turbo issue

This is a discussion on turbo issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright so the car I'm purchasing is a 2003 WRX, and it's been modified, some. BOV, GReddy exhaust, turbo timer, ...

Question turbo issue

Alright so the car I'm purchasing is a 2003 WRX, and it's been modified, some. BOV, GReddy exhaust, turbo timer, boost controller. I'm new to the turbo world and already i know this thing isn't spooling right in first gear. I've driven an 04 WRX with a VF34 and all accompanying mods, and that's my only comparison to base off of. Anyway first gear feels jerky, like the car jumps a few times before it really builds that power up. Second gear up, fine. Only first. I'm hoping this is a tuning issue that can be easily dealt with, but I'm new to turbos and could really use some feedback. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

replace the BOV with a recirculatory valve, the BOV makes it run right and makes the car feel very jumpy! i had one on mine and went back to the stock recirc valve and it make it smooth as glass, boost control is kinda scary to, not many peps recommend it on the wrx, but i dont kno much about why

Quote Originally Posted by MisterChristie View Post
    Alright so the car I'm purchasing is a 2003 WRX, and it's been modified, some. BOV, GReddy exhaust, turbo timer, boost controller. I'm new to the turbo world and already i know this thing isn't spooling right in first gear. I've driven an 04 WRX with a VF34 and all accompanying mods, and that's my only comparison to base off of. Anyway first gear feels jerky, like the car jumps a few times before it really builds that power up. Second gear up, fine. Only first. I'm hoping this is a tuning issue that can be easily dealt with, but I'm new to turbos and could really use some feedback. Thanks!
    Hey.. Welcome to the club!!! I'm pretty sure that most of your biggest problem with your turbo not spooling correctly would be the boost controller that you have!! You definently need to get rid of the aftermarket boost controller and swapping out the Bov wouldn't be a bad idea either!!
    Black 03 Impreza WRX (Fully Rebuilt Motor 15,xxx Miles )
    Stromung Cat Back Exhaust
    Upper Front Tower Brace
    Stage 1

no engine management with those mods???? walk away from the car....boost controller...bad.....BOV....bad(i still use one though...lol).....turbo timer....not usefull.....exhaust with no EM....bad.....high miles on the car(prolly)......bad
    MY Mods...
    2004 WRX OPB....58k...open source tuned...VF 39 Turbo...Pink 565cc injectors...Walbro FP... Godspeed FMIC...Turbo XS Stealthback Exhaust...Gimmik Turbo Inlet...Gimmik Rad. Hoses...COBB SF Intake...EXedy Lightweight Flywheel...F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch...Perrin Crank Pulley...Perrin Afta-MAF Hose...HKS Up Pipe...Kartboy Short Shifter and Bushings....lots-o-suspention...

sell that car or strip off all the mods.

OR get em and a tune.

It's got just over 50,000 miles on it. I personally like buying a car that needs some work, hopefully not a lot of work haha, but enough to satisfy my craving to take things apart and fix them. AND FOR THE RECORD yes, bad thread title. BUT I thought maybe my problem was electronic, which would explain my post location choice. Again I apologize! Also thank you to everyone who had HELPFUL feedback!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Have you already bought it? If not don't. The way the car was modified indicates the owner didn't know what they were doing at all.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

You think so? OK now I'm starting to wonder.. I'm waiting on a return email from the owner, I sent him a list of questions I found in the purchasing thread. An unusual amount of time has passed since then too.. I dunno we'll see what he says, but damn it's hard to say no when it's so close. This certainly is testing my will power

If you haven't bought the car yet, I would walk away. The previous owner didn't know much about tuning a subie, they have gone the total "ricer" way, for a lack of better words at the moment.

boost controller = -1
    BOV = -1
    no em = -1

try to find one that has been granny driven and babied, even if it has more miles...

Another vote for walking away from that car. The mods it has and the problems you've already noticed could turn into a lot of $$$. In general, do not buy a modified Impreza or Subaru in general because there's a good chance, like the one you're looking at, that it's been done incorrectly and may have done bad things to the car.

There's a difference between buying a car that needs work and a car that is a candidate for a catastrophic failure of some kind.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Boost controller bad. The computer handles boost control. When you try to manually overide the computer, they fight one another. Constantly. BOV bad. Rough idle. Longer re-boost time. Recirc between shifts you'll drop maybe 3lbs. So you can just stay in boost all the time. BOV you lose it all, run mad rich(around 9.4 :1) between shifts, and have less mpg.
    -created in the ominous shadow of The Great Vassar-
    Blobeye Syndicate #Eleventy-Seven