2002 wrx noise @ Speed Help Youtube video.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx noise @ Speed Help Youtube video. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello I need help. What that humming noise while I drive at highway speeds. I was thinking wheel bearings or ...

2002 wrx noise @ Speed Help Youtube video.

Hello

I need help. What that humming noise while I drive at highway speeds. I was thinking wheel bearings or timing belt. I Know the T belt is due. I did take off the T Belt cover and all looked good no metal shavings or torn belt ect ect.

1. Owned the car since 29k
    2. Just replaced Center diff and rear dif fliuds.
    3. Removed all belts and ran down highway off battery and noise still there.
    4. Did Ac and Power Steer belt change however broke both adjustment bolts due to Auto zone selling me wrong size belt, too big.
    5. 100% Stock other than short shift kit.
    6. 105k on the clock. all mant has been completed.

Please take a listen, anyone have this same noise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDR8OG-8YM
    Last edited by Djart; 02-25-2008 at 09:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think its to do with the design of the windows. I didnt listen/watch the vid because im watching pulp fiction. But, I would be surprised if this wasnt the case. I will check back in a bit and listen to it later
    Cobb Stage 2

ROO good deal I would not stop watching that movie for anything, ENGLISH M F DO YOU SPEAK IT!! God I love that movie! Many thanks for the insight, check out the big brain on brad!! Take a listen and tell me what you think. Many thanks
    Last edited by Djart; 02-25-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Just listened and I have no idea. Is the turbo holding boost? I couldnt tell from the vid, but that could be an area of concern as well. Any reputable shops in your area?
    Cobb Stage 2

Boost is fine engine is 100% I was thinking wheel baring but they all seem tight. I am lost. timing belt issue? Who Knows thanks for the listen! !

Holy dog turds...

What you have in your video is the same noise that I get from my 2002 wagon.

It is a whirring gear whine, and it is loudest when the car is moving any speed and power is not applied (off the gas or in neutral).

I have been hunting the threads to see if anyone else has had these sound issues, and has been able to get them fixed, but I have not seen anyone who has cracked to the code yet.

My noises started getting noticable at around 40,000+ miles. I had to have my tranny worked on at this time, a warrenty repair for a broken shifter arm. I also had them replace the fly and clutch as well.

The tranny now is shifting a whole lot better, but my gear whirring has gotten louder.

I'll be having them take a listen new service. I'll try to update if they offer an explaination.
    Mmmmmm....

Mustangs for lunch!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Most of the whirring and whistling is normal. However, sometimes there's a high pitched, almost "electronic" or "stator motor" style sound like an old sci-fi film sound effect. That's sometimes the throw-out bearing and sometimes the output shaft bearings on the gearbox. I remember my car having a higher pitched noise but the tone changed like yours, and it was the output shaft bearing fault. Done before 30K under warranty though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.