Overheating, anti-freeze explosion, and brownish anti-freeze?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Overheating, anti-freeze explosion, and brownish anti-freeze? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Houston, we have a problem Alright well last night I was driving home, and I noticed my temp gauge rapidly ...

Overheating, anti-freeze explosion, and brownish anti-freeze?

Houston, we have a problem

Alright well last night I was driving home, and I noticed my temp gauge rapidly climbing. When I say rapidly, I mean it went from the normal position (just under half) to just under the red in a matter of 10-15 seconds. I was about to shut down, but I started moving a bit and it went back down to about 2/3 full on the gauge, so I limped it home the rest of the mile or 2.

So I park it, and I can already smell the anti-freeze from inside in the car, so I already know what's coming. Sure enough, I pop the hood, and it looks like someone dumped a bucket of dirty antifreeze in my engine bay. The **** is everywhere and it has a brownish/gray color to it, but from the smell, it's clearly mostly antifreeze. I also noticed a few spots where the liquid had already dried, it left a whitish/milky residue. I'll have to check again when I get home, now that everything's dry, but I couldn't tell where all the antifreeze came from because it was dripping from just about everywhere at this point.

I'm no mechanic, but the brownish color indicates oil in my antifreeze, coupled with rapid overheating, and I'm looking at tell-tale signs of a blown head gasket, is that correct? If it is the head gasket, what can I expect for repair costs? Can I save money on labor with a DIY job? Are there any other possible problems that could cause these symptoms?

Only thing that I'm confused about is that if an antifreeze grenade went off in my car, plus oil was mixed with it, why are both my oil and coolant reservoirs 100% full, exactly where I left them 3 days ago when I wasn't having any problems? I didn't overfill, 100% positive. Added 1/2 quart oil and a few drops of coolant a few days ago, checked levels, then checked again 24 hours later and both were at full, exactly where I left them. So, if they're still at these exact levels, where did the anti-freeze and oil come from that's all over my engine bay?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by SilverScooby02; 03-01-2008 at 01:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.