ticking under the hood

This is a discussion on ticking under the hood within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so after i had an amp installed last night ive noticed this weird ticking noise coming from under the hood, ...

ticking under the hood

so after i had an amp installed last night ive noticed this weird ticking noise coming from under the hood, but its only when i get into higher RPMS.... its kind of starting to concern me... i checked my oil and it is fine, and my temp is normal as well....can anyone help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like a valve ticking. Does it speed up/slow down directly with engine RPM?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

yeah that exactly what it does... if thats what it is, would it be an expensive fix?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Any chance it is coming through the speakers?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

no...its def from under the hood...

Sounds normal except that you didn't notice it before you did something to the car....are you sure it wasn't there all along? Did you move/change/touch/unplug/unbolt anything under the hood?

Banned
    Sounds like your sitting in the engine bay right??? Sounds like there is a whole ton more noise coming from the engine doesn't it.

The reason is who ever intalled the amp forgot to put the little 1/2" gromet back in place. I could not believe how much noise leaked through that little hole. It should be behind the gas pedal. Check it out and go slap who ever installed your amp.

i didnt do the install i had a local shop do it... but i looked at the job they did and it does not seem like they had to remove anything. and the noise is def a not normal...

are you sure non of your wiring from the amp isnt touching anything like a belt, something that may make the noise...
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    i didnt do the install i had a local shop do it... but i looked at the job they did and it does not seem like they had to remove anything. and the noise is def a not normal...
    I'm telling you dude. That gromet in the firewall is gone. The noise that leaks into the car through that little hole is amazing.

Check under the gas pedal.. were they ran the wire trough to your battery.

well the gromet was there but real loose (plenty of space for noise to leak) i couldnt get it back in tight so i cut a piece of a old shirt and got some electrical tape and plugged it up. might not be a good idea, im not sure if anything would make the cloth ignite but i guesse ill find out hopefully not. i hope the sound is gone thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    well the gromet was there but real loose (plenty of space for noise to leak) i couldnt get it back in tight so i cut a piece of a old shirt and got some electrical tape and plugged it up. might not be a good idea, im not sure if anything would make the cloth ignite but i guesse ill find out hopefully not. i hope the sound is gone thanks
    Way to go Macgyver
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2