Can't retract radio antenna

This is a discussion on Can't retract radio antenna within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is annoying as the thing vibrates over bumps, and I never use the radio. I've tried penetrating fluid, twisting ...

Can't retract radio antenna

This is annoying as the thing vibrates over bumps, and I never use the radio.

I've tried penetrating fluid, twisting the antenna, and gripping it with pliers and whacking it with a hammer, all to no avail. The thing is frozen. How do I take it apart to figure out what is causing it to stick?
    2002 MBP 5SP WRX sedan.
    Mods: OEM short throw, Kartboy shifter bushings and Rallyarmor mudflaps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bumpage.
    2002 MBP 5SP WRX sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
    This is annoying as the thing vibrates over bumps, and I never use the radio.

I've tried penetrating fluid, twisting the antenna, and gripping it with pliers and whacking it with a hammer, all to no avail. The thing is frozen. How do I take it apart to figure out what is causing it to stick?
    I had the same problem on my 2002 WRX. Mine was bent slightly. I was unsuccessful in repairing the existing antenna and ended up replacing it with a $20 aftermarket Metra TY205 antenna I picked up at Autozone. For your reference, the local Subaru dealership quoted $200 to replace it.

The metal antenna normally retracts in to a white tube that runs down the length of the pillar. If you undo the two visible screws, you'll be able to see the white tube it retracts in to, and the black antenna wire that connects the antenna to your radio unit. Pull it up only half an inch or so, as there isn't much slack. That's unfortunately what makes it difficult to fix without taking the entire antenna out. The antenna wire runs down the pillar, comes out a hole in the floor near it, and runs underneath the driver's side carpet (taped down pretty well, you can feel it underneath with your fingers), and to the back of the radio unit (plugged in).

If you decide to replace it yourself, the trick is to tie a string to one end of the antenna wire before you remove it, so you'll have a way to pull the new antenna wire back through the pillar.
    Last edited by TWRX; 03-30-2008 at 06:31 AM.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give taking it apart another shot. I never use the radio anyway, just the CD player.

Welcome to the forums, too!
    2002 MBP 5SP WRX sedan.