>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 06wrx4me 3000 miles: Awesome is a great word to describe it. Best my car has ever shifted. ...

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    3000 miles:

Awesome is a great word to describe it. Best my car has ever shifted.
    Since you're in NorCal, what's the coldest you've had the tranny down to?

I'm having trouble finding a mixture that both shifts well and doesn't require me to go get a cheaterbar to make my first 5 shifts in the morning at 0F.

Do you have any cold weather experience with it at all?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm in PA and lightweight shockproof helped my morning shifting considerablly compared to the royal purple that was in there...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the extra S has been fine down to -40
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    the extra S has been fine down to -40
    Being dino, does it obviously thicken up when it gets cold though? The Valvoline dino I have in right now is perfectly fine at operating temperature. But on a cold morning, it's like stirring frozen molasses.

Frankly, I'm just looking for something that shifts well, doesn't harden up in the winter, and if it's lower-friction so my gas mileage goes up, more power to it.

So far, the stock fill, straight 79w90NS, USC, a 75w90NS/75w140NS blend, and a couple of others I'm forgetting have all failed at least one part of this

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    at -40 I'm sure it thickens some my wife drives it everyday, car is parked outside and it gets mucho cold- now problem w/ shifting
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I put Royal Purple 75w90 in my girls 04 wrx. After doing that It felt alot easier to shift, but noticed on downshifting into first gear it would cause it to grind or be hard to put into first gear while coming to a stop. Personally I think that i'm going to switch over to Redline oil for the tranny and rear diff. I live in Pa so we do have some cold winters once in a while, I noticed on cold mornings it would take longer for the tranny fluid to warm up. So I would have to say that this would be a negitive review for royal purple. The mileage on the car when I replaced the oil was in around 45,000 miles. The car is currently around 88,xxx miles and i'm definitely switching to redline. Before replacing the oil, never had a problem with shifting, after the royal purple problems. The only reason that I went with the royal purple was that it was easier to find in stores, then redline, but now more and more performance stores seem to be carrying it.
    2004 WRX @ Stage II with a Pro-tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent69 View Post
    I put Royal Purple 75w90 in my girls 04 wrx. After doing that It felt alot easier to shift, but noticed on downshifting into first gear it would cause it to grind or be hard to put into first gear while coming to a stop. Personally I think that i'm going to switch over to Redline oil for the tranny and rear diff. I live in Pa so we do have some cold winters once in a while, I noticed on cold mornings it would take longer for the tranny fluid to warm up. So I would have to say that this would be a negitive review for royal purple. The mileage on the car when I replaced the oil was in around 45,000 miles. The car is currently around 88,xxx miles and i'm definitely switching to redline. Before replacing the oil, never had a problem with shifting, after the royal purple problems. The only reason that I went with the royal purple was that it was easier to find in stores, then redline, but now more and more performance stores seem to be carrying it.
    go with Redline's lightweight shockproof... A&A in PA has it... I'm in PA too, I had royal purple too and then stiched to shock proof, it's so much better...

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    Since you're in NorCal, what's the coldest you've had the tranny down to?

I'm having trouble finding a mixture that both shifts well and doesn't require me to go get a cheaterbar to make my first 5 shifts in the morning at 0F.

Do you have any cold weather experience with it at all?
    I live In Mass so I experience the same cold weather you do. I have had the uncle Scottys Cocktail (USC) in for 10K through the winter and it is MUCH MUCH better shifting in cold weather. The USC is 1Q Shockproof, 1Q Synchromesh, 1.5-1.7Q HypoyC 75w90 gear oil.

After reading some potential negative feedback on long term damage and this thread kind of figuring the Synchromesh is not the best long term I will be switching to the Redline mix of 2Q Shockproof 1.5-7Q 75W90NS or 06's mix of 2Q shockproof and 1.5-1.7Q Amsoil 75w90 SVG.

I would suggest the same I am just up in the air whether to use Amsoil SVG or Redline NS with the shockproof.

Quote Originally Posted by jogfrogjog View Post
    go with Redline's lightweight shockproof... A&A in PA has it... I'm in PA too, I had royal purple too and then stiched to shock proof, it's so much better...

Thanks for the info, i'll definitely have to stop by A&A. I was thinking the same thing the lightweight shockproof from Redline. The Royal Purple felt alot easier to shift, but i have problems shifting into 4th at higher rpm's, it's alright at lower rpm's. I've never had any problems until after switching to the Royal Purple. The car has never been launched from a stand still either, i've done some highway rolls from around 40mph, but that has been it. Did you put the lightweight shockproof into your rear diff?

Sorry to get off the topic, but i was even running the royal purple motor oil. I have since switched that also. I figured that if the synthetic tranny fluid wasn't up to the standings then the motor oil wasn't either, so I have since switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic.
    Last edited by Innocent69; 03-22-2008 at 02:56 PM.

I use Mobil 1 full synth extended performance (the one rated for 15k miles) and redline's lightweight shockproof in the tranny, and have yet to switch the Royal Purple that I have in the diff... I'm prolly gonna switch it to shockproof as well at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by jogfrogjog View Post
    I use Mobil 1 full synth extended performance (the one rated for 15k miles) and redline's lightweight shockproof in the tranny, and have yet to switch the Royal Purple that I have in the diff... I'm prolly gonna switch it to shockproof as well at some point...

Yeah, I also switched to the Mobil 1 extended performance, and I really like it. Sometimes I don't get a chance to change the oil every 3,000 miles so that is why I went with the extended. Once it warms up here in a few weeks I'll definitely be putting in the lightweight shockproof in the tranny and rear diff.

Blackstone USC test

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I'm gonna send it off today as a matter of fact. Its been in their sample bottle for a few weeks, just been waiting on the dust to settle from housing stuff, but I'm ready to send her off.
    Any word yet on the blackstone test of the USC?

Have you thought about getting your new mix tested as well?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sdh7711 View Post
    Any word yet on the blackstone test of the USC?

Have you thought about getting your new mix tested as well?
    Its been sent out for a while now, just waitin on the test report. They said it can take up to 4 weeks in one part of the website, then in another they say they'll run it as soon as it ships to them. :shrugs: we'll wait and see.

Thought about getting the new stuff tested, but don't have a Mighty Vac to suck it out. I'll wait and see till after I get these results back.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Well, I finally broke down and put some G-O Extra S in it two days ago. I have to say it's the best initial results I've had with any oil I've tried so far. Obviously, the proof will be 5,000 miles from now as that's when most oils fall flat on their faces. As an added bonus, it smells like pine trees not nasty gear oil!

I posted this in another thread in the Tranny and Driveline section but.....I thought I'd add it here in case someone had the same problem I did.....

I tried Castrol Syntec 75W90 in the box at my first gearbox oil change after I got grinding when shifting from 3rd to 4th at >4500 rpm. I hated it. The car didn't want to shift on mornings, and couldn't go into 1st unless I was at a dead standstill.

So I went looking around for the ingredients for Uncle Scotty's Cocktail. However, I couldn't find all the components locally, so I made a substitution as follows:

1 qt Redline SuperLight Shockproof (as opposed to Lightweight Shockproof)
    1 qt Redline 75W90NS (to mimic the Pennzoil Synchromesh....which has no friction additives)
    1.8 qt Castrol Hypoy C 80W90

(Redline water wetter not added LOL)

I am now a thorough believer in the USC gospel....'cuz the tranny feels better than ever with this mixture. I've done circa 10000km on it with no complaints thus far.

BigSkyWRX, I see you said you've used Subaru Extra-S gear oil? I've heard it works wonders for the 6 speed...but is it any better than USC for the 5 speed? Or should I stick with the USC....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.