Blue Smoke on Cold Start-Up

This is a discussion on Blue Smoke on Cold Start-Up within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I did search and find similar topics, but none of them quite match my problem. I have a stock (nothing ...

Blue Smoke on Cold Start-Up

I did search and find similar topics, but none of them quite match my problem. I have a stock (nothing at all) 05' WRX with 33,000 miles. I use Mobil 1 5-30 and changed oil at 32,000. My car has never consumed any oil. This past week it's been rather cold around here.

On Tuesday I went to my car to drive to class. (-25F) I started it up and there was a puff of blue smoke that lasted about a second. I nearly **** my pants as it had never ever done this before. I didn't notice any reoccuring smoke that day.

Wednesday (-20 again) I start it again, same thing.

Thursday, today, It's about -5 and my car puffs out the same little cloud of blue smoke. Prior to Tuesday, my car has never burned any oil on startup. Did starting it on that extremely cold day wreak havoc on one of the seals in the motor? Or is it just the current cold spell I'm in. I know I could've waited until it got warmer out to see if it's going to stop, but I just kind of wanted a heads up as to what it could be. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    sounds like a bad gasket or something

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Rexzor View Post
    sounds like a bad gasket or something
    A little vague for me to understand which gasket you are talking about. My car is not leaking oil anywhere (gasket problem), it is burning it (seal problem?), for some unknown reason.

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-01-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005BlackWRX View Post
    A little vague for me to understand which gasket you are talking about. My car is not leaking oil anywhere (gasket problem), it is burning it (seal problem?), for some unknown reason.
    i had that same problem, and for me it was the rear main gasket. just take it to a shop and ask their oppinion.

I Support ClubWRX
    a stock 05 w/33k "should" still have warranty. go get it checked. could be a bad ring, valve seal, or something. wierd that it only does it when it's frigid..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    Could be its just damn cold outside. You sure it was blue smoke and not just smoke? Hows your oil level? Car run fine? Ever change the PCV?

As per this M1 is good to run at those temps.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...lPropertyTitle

When in doubt, have it checked out.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    a stock 05 w/33k "should" still have warranty. go get it checked. could be a bad ring, valve seal, or something. wierd that it only does it when it's frigid..
    I sure hope not, but I suppose it's possible. It's only been frigid around here so I don't know if it's going to quit when it warms up outside or not. I didn't drive it at all today, but tommorow I'll check it out a little closer. It's supposed to get up around 15 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Could be its just damn cold outside. You sure it was blue smoke and not just smoke? Hows your oil level? Car run fine? Ever change the PCV?

As per this M1 is good to run at those temps.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...lPropertyTitle

When in doubt, have it checked out.
    That's what I'm hoping. But I'm also hoping that the cold starting didn't ruin any seals or something. This is the first time it's ever done it. It's positively blue smoke. No I have not replaced the PCV. Oil level is perfect and the car runs like a top. (After it's warmed up of course) Getting to the dealer is hard for me as the closest one is two hours away and I get out of school at four, so by the time I get there they're closed. Saturday mornings is really the only time and those slots are usually taken. I will try to get in within the next couple of weeks though.

The thing that's just bothering me is, is it possibly for just that one cold day to affect one of my motor parts?
    Last edited by 2005BlackWRX; 02-01-2008 at 05:53 PM.

I live in Oregon so the coldest we ever see is maybe below positive 20 Fahrenheit. But my 1997 F-150 had the same issue in the last year or so before I got rid of it. It was caused by a valve seal shrinking when the engine was cold, allowing a little bit of oil to drip into the combustion chamber. Leading to a puff of blue smoke once you start the vehicle. I can only imagine in -20 Fahrenheit that that would be your issue. It does seem weird that it would happen on an '05 with 30k on it. But from my understanding valve seal issues are affected by how you treat the vehicle before it's warmed up as well as just all around driving. I try to treat my car like it isn't capable of revving above 3500 rpm before it's fully warmed up. I realize that's a lot of information you might not care about, but I'm pretty sure it's your valve seal leaking when your car is sitting.
    Mods are like tatoos, they're addicting, but at least you can take mods back off when your ass starts sagging

I Support ClubWRX
    this could be true, but the issue I have with that, WR, is that unlike your F150, the boxer's valves are sideways, or live in a somewhat horizontal environment, whereas the I6/V8, they have a much better tendency to have oil lay on the seals, as the valves live in a more upright environment.

Not to say it isn't the vs', but it's far less likely, than your old F150.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Thanks for the replies guys.

WR Boxer, I try to never drive over 3000 rpm when the engine is cold. I don't rip around in the car like most people with them do either. I'm not going to lie and say I don't have a little fun once in a while, but I never redline it or launch it. And don't worry about typing too much. I'd rather hear everything that someone has to say rather than possibly holding back on useful knowledge/info.

On a lighter note, as the temperatures have warmed up outside, the problem appears to not be a problem anymore. At least I hope. For the past two weeks I checked the oil level in the car every other time I drove it. The level is right at perfect. Once I start the car, I get out quick and watch the exhaust for any blue smoke and since it's warmed up outside, it doesn't smoke anymore. I hope this is a one time temperature caused deal. Thanks everyone for their replies.

I Support ClubWRX
    Curious - whereabouts are you to have such cold weather?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

North Dakota