Newbie break pad changer wannabee - Help??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newbie break pad changer wannabee - Help?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; SOS - so I'm geared up to tackle brake pads on my 2005 WRX Subie tonight. No problems, shimmeys or ...

Newbie break pad changer wannabee - Help??

SOS - so I'm geared up to tackle brake pads on my 2005 WRX Subie tonight. No problems, shimmeys or vibrations, just have 35K on it and know it's getting close to about 15% of pads. Are there any headaches I should know about ahead of time - I used to be a American made guy, so this will be a first for changing out pads on an import. Everyone says it's a breeze - but we all know how it goes with breezzes??! Let me know if anyone has any imput. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fastndelirious View Post
    SOS - so I'm geared up to tackle brake pads on my 2005 WRX Subie tonight. No problems, shimmeys or vibrations, just have 35K on it and know it's getting close to about 15% of pads. Are there any headaches I should know about ahead of time - I used to be a American made guy, so this will be a first for changing out pads on an import. Everyone says it's a breeze - but we all know how it goes with breezzes??! Let me know if anyone has any imput. Thanks!
    Brakes are brakes for the most part. Have you checked out General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Tutorials ?

I am moving this thread to that forum.

Here is what you seek: Changing brake pads on WRX
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-01-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I changed mine for the first time at 40k miles. Make sure you torque everything to spec. I had a bolt back out of my right caliber and cause the caliber to shift and was grinding on the inside of my wheel a few months after the pad change.

I always ignored the torque recommendations, but on certain parts that are prone to excessive vibrations I would follow the manufacturer recommendations. Hindsight is always 20/20!

Have fun!
    - 2002 silver WRX (stock)
    - 1999 Honda CBR F4 (Leo Vinci High-mount exhaust, carbon fiber blinkers and other lil crap...)

breaks are easy on it. i just did mine a couple months ago. the only thing you may not be used to is that the front calipers have 2 pistons in each instead of just one. I dont know if newer american cars are like that or not cause ive only ever driven subaru's. when you are pushing the front pistons back in I suggest putting the old brake pad on top of the pistons and then tighten the c-clamp. that way theyll both go in at the same time. or at least thats the way i did it. pushing them in one at a time wont work cause one will push back out as you push the other in.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.