Squealing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Squealing within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; squeal happens when I first fire her up in the a.m. It will go away after it warms up a ...

Squealing

squeal happens when I first fire her up in the a.m.
    It will go away after it warms up a minute and hits ~1200rpms.
    Back out of the driveway and turn the wheel and it skips (power steering issue involved)

Thing is: I could be sitting at a light and pop her into first (rolling) and she'll be squealing.

Any ideas?
    TIA,
    STomp
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Belt. Tighten or replace.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Belt. Tighten or replace.
    Timing belt?

I just had it replaced in late August.
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!

Power steering belt. It's worn and glassy. Buy a good quality replacement belt, not a cheap one.

Tightening it may help, but it puts more stress on the bearings in all the components it wraps around and shortens their lives. So just replace it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Power steering belt. If it's worn and glassy. Buy a good quality replacement belt, not a cheap one.

Tightening it may help, but it puts more stress on the bearings in all the components it wraps around and shortens their lives. So just replace it.
    +1

Sorry I wasn't more specific Mike.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Power steering belt. It's worn and glassy. Buy a good quality replacement belt, not a cheap one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    +1

Sorry I wasn't more specific Mike.
    Thanks, fellas!

How much does this normally run?
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    The belts themselves are inexpensive, and even if you pay someone to replace both the external belts you're looking at an hour labour (for 30 minutes worth of work). If there is someone local to you and you have the means to bribe them, swing by a dealer, buy the works belts, and DIY.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If you do change the belts. Be careful with where you buy the BELTS, the auto zone computer will sell you a belt that is just a bit too big. When you try to install It, you will first snap the adjustment bolt next to the alternator. You will then crack the Ac pulley bracket. This will happen because you will try to get the belt tight with in specs and not realize you are at the end of the adjustment. Thus bolts will snap and things will crack.

As for the job, it takes 25 min of your time! Very easy! Mind you I am not a mechanic. But I did stay at a Holiday inn express last night!

I Support ClubWRX
    Easy to do Lude, buy good belts. I like Goodyear, etc.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Banned
    Just make sure and losen the bolt on the tensioner pully before trying to force it into tension. IT will snap.... and you will be like damb!

if you just had your belts replaced in august, could it be possible that it is the powersteering pump? could the bearing be starting to freeze up?

I have the samething happening to me and I just replaced my belts before winter. It mainly does it when I turn my wheel, but also when i down shift and it is really really cold out, like -3 or colder.

just a thought.
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

Thanks for the advice, fellas!
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!

you should let me know why you find out, I'm going to be looking into mine as soon as the snow gets off the ground and I can actually work on my car again.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

I'm having the same problem, my local dealer wants $85 bucks to replace the belt. But from what I gather in this thread it's not too hard to do yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    I'm having the same problem, my local dealer wants $85 bucks to replace the belt. But from what I gather in this thread it's not too hard to do yourself.
    It really isn't that bad to do it yourself, though 85.00 isn't bad either.
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.