Over heating

This is a discussion on Over heating within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Asking a question for my job. An 02 WRX has a front end collision. The radiator is replaced as part ...

Over heating

Asking a question for my job.
    An 02 WRX has a front end collision. The radiator is replaced as part of the needed work. The shop delivers the car back. Next day it overheats. Goes back to the shop, they bleed it again, drive it and let it run for 2 hours and claim it is fine. Couple of weeks later, over heats again. To a dealer. They bleed it and give it back. Over heats again and blows out the bottom of the radiator. Shop replaces the radiator (aftermarket like the first time) and the thermostat and delivers the car back again. Weeks later is overheats. Back to dealer. They claim head gaskets as exhaust gases are pushing into the coolant reservoir. Dealer does the head gasket replacement and delivers the car. Days later, it overheats again. Dealer now claims the aftermarket radiator is the cause. I am assuming that the fan switch and relays are good and the fan is working (would assume the dealer would check everything - even since they knew the overheating history.) Do these cars have a history of problems with over heating or does anyone have any ideas of the cause? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by turboj91; 02-01-2008 at 09:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Spoke with the dealer. They are adament that this car needs a factory issue radiator only and you cannot install aftermarket units without problems of overheating. I asked why they re-installed the aftermarket radiator when they did the head gaskets and did not get a straight answer.

Anyone ever hear that you can only install a factory issue radiator in an 02Impreza WRX? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

plenty guys over here running aftermarket rad with not issues. But the aftermarket unit are all name brands that are higher spec than the oem.

get a exhaust gas in coolant test.

I would assume it's something simple like a stuck valve in the thermostat. A good quality aftermarket radiator is not going to cause all of these problems. They're being caused by coolant not flowing correctly (or at all). I'm not familiar with whether these cars have a valve right in the thermostat or separate, and how many valves there are. I would bet one of them is getting stuck closed.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Turns out that the second aftermarket radiator had a leak at a tank seam, the fluid level went low and the car overheated. Dealer installs an OEM radiator (just because that is what dealers like to do) and no problems since. I inspected the aftermarket radiator and the OEM. The aftermarket (don't know which brand) unit core thickness is HALF of the OEM. 9/16ths vs 1 and 1/8.
    Seems the original problem started when the system was not bled properly. Even a dealer did not get it right.