>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 06wrx4me And the results are in. I had abnormally high Iron levels for the time the cocktail ...

Blackstone Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    And the results are in. I had abnormally high Iron levels for the time the cocktail was in the transmission. They recommend a change and resample interval of 5k miles with USC. As I have nothing to compare the results to stock, I dunno whether or not this differs from the factory in any way. I also dunno if this is common for transmission break-in in the 1st or 2nd change. As such in a while, I may "Mighty Vac" some of my current formula out and send it off for analysis for comparison purposes.

Edit: Added a link to this post in the OP on 1st page.
    Was anything else off on the fluid from their analysis aside from the high iron levels? Just curious if you can post the stat sheet they gave you for it (if they did) and possibly compare it to a conventional GL-5 tranny fluid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sdh7711 View Post
    Was anything else off on the fluid from their analysis aside from the high iron levels? Just curious if you can post the stat sheet they gave you for it (if they did) and possibly compare it to a conventional GL-5 tranny fluid.

Has already been posted here as an attachment although we seem to be experiencing technical difficulties:

>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.)
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

blackston results

Yeah the pic is still not showing up. my email is sdh7711@aol.com if you dont mind sending me it.

Has already been posted here as an attachment although we seem to be experiencing technical difficulties:

New Mixture

Hows the new mix running still? Any plans to have that tested by Blackstone as well?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sdh7711 View Post
    Hows the new mix running still? Any plans to have that tested by Blackstone as well?
    The new mix runs great. I actually have a few sample kits for Blackstone sittin here. What I am lacking is a vacuum pump to sample with. So I figure I'll test the new mixture when I change it out.

Regarding the lab report. I dunno if Tim fixed the attachments feature yet or not, if he hasn't I'll host the sample report on photobucket and include up top.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Good news. Turn in Concepts sells Extra-S in 1 quart bottles now...

Extra S fluid!!!! Now in 1 quart containers!!!! - NASIOC

I think I'm gonna start using this from now on since it's available in single serving quantities.

Edit: Stuff costs an arm and a leg Maybe I'll go 1/2&1/2 with some synchromesh or something...
    Last edited by Timdog1650; 06-04-2008 at 09:55 PM.

DUB
    $80 plus shipping gets you enough for the 5mt! Only $50 more and you might as well get 5 gallons of it.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the five gallon pail is a good way to go cost wise, especially if you can find someone local to split it w/
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

DUB
    This thread (and others) convinced me to go with the Subaru Extra S.
    So, today I talked to my local dealer and asked them if I could just bring in empty quart containers and buy 4 qts of the Subaru Extra S out of their bulk supply. They said NO and gave me some BS excuse about not being able to sell hazardous materials in a different container than they were shipped from the manufacturer .
    So, I asked them for a price on the whole 5 gal bucket, they quoted me $206.44. I told them you can order it online for ~$150 shipped. Then they tried to talk me into just having them change the MT fluid in their service shop. He tried to sell it with "we have very reasonable rates and you won't have to deal with disposing of the used up stuff." I said, "ok but I enjoy doing it myself and you can recycle used oil for free at Kragen." Then I said thanks and left. I don't really like that dealership.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.

I have decided on:
    2 qts Red Line 75w90NS
    ~1.7 qts Red Line Lightweight shockproof

Then thread was very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    I have decided on:
    2 qts Red Line 75w90NS
    ~1.7 qts Red Line Lightweight shockproof
    Been there, done that, it had it's ass kicked by the Extra S.

Seriously, just order a bucket of the Extra S. It IS worth it. Also TiC now sells quart bottles of the stuff, though it is a bit expensive.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    Also TiC now sells quart bottles of the stuff, though it is a bit expensive.
    I know. No offense intended to TiC or any of their supporters, but you would have to be a complete idiot to spend $80+shipping for 4 qts of that gear oil. You can get it from SubaruGenuineParts.com for ~$150 for 20 qts.

SubaruGenuineParts.com = $7.50/qt
    TiC = $20/qt

I still do want to use the Extra S. The problem is I don't know of any local people who would want to buy the rest off me. All my Scoobie owning friends are 'take it to the mechanic for service' type of folks. I certainly don't want to have to deal with putting it in a different container and shipping it to recoup my costs.

We'll see, maybe if I'm unhappy w/ the Red Line mix (which I don't foresee) I will take the plunge for the Extra S.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    I know. No offense intended to TiC or any of their supporters, but you would have to be a complete idiot to spend $80+shipping for 4 qts of that gear oil. You can get it from SubaruGenuineParts.com for ~$150 for 20 qts.

SubaruGenuineParts.com = $7.50/qt
    TiC = $20/qt

Honestly, I agree with you. I have NO idea what that pricing is about. It makes filling a 6MT almost as much as buying the entire bucket of goo.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    what the dealer doesn't tell you is that they use cheap crap out of a big drum- whatever they can find. Extra S is too pricey for the dealers to use, but not too pricey for someone wanting a good fluid in their tranny
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Big Sky, you've been using the the Extra S for a while now if I recall. What OCI are you running with it?

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    what the dealer doesn't tell you is that they use cheap crap out of a big drum- whatever they can find. Extra S is too pricey for the dealers to use, but not too pricey for someone wanting a good fluid in their tranny
    Yeah, I was aware of that (I think I read that from you already in a different thread!).
    The point is moot now anyway, but I was planning on making sure I actually saw the Extra S container that they took it out of.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.