Is my water pump failing?

This is a discussion on Is my water pump failing? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Guys i have a strange noise on start up, only after the car has been sitting for more than approx ...

Is my water pump failing?

Guys i have a strange noise on start up, only after the car has been sitting for more than approx 4 hours. When i start the car i get a strange rotational (sound is directly tied to engine RPM, more RPM faster sound 'whiiirrr' sound followed by a high pitched squeak (not a belt squeak) . Both sounds go away after about 2-3 min of idling in the garage, then the car drives and runs fine.

In many older cars Ive owned this whir and whine would be the initial signs of a falling water pump, however my STI does not leak fluid nor does it run at inconsistent temps. I'm thinking of just taking it in, but i hate to give a shop directions like "listen to the funny sound then charge me to fix it". Any help is appreciated

The STI has about 64k on it and has been maintained generally very well. Thanks!
    If you ever go back in time, dont touch anything.

2005 STi
    Cobb Ap Stage Two/ Cobb Suspension Stage one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Water pumps haven't changed. All I've ever had them do is start leaking. But, if you have experience with this same noise before, you could be right.