flickering battery and brake light
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on flickering battery and brake light within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 2002 wrx wagon died last week...got a jump and got to the parts store, turned off, car was dead ...

flickering battery and brake light

My 2002 wrx wagon died last week...got a jump and got to the parts store, turned off, car was dead again, another jump and they were going to check the system, the car died again revving to 2000 rpm...They said my alternator was dead...Swapped alternator and tried to recharge battery...battery was dead...Put in new battery to go with new belts and alternator car cranks, stuff works BUT, now I get an occasional flicker of the battery/brake light...I did the work myself and am a novice...Any ideas? was wondering if belt tension was off or if I got a bad alternator....I will add that it happens mostly at 2000-300 rpms when the car is accelerating, but is intermittent, and the number accessories I'm running don't seem to affect it.. I have retightened the battery connections...and pushed the clip connector on the alternator, which seemed to be correct...I checked the document that came with the new alternator...it was rated at 90 amps...not 75, could that be it?

Tonight, I noticed when the lights did their flash, there was a noticeable increase in brightness on the dash...Then it faded quickly...then the ABS went on...then the lights faded until it died...I managed to coast in the dark into a parking space and abandon ship. So I'm wondering if I have faulty wiring to the alternator, a new alternator with a bad voltage regualtor, or a bad alternator...
    Living in DIY hell with the girlfriend....

Day 10
    A tow to the shop and 60 hours later...the garage said my battery was dead and the charging system was charging...did a warranty swap on the battery...2 miles from the garage going down the high, the battery/brake light lit up for a half second...so now its parked and I've ordered another alternator...hoping that I got a defective voltage regulator that is inside the new alternator...Any advice anywhere?

FINAL SOLUTION:
    New Alternator was defective...so if you have those flashing Brake/Battery warning lights...chances are, something like the voltage regulator, which resides inside the alternator is hanging....and putting a drain on your battery...the second swap eliminated the problem...and the original dead alternator never showed the flashing lights...Hopefully this will bubble up in a google search for some poor soul, like I was...Peace out
    Last edited by kw2005; 03-24-2008 at 06:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have an 02 and will be posting soon. I have some info that might help you. I found on my car that was having the same sort of problem and everything checked out okay it was the green alternator connector the terminals inside it started corroding so I took it apart and soldiered them plus the little tab that makes contact with the alternator terminal was bent flat inside the female end. I took a very small jule flat head and bent it back to the position that it should be to make good contact with the alternator. It should go at an angle inside the square female end. This fixed my problem but it is only temp. because really I want a new connector and Im trying to find them with no sucess so far. I want the new connector because the corrosion will not stop and ultimatly malfunction again which can cause the alternator to become destroyed plus ruin a battery. I would check this out if you have checked the belts already. Mine would come on if I stepped on it hard and would also go out if I did. Plus with braking also. I wiggled the connector with someone on the inside yelling to me when of and on. Hope this helps you

Didnt relize this was so old till after well anyway Im sure many people exspecally up north that are having this problem will need to check this. I also have the infamous 457 engine light and no vacume leaks found out it was the connector by the canister the wires were corroded beyond fixing.
    Last edited by spt02wrx; 02-20-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Didnt relize it was so old till later

flickering brake, battery and solid ABS

Guys - I've got just about the same problem. I've noticed that this problem is intermittent. When it exists, the car's voltage is reduced to 12v, which means the alternator isn't producing the normal 14v.

Thanks for posting kw2005 and spt02wrx, I was going to simply replace the alternator, but I'll try your fix first

I had a similar problem.

turned out my positive terminal connecter is loose and too corroded to tighten. so i hammered a nail in between connecter and terminal to wedge it in place. decent temporary fix.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.