Oil change mishap
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil change mishap within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So over the weekend I changed my oil for 15k miles. I have personally done this a few times to ...

Oil change mishap

So over the weekend I changed my oil for 15k miles. I have personally done this a few times to my Subaru, and probably over 100 times on various cars. This particular time however something went awry. While removing the filter the filter wrench grazed the coolant line that pretty much rubs against the oil filter, and the damn thing pulled right off. I got covered in coolant, and long story short I had a slightly ahead of schedule coolant flush. Has anyone else every done something like this? It seams to me that line is placed horribly

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If the coolant line was that loose that the filter wrench pulled it off, it may be a good thing that you found it then.
    The amount of things that have gone wrong while working on cars for me is innumerable. So don't feel bad. At least the rods are in it, and the block is in one piece.
    And now you have fresh and clean coolant!

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ Yup always a bright side
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't feel bad. I could write a book about opening cans of worms when working on cars. I had one recently that was reeeeeally fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Don't feel bad. I could write a book about opening cans of worms when working on cars. I had one recently that was reeeeeally fun.
    Let's keep this thread on topic. Authorship and worm canning have nothing to do with an oil change. Consider this your first warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    Let's keep this thread on topic. Authorship and worm canning have nothing to do with an oil change. Consider this your first warning.
    That is just good stuff right there. Real entertainment.

I did something similar on my YZF-R1 when it was new. I used my normal filter wrench, and it appears the factory really cranked on my filter. when it let loose the filter wrench actually cut my lower coolant hose and it started to spray me in the eyes. Now I use K&N filters because it has a hex nut welded to the end and I can avoid the coolant line.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    "I don't care who you are, thats funny right ther..."
    Beware of the Bandrew, as we speak his finger is twitching on the Ban button.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

It was just held on with a hose clamp (the squeeze kind not the screw kind) and just slid off. I was expecting to get flamed quite a bit for this, just wondering if i was the only one.

ODJ
    Quote Originally Posted by dspowersports View Post
    I did something similar on my YZF-R1 when it was new. I used my normal filter wrench, and it appears the factory really cranked on my filter. when it let loose the filter wrench actually cut my lower coolant hose and it started to spray me in the eyes. Now I use K&N filters because it has a hex nut welded to the end and I can avoid the coolant line.
    The only thing you learned from that was to use K&N filters? That mishap would put protective eye-wear on my shopping list for sure .

Quote Originally Posted by RDB81 View Post
    It was just held on with a hose clamp (the squeeze kind not the screw kind) and just slid off. I was expecting to get flamed quite a bit for this, just wondering if i was the only one.
    Hey, no flames from me. I'm just wondering if you might have "discovered" a better way to drain the coolant. When I drained my coolant using the factory drain plug, it took a ridiculously long time to drain. Also, the flanges on that drain plug are plastic and I'm sure I nearly broke them in the process of unscrewing the plug.

If you had been ready with a drain pan, do you think you'd be able to pop this hose off again without making too much of a mess?

I guess the factory drain plug is still the lowest point in the system, so it would still need to be utilized for a full drain. It would be nice if there was a more convenient way to drain the majority of the coolant quickly, though.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Quote Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
    The only thing you learned from that was to use K&N filters? That mishap would put protective eye-wear on my shopping list for sure .

Hey, no flames from me. I'm just wondering if you might have "discovered" a better way to drain the coolant. When I drained my coolant using the factory drain plug, it took a ridiculously long time to drain. Also, the flanges on that drain plug are plastic and I'm sure I nearly broke them in the process of unscrewing the plug.

If you had been ready with a drain pan, do you think you'd be able to pop this hose off again without making too much of a mess?

I guess the factory drain plug is still the lowest point in the system, so it would still need to be utilized for a full drain. It would be nice if there was a more convenient way to drain the majority of the coolant quickly, though.
    disconnect lower radiator hose
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    It's never happened to me. Sorry to hear. Good find though. Just make sure you burp your coolant really good. It can be tricky sometimes.

I don't care who you are, thats funny right ther,..
    +1.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I do own shop glasses but didn't think I'd need them for changing oil...in retrospect I'm sure it would have helped. The point was the filter is in a bad spot and the wrench cut the hose. The K&N helps avoid replacing coolant hoses.

Hi guys, if I may...
    I did an oil change on my 02 sti on saturday and it was my first attempt on a suby...
    I must say that it went very quick and without incident... my knowlege on subaru's are very limited but since ive had the car (2months) i have chaged plugs and oil... also learned a hell of alot about them. All of which on this site!

I put new oil filter oem and 0-30w Mobil 1 fully syn?

car seem to be slightly smoother

0w-30 seems bit thin considering you are in south africa. I would have probably chosen a thicker oil due to the hot ambient operating temperators.

Anyone qualified to remark on this?
    - 2002 silver WRX (stock)
    - 1999 Honda CBR F4 (Leo Vinci High-mount exhaust, carbon fiber blinkers and other lil crap...)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast