04' WRX Misfiring
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04' WRX Misfiring within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I Just got this thing and it's Mis-Firing on 1 and 3, it's got all new plugs and new wires... ...

04' WRX Misfiring

I Just got this thing and it's Mis-Firing on 1 and 3, it's got all new plugs and new wires... what could problems be for me to check and try to rule out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktanibblez View Post
    I Just got this thing and it's Mis-Firing on 1 and 3, it's got all new plugs and new wires...

What wires?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

they're factory plugs and wires installed by a Subaru Dealership... they said that they're replacing a fuel injector, could that be a cause of misfiring in the engine?

I Support ClubWRX
    Possibly. However, my question stands: what wires? What CELs? Is the car modified?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-06-2008 at 06:00 AM.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Just got this thing and it's Mis-Firing on 1 and 3, it's got all new plugs and new wires... what could problems be for me to check and try to rule out?
    I have an 04 wrx and just recently fixed my misfire problem, it turned out to be the crank position sensor was not completely plugged in, car runs perfect now
    Goodluck
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

I haven't gone through a personal inspection of the engine myself, I literally rolled it off the lot and it had the problem, they're working on it, but I never trust a thing any dealer says, including when they say "it's fixed" or try to tell me what the problem was.

It's got a Greddy BOV sitting on top, and it looked like it had a manual boost controller, I'm looking for an every day driver, so I don't want anything over the top on this thing, I just want it to work throughout the entire RPM range, not drop off at 4500

I'm planning on getting an AEM Short ram and a DC Sports cat back, after that, I'm thinking about taking off the boost controller and letting the ECM do the work it was intended to do. (sorry to go off topic)

When it comes to the plugs and everything I looked for the MAS first and it was plugged, and I checked anything else easily visible, anything I should be looking deeper for?

Oh, and to answer your question, don't know what wires or cels it's got on it.

You can go ahead and pitch that BOV and get an original BPV on there
    I drove my car off the lot much the same way, on my way home CEL came on and car was misfiring above 4k, Ive replaced numerous parts and had the dealer and a tuner shop check it out, no one could find out what the problem was, one day I just happen to be messing around under the hood and noticed the crank position sensor was loose so I plugged it in all the way and BAM fixed
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

WOW
    That's exactly what happened to me!!!!

Where is that plug because i'll get on the phone with them ASAP!

I'm tossing the BOV too, not a greddy fan, but about those other parts I mentioned, any thoughts?

I love this forum, I've gotten soo much help so far it's not even funny.

I should have just posted instead of taking it back to the mechanics!

The crank position sensor is located on the top front of the engine right in the center cant miss it, its an "L" shape and plugs in from the left
    Last edited by ZACK777; 12-11-2009 at 09:10 AM.
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

If that works, I'm buying you a drink!!!!

as for the mods you are wanting to do, Intake wise IMHO I would stay stock, or if you must get a SPT, COBB, or maybe even a K&N tyfoon. The cat backs is all up to you and how you want it to look and sound along with how much $ you want to spend, Ive got all SR*S cheap as **** and very very nice
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

If that works, I'm buying you a drink!!!!
    LOL Im holding you to that offer
    good luck man I hope you get her running right soon
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

I'm probably going to have to mail that drink to you if this works, but about the products, SR*S what is that?

Unfortunately as it turns out, it wasn't that plug... They threw countless parts on it and it still mis-fired... tomorrow they pull the timing chain off it to see what's up.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no timing chain. There are no wires either. Under the steering column there are two connectors that need to be disconnected. They are there for diagnostic purposes. If they are connected, the car will display multiple misfire codes. Check to see that the two connectors are apart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast