Help with DCCD plug in rear diff

This is a discussion on Help with DCCD plug in rear diff within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I replaced my exhaust this week ('04 STi) and while I was working on it, I noticed that the DCCD ...

Help with DCCD plug in rear diff

I replaced my exhaust this week ('04 STi) and while I was working on it, I noticed that the DCCD plug that screws into the rear diff was broken. The plastic plug was broken off where it screws into the diff and just held on by the metal connectors. I want to replace this, but talking to the parts guy at the dealer things just don't make sense. He said the plug is only a plug with no wiring attached, but when I looked at it, it appears to be a plug with attached wiring that runs up front to the switch. Does anybody have any experience with this plug? Is the plug and wiring all one piece, or separate? Is it above or below the fluid level in the diff? In the stock WRX, the plug is just a plug where you fill the diff, but where is the fill point on the STi?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the Repair manual CD at home. I'll look it up tonight If i remember.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Awesome, thanks Jeremy. I couldn't find any info about this and the parts guy wasn't sure.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Let me dredge up my old thread that nobody was able to help with. The Subaru dealer had no idea what the part was and it's not correctly listed in any of their parts or repair manuals. I figured out what it is last night when I was driving at <edited for super unsafe speed> on a local road on my way home from work and a "Rear Diff Temp" red light popped up on the dash. The high speed must have generated enough wind or something to pop the broken sensor apart. I stuck it back together and the light on the dash went away.

It's strange to me that this is a temp sensor since the WRX doesn't have this part.
    Scott

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Let me dredge up my old thread that nobody was able to help with. The Subaru dealer had no idea what the part was and it's not correctly listed in any of their parts or repair manuals. I figured out what it is last night when I was driving at <edited for super unsafe speed> on a local road on my way home from work and a "Rear Diff Temp" red light popped up on the dash. The high speed must have generated enough wind or something to pop the broken sensor apart. I stuck it back together and the light on the dash went away.

It's strange to me that this is a temp sensor since the WRX doesn't have this part.
    Well the STi and WRX use different diffs so its not too much of a stretch. I bet its some part of a safety for the DCCD and rear LSD. In any event, take the broken sensor into Subaru with you. A lot of times they can cross reference the number on the part easier than they can look it up.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

The dealer eventually found the part and I already have the replacement ($130 later!). I just need to install it and I've been lazy since even though the existing plug is physically broken, it still works.
    Scott