Subaru WRX Forum banner

>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.)

207K views 404 replies 74 participants last post by  persia 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.)

UPDATE:

To start off, a link to " MEMBER TESTIMONIALS (on page 2 of this thread)" where there are tons of testimonials and lots to read.

What I ended up running and install pics. >>>>HERE on page 4<<<<

MY Blackstone analysis of my USC fluid that I replaced. >>>HERE<<<

Also started a "What fluid was your car running when it blew?" thread.

One more link to the Uncle Scotty's Cocktail Thread on Nasioc.

With that said where I started at 1-30-08:

So it is once again tranny fluid time in my car, or getting close anyways. Last time I used a synthetic version of USC or "Uncle Scottys Cocktail" I came up with. It works great, but in my quest to not leave well enough alone and brand homogeneity, I wanna try an all Amsoil formulation. Specifically, replace the Frankenstein colored Redline Lightweight shockproof with something, but we'll see where the research and findings take me.

What I am currently running:
I mixed up a batch of "Uncle Scottys Cocktail" but a full synthetic version in my 06 TR at 15k miles.

1 qt Redline lightweight shockproof
1 qt Amsoil syncromesh
2 qt Amsoil 75w90 gear oil.
What I am thinking about going with:

4 0z Amsoil slip lock
qt Amsoil MTG
1 qt Amsoil syncromesh
1.5 qt Amsoil 75w90 gear oil.

The bold is what I am thinking about to replace the Lightweight shockproof. They have a lower kinematic viscosity at 40 deg which should lead to improved shift at cold temps. Using all Amsoil products also guarantees (through Amsoil) that I can up the service interval considerably.

Discuss.

Here are the results:

Now at page 24 we have come to some conclusions:

* We've decided Uncle Scotty's cocktail shifts nice for a while but breaks down really fast and needs really short change intervals.
--Also don't think syncromesh needs to be in the blend
--There is also concern it may cause extra wear

* Redline Lightweight Shockproof works well in the 5MT but not the STI trans (slinger lubrication versus pump)
--Seems to work just as well straight as mixed

* Straight Severe Gear 75w90 from Amsoil is not good in cold weather, but works well when mixed with shockproof

* SD_GR still loves his Valvoline conventional 75w90

* Subaru Extra S is the greatest gear oil to put in a stock Subaru
--It works well for a long time, shifts great, but is not sold in the quart. Its sold in the 5 gal drum, but many Subi tuners and dealer have it

FWIW Redline 75w90NS is what you'd run in the 5MT, but in non-mixed form it hasn't netted near the result of the Extra-S. Don't use MT90.

See less See more
#278 ·
Metal Shavings in rear diff

I know someone posted this before but im new to this website and im not sure how to find it, but can anyone tell me if its ok or common for metal shavings to come out of the rear diff when u change the fluid??

The car has 75,000 miles and i dont think the owner before did a diff oil change.

I used Mobil 1 75/90

Is my diff going to be ok??:sadwave:

#279 ·
I know someone posted this before but im new to this website and im not sure how to find it, but can anyone tell me if its ok or common for metal shavings to come out of the rear diff when u change the fluid??

The car has 75,000 miles and i dont think the owner before did a diff oil change.

I used Mobil 1 75/90

Is my diff going to be ok??:sadwave:
It's normal for a small amount of residue to come out of the diff.

As long as there are no large metal particles or chunks coming out, you should be fine...

#286 ·
Update

So it has been around another 15k miles. This time on the Subaru Extra S....and I like it just as BIGSKY said I would. Seems to work just as well as any concoction I have tried thus far. Luckily my tuner sells it by the quart so I have an available source for it.

So if you want a good fluid that is factory warranty compatible, go with the Extra S.

If you can't get the Extra S, I still recommend the Amsoil syncromesh blend.

#289 ·
Great info, tons of interesting data.
Any more updates for the last few month?
I read every page of this thread, didn't skip a single one.
I agree with people hence it's hard to make a decision on what gear oil to use in my 2006 Impreza.
I have had great success with Red Line oil 75W90 NS in my 1987 heavy modified Toyota Supra for over 10 years, but seems it's not a good choice for 5 speed WRX.
What I gather from here and made decision for myself, unless some one update the thread after my posting with more data:
Choice # 1 Subaru extra S (any one has 4 quarts to sell, or point reliable place were I can order, I try not to buy whole drum?)
I am in North Jersey.
Choice # 2 Motul 300
Choice # 3 Redline Lightweight Shockproof
A little off topic, I have spare Red Line 75W90 full syntetic and it 10 y old, never open, I will use for rear differential. I belive closed quart of oil will not degrade during this time on the shelf in my garage. We shell see:cool:

#290 ·
I belive closed quart of oil will not degrade during this time on the shelf in my garage. We shell see:cool:
This is an excellent question to pose to Redline themselves. I'd contact customer service before using it. I do not know if any component has fallen out of solution or if any component is not stable long term. Since it was sealed I don't think moisture is a concern, but I have no idea what's in the oil -- Redline do though. You might even email if you don't want to call. Just a thought.

SD

#292 ·
I've given up on oils fancier or rarer than plain-old Valvoline 75W-90. It's what my dealer used last I checked, from large drums bought in bulk. I'd use Extra S too. In fact my preferences would be Extra S, Valvoline regular, any other regular in that order I guess. My car shifts as well as it did when new as far as I can tell. I don't see any cold weather though so can't comment on winter.

#293 ·
My gearing box never been too friendly, even right after the first miles. Need to adjust rpm to do it smoothly, European double shift, lol, j/k.
I imagine it is basic OEM oil there now, since it's been replace in the dealership in my absence. This time around I have chance to do it myself and hopefully put better stuff in there. Appreciate for sharing your thoughts SD. I may change my mind, he he and try.

#294 ·
+1 Extra-S

I went with the extra s in my tranny and redline 75/90 in my diff for my 09 WRX. It had 20k miles when I made the switch. Shifting into reverse is definitely better. 3rd still feels notchy but is improved. Can't notice any difference with the rear diff. Overall really happy with this setup, its been about 1k miles so far.

#296 ·
Got it from Fred Beans. They have quarts and they shipped quick, 4 quarts was plenty.

#304 ·
I'm sticking with what Andrewtech recommends for the PPG gearbox... 1qt of Motul 300 and the rest LW Shockproof.

#308 ·
A lot of dealerships don't know about Extra S. At least not the service desk people.

It's their synthetic transmission oil.

#312 ·
Thanks

I would just like to thank everyone for their time and effort in this thread. I spent days trying to figure out what to use and decided on the go extra s. It took away all notchyness in 4th and 5th and feels much better than when i bought it 2 months ago. Once again, THANKS a ton!

#313 · (Edited)
I should admit myself, I spent hours reading this thread and thanks for great write ups and answering all my question, I made correct decision.
Replaced my stock tranny oil with Extra S and for past 1,5 month feeling noticable difference in shifting.
When I have chance I'll post pictures I took that day, while working on oil swap, both tranny and rear differential.
Someone mentioned before that it's possible (after swap to Extra S) to put 1 gear before the full stop, and yes, it is.

Alex

:Edit on 10/10/2010: >> Some pictures..
last picture is for the rear differential stuff

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.