Oil change mishap - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil change mishap within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Most the tuners use it here? Anyone else got any input?...

Most the tuners use it here?

Anyone else got any input?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My experience is that if the engine wasn't designed to use synthetic oil then stick to dino. But, if you you feel you really want to go synthetic then go one weight heavier then the recommended dino viscosity because synthetic gets thinner than dino when hot.

Well let me tell you my oil temps are hitting 90+ deg c with mobil 1 15w50 engine oil. This is in SA in traffic without boosting it.

That oil is certainly not safe for the full 12500km service interval.

The recommeded oil was 5w40 Mobil 1
    Last edited by silver6933; 02-19-2008 at 04:15 AM.

wow thats crazy
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Where you live in SA bro the Kalahari?
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by barneyb View Post
    My experience is that if the engine wasn't designed to use synthetic oil then stick to dino.
    What design changes are required for a modern piston motor to use a modern synthetic or not?

But, if you you feel you really want to go synthetic then go one weight heavier then the recommended dino viscosity because synthetic gets thinner than dino when hot.
    A viscosity is a viscosity. Is there any data to support the statement that a synthetic gets thinner than a dino when hot?

Quote Originally Posted by silver6933 View Post
    Well let me tell you my oil temps are hitting 90+ deg c with mobil 1 15w50 engine oil. This is in SA in traffic without boosting it.

That oil is certainly not safe for the full 12500km service interval.

The recommeded oil was 5w40 Mobil 1
    What were your temperatures with the 5W-40? Could it be that the higher viscosity oil is generating more heat as a result? It'd be interesting to compare the 5W-40 to the 15W-50.

I know AU owners get 40C temps ambient and use 5W-40 M1, their only concern being a minor, I'd venture to say theoretical issue with high zinc/phosphate content fouling cats over prolonged use -- I don't know how valid a concern that is but I have my doubts. In any case, if you've used both the 40 and 50-weight M1, what were your oil temps like and at what (roughly) ambient temps? I know you're in ZA in the middle of summer, so it's interesting to see.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ive never had that happen to me but once when I was changing my oil I left the old filter ring on and didnt even notice until I dropped the car, poured oil in and started it. About 1 sec later oil splattered all over my garage floor! that was great. Thought Id share that

Quote Originally Posted by 02_Rex View Post
    Ive never had that happen to me but once when I was changing my oil I left the old filter ring on and didnt even notice until I dropped the car, poured oil in and started it. About 1 sec later oil splattered all over my garage floor! that was great. Thought Id share that
    Expensive mistake, what weight oil was it?
    Member #0135

Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsti View Post
    Expensive mistake, what weight oil was it?
    I live in Cali so I use 5w-30 for fall, winter and spring. I use 10w-30 for summer tho it does get pretty hot out here

5w40 ran between 75-80+ degrees

But it is really hot here atm in Durban. And oil temps are soaring. Night driving sees 70+ degrees C. Oil sender tapped above 3 cyl.

What your oil temp on the 0w30?

I Support ClubWRX
    5w40 ran between 75-80+ degrees
    Are you considering switching back to the 5W-40 then?

Quote Originally Posted by 02_Rex View Post
    I live in Cali so I use 5w-30 for fall, winter and spring. I use 10w-30 for summer tho it does get pretty hot out here
    Those two oils do not differ in terms of performance when heated. There is no point in changing between them (nor are you doing any harm). I'd just run 5W-30 year-round given those two options.

As a matter of fact, if you are using Mobil1 5W-30 and 10W-30, you should be aware that the 5W-30 is actually "thicker" than the 10W-30! If you go to Mobil's website and look at the specs you will see that their 5W-30 has a higher viscosity at 100C than their 10W-30.

In any case, if from the same manufacturer you're basically almost certainly using the same base stock anyway.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-21-2008 at 07:13 AM.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

No mobil1 5w40 is no longer avialable. Also ambients have increased steadly.

15w50 gives me plenty protection. I think the increase is mainly due to the hot weather.

tarmacsti whats your oil temp with 0w30?

I Support ClubWRX
    No mobil1 5w40 is no longer avialable.
    You might look into Mobil Delvac1 5W-40 if you want a -40 M1 oil. The Delvac1 and the M1 5W-40 are, by Mobil's own admission, the same oil.

15w50 gives me plenty protection. I think the increase is mainly due to the hot weather.
    Have you done oil analysis on either the -50 or the -40?

EDIT: I recall road racing applications here in CA, where some venues are inland with ambient temps in the 40s and others are nearer the ocean with ambients in the low 30s, and the oil temps could still hit 105C or more. An oil cooler was fitted and 15W-50 was mixed with a thinner M1 variant at times to lower its effective viscosity. I think the implication from the story, if I've got everything straight, is that at some stage a viscous oil generates more heat than a less viscous liquid, and that one way to possibly control heat to some extent is to use the "thinnest" oil one can get away with (meaning the thinnest oil that still provides adequate protection against wear and adequately resists breakdown for a chosen oil change interval period).
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-21-2008 at 07:20 AM.

No mobil1 5w40 is no longer avialable. Also ambients have increased steadly.

tarmacsti whats your oil temp with 0w30?

I will check on the way home after work today and feed back, but I have to add that I leave home at the crack of dawn and allmost never sit in traffic...
    Member #0135

Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsti View Post
    I will check on the way home after work today and feed back, but I have to add that I leave home at the crack of dawn and allmost never sit in traffic...

Any update on oil temps?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast