Fancuts on as soon as i start car.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fancuts on as soon as i start car. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whats up everyone, heres the issue Its winter and really cold where im at, but as soon as I turn ...

Fancuts on as soon as i start car.

Whats up everyone, heres the issue

Its winter and really cold where im at, but as soon as I turn my car on the fan starts to kick on and off. I figured it shouldn't cause the car is really cold .

Im wondering if this is normal or is there something wrong here...
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

Mods
    Cobb Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

AC on or you have it set to defrost, then the AC will come on and fans will also come on...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

OK I took some time to really investigate the issue today and it turns out that the AC cuts on and off when the fan is turned on, even if the AC button is not pressed or the Defrost button.

So as soon as i turn the fan nob to 1 the AC starts to kick on for a sec then of, then after a like 30 secs it turns back on for a moment then turns back off. This continues to happen until i turn the fan off, (turn to 0)...

Is this supposed to happen?
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

Mods
    Cobb Stage 2

1. If its really cold why are you using the ac?
    2. Eliminate the buttons and ac altogether and see if the fan operates as it should, its supose to kick in when the car is hot.
    3. Then start playing with the buttons one at a time, making sure they work.
    4. If then the fan cuts out you know you have a problem.

Thats what I would have tried...
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

^ yeah thats what i would do too
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Just came back from my car,

If you start the car and put the AC on the fan should kick in (rightaway)... switch off the ac and the fan stops!

Have you done any logging or tuning recently... I know when the car is in logging mode the fan goes on/off repetedly?
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

the ac cuts on and off even when the ac button is not pushed in. This happens only when i have the air on, even when i have the heat up. The ac button is never pressed in or lit.

Mods
    Cobb Stage 2

which model car do you have.

You should have two fans. One is for the aircon and one is for the cooling of the radiator.

Which one is cycling on and off. are you sure it is the AC one

Do you get cold air coming into the cabin? Can you verify that the aircon pulley clutch is engaged. ie the compressor is running with the ac switch off. Then you may need to get a VOM on there to check the wiring for a short at the switch. The fan and ac button work as inline switches. Check the button for non/continuity when cycled.

PS you can try cleaning the connectors going in to the fans.
    Last edited by silver6933; 03-03-2008 at 02:06 AM.

Have you tried switching from the defrost only, to the heat or defrost and legs airflow settings as the defrost only airflow setting also turns on the AC...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Like ^^^ said, turn all of the interior things off, IE: blower motor, defog/defrosters, lights, radio, etc. Then start the car, if the fans come on, I would guess (although I've mostly worked on 50-80's model cars) that the thermostat may be bad. If the fans don't come on, problem fixed.

BTW: do you leave your ac on when you turn off the car?

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    as the defrost only airflow setting also turns on the AC...
    Really?? what year car do you have?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by JMack View Post
    BTW: do you leave your ac on when you turn off the car?

if the car is off how could the AC be on?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    Really?? what year car do you have?
    "02, But I'm pretty sure the AC comes on in all cars when airflow setting is on, just defrost windshield airflow...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    "02, But I'm pretty sure the AC comes on in all cars when airflow setting is on, just defrost windshield airflow...
    i dont think it does on our cars, the defrost is just hot air from the heater, and it has to be outside air too keep the moisture down if it was Air conditioned the moisture would be taken out that way..

try turning your defrost and recirculation on at the same time your car will fog up quick.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    i dont think it does on our cars, the defrost is just hot air from the heater, and it has to be outside air too keep the moisture down if it was Air conditioned the moisture would be taken out that way..

try turning your defrost and recirculation on at the same time your car will fog up quick.
    No, I'm 100% certain that the AC comes on in my '02 wrx when I put the defrost selector to windshield only even tho the AC button is not on. Same with my wife's ECHO...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast