differential on impreza RB5

This is a discussion on differential on impreza RB5 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car has had the feeling of pushing the front wheels n a knocking noise from the wheels when going ...

differential on impreza RB5

My car has had the feeling of pushing the front wheels n a knocking noise from the wheels when going into parking spaces or reversing onto my drive n developed into a whine/rumble when doin 70+mph.Subaru dealer reckoned it was the centre diff and told me it simply bolts on the back of the gearbox,remove this n replace with new diff.Is this true and anybody have any diff ideas on what the prob is,im trying to get to gearbox at mo but struggling with a exhaust nut on the turbo due to a heat sheild i cant remove.any help appreciated guys.oh n also i pulled up last week and there appeared to be a major oil leak from the rear of the gearbox area,as far as i can see on the car its either the seal on the prop shaft or the gasket around what seems to be an end plate on the gearbox/diff.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi there. Please don't cross post the same question in three different forums. Superfluous posts deleted.

Thanks!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

ive now found the leak and the end plate on the very back of the gearbox/diff is cracked under the prop entry point which im presuming is linked to the diff problem ive had.any help much appreciated guys.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    cool and btw the RB5 just awesome
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

i think i've got the same problem- 'differential binding' is what i understand it to be. Basically the centre diff is on its way out...
    Got a '99 STI 5- similar noises and resistance to rolling at parking speeds- especially when the wheels are turned. Occasionally hear the rear wheels 'scrabbling' for traction as they are not turning at the same speed as the front wheels. I don't have any oil leaks though. The symptoms only come after a long drive, where the drivetrain heats up...

Agents here think its the centre diff, which sits at the rear of the gearbox. Its a viscous coupling unit, so its sealed and cannot be opened. Whole unit needs to be replaced, and i estimate the cost to be around $1400. He says its ok to drive for the time being, but i anticipate that once the unit siezes altogether, the car will be immovable.

it was the centre diff,i stripped it down and it had destroyed itself.found it really simlple to change thou and i'd tackle it yourself if i was you,the diff just slots in and out of the casing,remoce the cross members under the car n the prop and basically its there.i picked one up from a subaru tuner for 250 spent a further 50 on gearbox oil and it was back together in 3hours and feels great now.