Struts

This is a discussion on Struts within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone ever do their own struts? Is this an easy enough job for a mechanical newbie? I know you're supposed ...

Struts

Anyone ever do their own struts? Is this an easy enough job for a mechanical newbie?

I know you're supposed to replace them in pairs, but my passenger side strut totally failed. Fluid leaking out everywhere. The driver side is OK, would it still be bad idea to replace just the bad one?

Also, where the hell do I find a strut? Auto parts store says subaru, but I find that hard to believe and expensive. (College student trying to save some bux, sorry for being cheap )

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm cheap too so I think nothing of just doing one side. However, you are working with a spring and that is dangerous. Also, you need a spring compressor. This isn't something I'd recommend renting. Most of the ones I've seen for rent are in poor condition. You should buy a new one. Also you should have good mechanical ability. Otherwise, take it to the shop.

gotcha. I've been reading howtos on the internet all day. I've got the basic concept down. But can someone give me a quick subaru impreza how to guide? I'm familiar with the terminology so don't go into too much detail.