Question about oil.

This is a discussion on Question about oil. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought an 02 wrx and the previous owner has been running synthetic in it, I was wondering if ...

Question about oil.

I just bought an 02 wrx and the previous owner has been running synthetic in it, I was wondering if I could switch to standard oil without any damage to the engine and such?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. You can interchange any oil as long as it's the correct viscosity and API rating. Check your manual for the specs; any oil meeting them is OK.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Yes. You can interchange any oil as long as it's the correct viscosity and API rating. Check your manual for the specs; any oil meeting them is OK.
    I thought you weren't supposed to switch from synthetic to dino oil?
    2004 WRB WRX Stage2+ << SOLD
    2004 PSM STi << FOR SALE
    Blobeye Syndicate # 32
    Dirty Crew # 32
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    They're usually way too busy popping their BOV's at me anyways. If I put an anti-neon sign on my FMIC I'd really never get to grocery shop in peace.

I Support ClubWRX
    Any oil meeting the manufacturers viscosity and grade specifications is by definition appropriate for use in the motor. The manual will have the correct specs; from memory, my motor calls for an API SL oil with a viscosity range in the 5W/10W-30/40/50 range.

I cannot think of two API oils that are not miscible, and the manufacturer calls for API oils.

A Subaru representative mentioned in a written response to a query about synthetic oils what I just said about any oil of the correct spec, plus a clause about not switching back from a synth but the reasons given were -- from memory -- at best, very leniantly, nonsense.

When switching from any type or grade or brand to another the consumption seen at least initially may differ from what it was previously, so it's always good to keep a close eye on it. Otherwise, any two API oils of the correct spec should be miscible.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-07-2008 at 05:30 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    +1 ! It is perfectly fine to switch back.