turbo wastegate question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on turbo wastegate question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well, to start things off, about a month ago, I was pulling on to the highway and when I put ...

turbo wastegate question

well, to start things off, about a month ago, I was pulling on to the highway and when I put my car into third, the engine suddenly died.

When I had a mechanic work on the car, it was discovered that my turbo wastegate had jammed. I'm not too knowledgeable about turbos, but would that cause the engine to misfire? What could cause it to jam? Is there something to prevent that from happening? The mechanic told me to get a turbo timer, that heat from the turbo caused it, but with a water cooled turbo, that sounds like BS. I think a turbo timer would be a waste of money.

Also, after getting my car back, I can hear air when I step on the gas, would a K&N drop in do that? Also, after spooling the turbo and letting back on the gas, I can hear pressure being released. I have a 2005 WRX, completely stock, except for the K&N drop-in filter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLightsaber View Post
    well, to start things off, about a month ago, I was pulling on to the highway and when I put my car into third, the engine suddenly died.

When I had a mechanic work on the car, it was discovered that my turbo wastegate had jammed. I'm not too knowledgeable about turbos, but would that cause the engine to misfire? What could cause it to jam? Is there something to prevent that from happening? The mechanic told me to get a turbo timer, that heat from the turbo caused it, but with a water cooled turbo, that sounds like BS. I think a turbo timer would be a waste of money.

Also, after getting my car back, I can hear air when I step on the gas, would a K&N drop in do that? Also, after spooling the turbo and letting back on the gas, I can hear pressure being released. I have a 2005 WRX, completely stock, except for the K&N drop-in filter.
    I don't know what caused it to jam but that is unusual and a timer seems unnecessary still.

I'm not sure what you mean by misfire, but yes it could cause a number of problems associated with overboosting. Basically there is no way for the exhaust gasses to bypass the turbine so the compressor keeps cranking it up. It sounds like your EM did its job and noticed that the boost was climbing so you hit fuel cut (car died).

Yes, a filter could affect the amount of intake & turbo noises you are hearing a little bit. Was this added during the repairs or are you just now noticing it? It sounds like you are describing the BPV and normal boost noises.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thanks for the info

I figured the sounds from the filter were normal, but couldn't be too sure. When the car hit overboost and died, I tried restarting the car, and it would start, the rpms would spike to ~1k then drop until the car died. I would have to give the car constant gas to keep it from dying. That is when the CEL light came on. After pushing the car home, I read the codes to be: misfire in cylinder 1-4. After cleaning the wastegate and the MAF, the car ran fine again. Just seems really wierd to me.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.