Ticking noise only heard under very light throttle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ticking noise only heard under very light throttle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Still have this problem . The car is a 2002 WRX with 90k miles, bone stock. The noise could be ...

Ticking noise only heard under very light throttle

Still have this problem .

The car is a 2002 WRX with 90k miles, bone stock.

The noise could be described as "ticking" I suppose. It is comign from the front of the car, although I can't tell if it's the engine or tranny. It only does it ABOVE 3000 RPM (loudest over 3500 RPM), only does it in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear (although very very quiet in 3rd), and it only does it when I apply VERY light throttle. By light throttle I mean just enough to keep a constant speed. If I let off the gas, or apply more throttle to accelerate quickly, the sound stops. I can also hear it when I shift, for just a split second as I let off the gas, just before I left off completely when I'm still applying "light" throttle, if that makes any sense.

I've had this sound for some time now, and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems, but it's just not normal. It also might be worth mentioning that I have a bad O2 sensor atm, although I'm not so sure that could have anything to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated, I just want to finally get rid of this annoying noise.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

90k service replaces the timing belt

was that done?
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Sounds like valve tap.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by SilverScooby02 View Post
    Still have this problem .

The car is a 2002 WRX with 90k miles, bone stock.

The noise could be described as "ticking" I suppose. It is comign from the front of the car, although I can't tell if it's the engine or tranny. It only does it ABOVE 3000 RPM (loudest over 3500 RPM), only does it in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear (although very very quiet in 3rd), and it only does it when I apply VERY light throttle. By light throttle I mean just enough to keep a constant speed. If I let off the gas, or apply more throttle to accelerate quickly, the sound stops. I can also hear it when I shift, for just a split second as I let off the gas, just before I left off completely when I'm still applying "light" throttle, if that makes any sense.

I've had this sound for some time now, and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems, but it's just not normal. It also might be worth mentioning that I have a bad O2 sensor atm, although I'm not so sure that could have anything to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated, I just want to finally get rid of this annoying noise.

Thanks
    i had that noise a while back and i was about 1/2 quart low

Sounds normal for my car... It's been doing it for ever, It's annoying for sure but I just ignore it and car now has over 167,500 miles and still going strong.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Do you have bomb in a front fender? Seriously.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

90k service replaces the timing belt

was that done?
    Haven't done this yet, but isn't the timing belt at 105k?

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    What weight oil do you have in the motor?
    5W-30, and the oil was checked a few days ago and it was full

5w-30 is too light for a motor with nearly 90k miles. Fact of the matter is, with 90k miles the motor is looser than it was stock, so now it's noisy. Nothing is broken, persay, but all the little ticks and groans and creeks and bumps are going to sound louder because you're basically using water for motor oil. Temperature permitting, try stepping up to a 10w-40 or a 15w-50 (in the summer). I personally run 10w-40 in my STi with 75k miles on it but will probably go thicker for the warm weather. I let my car warm up about 3-4 minutes every time I start it cold (in the morning, after sitting more than 6 hours, etc). Just a little extra something in there to help quiet everything down and give some extra cushion on critical engine parts.

5w-30 is too light for a motor with nearly 90k miles. Fact of the matter is, with 90k miles the motor is looser than it was stock, so now it's noisy. Nothing is broken, persay, but all the little ticks and groans and creeks and bumps are going to sound louder because you're basically using water for motor oil. Temperature permitting, try stepping up to a 10w-40 or a 15w-50 (in the summer). I personally run 10w-40 in my STi with 75k miles on it but will probably go thicker for the warm weather. I let my car warm up about 3-4 minutes every time I start it cold (in the morning, after sitting more than 6 hours, etc). Just a little extra something in there to help quiet everything down and give some extra cushion on critical engine parts.
    Do you really think 10w-40 would be feasible for sub zero temperatures though? Winters in NH can get pretty brutal, I've always been told that 5w-30 is best for our winters and anything heavier would be risking cold start damage. The problem was there in the summer/fall too, but I was using 5w-30 then as well. I'll try 10w-40 and see if it helps at all, but do you think I should wait until spring time? Temp is still getting down into the teens and 20s every night....

Thanks for the responses, it's nice to finally get some useful suggestions. I've asked numerous people/forums about this, and half the time I get "lol tighten heatshieldz noob" and the other half people just have no ideas.
    Last edited by SilverScooby02; 03-08-2008 at 07:50 AM.

You do still want to use a 5w for sub zero temps. Once the temps start to warm to 20's or better in the morning, you will be fine with a 10w oil.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Hate to be a downer or an alarmist but I think you spun a bearing... actually I all but guarantee it. For about 2-3 months when I would first start the car it almost sounded like crickets in the engine bay. Once the car warmed up...it would go away.

Then about a month ago I started getting a ticking noise at low RPM and - 25% throttle. Most specifically the noise came from somewhere on the drivers side, just under/in front of the intake manny.

The tick eventually turned into a clank. It got louder and louder and oscillates at the same rev as the engine, but mostly at extremely light throttle in lower gears. At this point it was just extremely embarrassing to drive it was so loud and crazy sounding. Like a golf ball in a coffee can.

Then, on my way to work last Monday, the rod shattered and the engine seized while I was going 30 mph down the road.

drum roll......the new engine will be here Thursday .

I seriously hope I'm wrong but it sounds to a tee my exact situation...I too have 90k on the car.
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

It's not a spun bearing. A spun bearing is way more than just "oh hey what's that noise?" A spun bearing is, "help my motor won't start, won't idle well, drives like garbage, AND has a ticking sound."

And no, you shouldn't use a 5w oil in sub zero temps. I didn't realize you were in NH...I'm in FL so it's not a big deal. Wait till it gets no colder than 20 degrees before you go heavier weight.

~Tim

It's not a spun bearing. A spun bearing is way more than just "oh hey what's that noise?" A spun bearing is, "help my motor won't start, won't idle well, drives like garbage, AND has a ticking sound."

~Tim
    That's after it has damaged the internals, it's progressive damge...you can drive with a spun bearing for 15k miles if you don't ever stress it too much. You said yourself: "with 90k miles the motor is looser than it was stock" . That's how bearings get spun, too much movement inside the block.

Again, I hope it isn't, but the EXACT same scenario he describes just happened to me less than 10 days ago.

Low oil is not going to make that noise that oscillates at the same speed as the engine...but whatever.

Just dump heavier weight oil in there so you can't hear it and everything will be ok Pretty sure used car salesman use the same tactics so good luck with that. I suggest you pay the $88 and take it to a dealership for diagnostics so you don't do anymore, irreparable damage "thinking" it's one thing when it's actually another.

So your in FL Tim? Have you been to any of the AWD meets we've had lately? www.floridasubarus.com you should stop by!
    Last edited by Sooby-Doo; 03-09-2008 at 08:48 AM.
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

OK - this is a big departure from what the other, more experienced guys have mentionen, but here's my $.02

Turbo Wastegate.

The RPM range is right where the Turbo starts spooling on the 2.0L (I think)
    WOT makes it go away
    No Throttle makes it go away.
    Sound disappears at higher and lower revs (when Wastegate is not in flux)

sounds very similar to what I here on my slightly used '07 (though at a different rev-points)

One other thought - when I first got my car, it sounded really loud, and I was very frustrated - until one day I was checking my tranny fluid and noticed there was a rubber buching on one of the wires as it goes through the firewall that was missing. I found that it had come out of the hole, and slid up the wire a few inches.

I slid it back down, popped it in the hole, and the volume of the sound decreased by 85%. Barely noticeable now, I am sure I am the only one who's in my car that ever hears it.

The only thing wrong with my thoery is that 4th and 5th are unaffected for you... hmm... I dunno, I guess just one more thing to think about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.