Cooling system
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cooling system within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone, noticed last night for the 2nd time my temp needle raises into the hot while standing still... and ...

Cooling system

Hi everyone, noticed last night for the 2nd time my temp needle raises into the hot while standing still... and when I pull off and drive it comes down to the normal operating temp... fan operates as per normal.

When I got home I checked the reservoir and it was full of water... the car was still hot so I didnít want to open the accumulator res, itís like the water is not circulating?
    So this morning I did the same check and saw that everything was back to normal... could it be that the THERMOSTAT gets stuck?
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

when is the last time you flushed the system ?

u might want to burp it
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Sounds like a plan Batman! Can you tell me how to do it please?

thanks!
    Member #0135

take the upper radiator cap off(the one closest to the turbo) and start the car add water till all of the air comes out... also squeeze the radiator hose a few times to help
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Dude youre a Life saver, I will try that!
    Member #0135

Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsti View Post
    Dude youre a Life saver, I will try that!
    thanks i aim to please
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Ok here goes;
    1.Before I started the car I opend the radiator res... some buildt up air escaped?
    2.I started the car with the cap off and filled it with some water, it took about 500ml
    3.As the car heated up I gradualy added more water... some bubbles did boil out and like you said by pressing the hose coming from the radiator it let out some more bubbles.
    4.Everything looked fine water wasnt getting really hot so I waited until the fan kicks in... knowing the thermostat will open before the fan kicks in.
    5.Then the water really started to boil out and the fan kicked in soon after.
    6.I shut down the car and placed the cap back on.

Anything I missed?
    Member #0135

I Support ClubWRX
    You may have to repeat the process to get all the air out; time will tell. However, by simply doing all that you've confirmed two crucial things: that the thermostat opens and that the rad fan kicks in.

How did this all start? Did you flush the coolant recently or what?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah its reasuring...

Well I poored a bottle of antifreeze in and replaced the stock cap with a hks one. <--- Could any of these be contributing factors?
    Member #0135

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsti View Post
    Yeah its reasuring...

Well I poored a bottle of antifreeze in and replaced the stock cap with a hks one. <--- Could any of these be contributing factors?
    Why were you low on antifreeze? Is there a leak somewhere or? Does the replacement radiator cap have the same pressure rating as the original?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

well buddy unfortunately i just blew out my endtanks today.

On these model years

usually the temp gauge above normal indicates > 100C

You may have gotten air in the system if you recently replaced the coolant.

But if you did not replace the coolant recently, then get a HG check at a radiator place. You may also want to look for coolant leaks(check for the dried stains).

Also your car is old enough to need a good flush

It is really hot now in SA

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Why were you low on antifreeze? Is there a leak somewhere or? Does the replacement radiator cap have the same pressure rating as the original?
    I kept topping it up with the antifreeze, poored the whole bottle in over a 2day spread. The hks cap has 1.1kg rating on it...

Member #0135

Quote Originally Posted by silver6933 View Post
    well buddy unfortunately i just blew out my endtanks today.

On these model years

usually the temp gauge above normal indicates > 100C

You may have gotten air in the system if you recently replaced the coolant.

But if you did not replace the coolant recently, then get a HG check at a radiator place. You may also want to look for coolant leaks(check for the dried stains).

Also your car is old enough to need a good flush

It is really hot now in SA
    I must add, that when I got the car it looked like the radiator was replaced, but its only acting up like 2 months later... could be many things, me driving the car harder or weather changing, call it what you like...
    I cant see any recent stains... there is alot of stains from before I had the car... my guess is the radiator blew and they replaced it cause it looks brand new..

After doing the "burp" (excuse me) the car seems alot better...?
    Member #0135

Oh and in the interm I have replaced the hks cap with the original one...

Member #0135

Update,
    I have done the burping of the sytem now a couple of times and notice that the only time the car temp clibs is after I have driven it really hard... if I then open the cap (after it cooled down) it does blow air out and it takes a bit of water like 250ml to bring it to the brim.

Also I cleaned out the filler tank next to the radiator and noticed that it was filthy, the buildup inside it looked like mud! So I can only imagine what the rest of the system must look like.

I will be doing a full flush of the system soon, anyone got any tips on doing this?

sweet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sti_new_engine.jpg  
    Member #0135

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.