06 wrx trans clicking noise

This is a discussion on 06 wrx trans clicking noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; bought a used 06 WRX 2.5 turbo 5 speed with 26k miles only in first gear at low rpms there ...

06 wrx trans clicking noise

bought a used 06 WRX 2.5 turbo 5 speed with 26k miles only in first gear at low rpms there is a clicking noise if i let off the gas it goes away. help me. please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 06WRXTREME View Post
    bought a used 06 WRX 2.5 turbo 5 speed with 26k miles only in first gear at low rpms there is a clicking noise if i let off the gas it goes away. help me. please.
    mine made that noise right before first shredded.

and i thought you were dez from your SN. glad her trans isn't toasted but i do feel sorry for you!

tick tick tick tick tick ... boom
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    what he said!

micah, is that what happenned to yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    thats what im guessing
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

thanks. i think now that i know subaru stuck it too me !!!!! they sold me the car then told me it had an after-market trans, diff turbo and programming or the sparkling WRX had me from hello ... how bad is the fix

if its an 06 you should be under warranty
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    what he said!

micah, is that what happenned to yours?
    No - mine was fine up until I shifted into 2nd too fast while racing a friends SRT4. The truly sad thing is, I had already beaten him once already - and at the next light I knew he was going to try even harder, so I was shifting more aggressively. When I shifted from first to second, I never got the clutch all the way out or not more than a moment before I heard my gearbox doing it's best kareoke of Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction". I put the clutch back in, and managed to get the car in 3rd gear and slowly pulled into a parking lot. As the car was driving I could hear and feel metal pieces moving around, it sounded like a coffee can full of bolts being shook. I took it out of gear and shut off the car. When the flatbed from AAA arrived I was unable to move the gear shift at all.

Fortunately I was able to find a decent deal on a six speed swap shortly after. A few people who were friends of mine and my younger brother were amazed that I was so calm about the whole thing. But I knew I had months before I needed to drive the car as it was summer and my 350Z would be a decent substitute until the Subaru was fixed.

I just started driving the 350Z again this week. My first turn was an "S" type turn and I was sideways around the second half, though traction control sorted things out quickly enough. While I miss the boost of the WRX, the 350Z is quieter, and gets slightly better miles per gallon(Z gets 26 and WRX gets 22). They just lowered the speed limit on the NJ parkway from milemarkers 80 through 100, and I live at 80 and work at 105 so there's less incentive to drive the WRX as police are ticket happy right now. Cruise control FTW.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    if its an 06 you should be under warranty
    not with all that \/\/\/

thanks. i think now that i know subaru stuck it too me !!!!! they sold me the car then told me it had an after-market trans, diff turbo and programming or the sparkling WRX had me from hello ... how bad is the fix

warranty

Speaking of the warranty I took the car in for this "click" that is when they tell me "the trans is fine, and by the way thats and aftermarket trans so not covered by warranty go fig.

A six speed swap can be done for roughly 3000 if you get hooked up on a used transmission and can do the work yourself. In my case, I didn't do any work - paid $3200 for the trans and parts required, then $900 for labor. About a month or so later I added the DCCD controller from www.dccdpro.com (auto with oem knob).

The six speed is the best option for a daily driven WRX. If you are planning on taking the car to the drag strip then you might want to look into a PPG gearset.

Banned
    GM BSC's make a clicking noise. Does it sound like it is coming from the pasenger side of the car. The BCS noise goes away when press on the gas. I would take some under hood pics pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    GM BSC's make a clicking noise. Does it sound like it is coming from the pasenger side of the car. The BCS noise goes away when press on the gas. I would take some under hood pics pronto.
    it oly happens in first though...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    it oly happens in first though...
    I don't here mine after first or after the car is warm for that matter. Very very noticeable on cold start ups. Sound like the an aliens under the hood.

Oh and based on the known knowlege of the car I wouldn't doubt a GM BCS. Sounds like he has an OS reflash