WRK problems
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRK problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a stock 02 WRX that has been acting odd periodically. Every so often you can hear the belt ...

WRK problems

I have a stock 02 WRX that has been acting odd periodically.

Every so often you can hear the belt slip/squeak, and above 4k RPM the RPM's fall by 1K and then it grabs and starts to climb again even though my foot doesn't come off the gas.

I have more of a mustang background and know next to nothing about the subaru. My first guess would be the clutch is beginning to let go and the belt just needs to be tightened, but I'm not real sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by slammed95gt View Post
    I have a stock 02 WRX that has been acting odd periodically.

Every so often you can hear the belt slip/squeak, and above 4k RPM the RPM's fall by 1K and then it grabs and starts to climb again even though my foot doesn't come off the gas.

I have more of a mustang background and know next to nothing about the subaru. My first guess would be the clutch is beginning to let go and the belt just needs to be tightened, but I'm not real sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the RPM's are falling it's not a clutch. If it's slipping RPM's should raise under load.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

It seems like the clutch isnt disengaging all the way..

Sounds like a slipping clutch to me. It will get worse and you will know for sure. Maybe time to start setting aside some money for a clutch job.

I'm having the same problem with my 02 wrx. When give my car too much throttle, the clutch begins to slip and my RPMs jump a lot. A few seconds later, after the applied torque has decreased, the clutch overcomes the slippage and slowly re-engages. I am replacing my clutch soon. You can find them on ebay for around 300-400 dollars. If you have access to a lift, replacing it shouldn't be that hard. The hardest part is getting the correct tools. Otherwise, having someone else install it can be a huge rip-off.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    +1 slipping clutch, slipping belt.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    If the RPM's are falling it's not a clutch. If it's slipping RPM's should raise under load.
    It is common for them to "catch" but really the load is just less so the RPMs fall back to where they should have been.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Ive watched it over the last couple of weeks and can only get the problem to present itself under very specific conditions. In 5th gear @60mph and about 2200rpm if you give it gas and let it lug as soon as it hits 3k rpm it jumps all the way up to 4k rpm then falls and begins to climb again...the speedometer continues to climb...and my boost gauge isnt reading as much as it usually does(dont know if its related) but as far as a clutch goes i never have any other problems hills and stop and go traffic etc...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.