looking for a little help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on looking for a little help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need some advice before I give up and revert to stock. I have thrown a P0420 CEL and fully ...

looking for a little help

I need some advice before I give up and revert to stock. I have thrown a P0420 CEL and fully understand that the issue has been discussed at length here and on other subaru sites. I just need advice on what to do next. I have a 2002 WRX. I bought an ebay turbo back exhaust (one recommended as "suitable" on here) that included a bellmouth design down pipe. I threw the code almost immediatly. I used the spark plug non-fouler "mechanical" fix but it did not help (with disconnecting the battery and resetting). I read on here that certian down pipes come with an extra O2 sensor bung that helps to eliminate the heating up issue, of which mine does, but placing it there did not help either. I have not tried the "electrical" fix which is using the supressor. I have to mention that I did not install the uppipe as it is not supposed to be necessary at my horsepower goals, the car also came with a AEM cold air intake, and I do not have a tune.
    My questions: Is a tune the most logical fix? I would lean to a COBB A.P. for that. Do I need to try and find a stock intake and chuck the AEM? Should I install the uppipe? Should I attempt the "electrical" fix (although I have heard issues of passing emissions)? Should I buy a new downstream O2 sensor?
    My car is currently running with expired emission stickers and my gas mileage is beating the crap out of me, as I drive a 100 miles a day. The CEL light is making my brain bleed, and half the time my car runs for crap (at around 2500 RPMs in any gear I sometimes have a lag feeling...it is either this boost creep or a limp mode). Thank you to anyone with solid advice. I apologize for the novel I have written here but if I can't fix this I am going to put back on my stock exhaust and say screw it to stage II.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    cobb ap would fix it right when u enter the map this is a very common problem with replacing the DP without tunning

Get some engine management and your problems should go away. You can't run that exhaust without it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I stopped reading as soon as you said you had no tune........
    You shouldnt look cross eyed at a subaru without a tune!
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #79
    DIRTY CREW #79

What kind of mechanical simulator do you have? The one I have installed, and the nine I've put in a wide variety of cars, all work flawlessly. AP will eliminate that code and a few others that cause your car to run like sh*t and set the MIL. AP is a very good choice and easy to use.
    Last edited by Destros; 03-09-2008 at 10:47 AM.
    -created in the ominous shadow of The Great Vassar-
    Blobeye Syndicate #Eleventy-Seven

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.