>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 6
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm pretty sure the "plain" Redline 75w90 on it's own will have the same issues as the M1- it's just ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm pretty sure the "plain" Redline 75w90 on it's own will have the same issues as the M1- it's just too damn slippery. My M1 was fine when first filled, but got crappy in a hurry- downshifting become nightmarish. I think if you search many have tried the Redline 75w90 only to have the same issues.

If your local shop doesn't have the lighweight, you can order it online and get it in a couple of days.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyphotog View Post
    I see that lightweight is the winner, but what if I don't really wanna wait for the lightweight to ship here would the 75W90 be cool? I assume it would be cause its just a synthetic version of the Mobil1 75W90 I have in there now. It just doesn't have those shockproof additives.
    Mobil1 is synthetic. If what you have now is not synthetic, it's not Mobil1, it's another Mobil product.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I see that lightweight is the winner, but what if I don't really wanna wait for the lightweight to ship here would the 75W90 be cool? I assume it would be cause its just a synthetic version of the Mobil1 75W90 I have in there now. It just doesn't have those shockproof additives.
    No it will not. You will hate the 75w90 after only a thousand or so miles.

Read me:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showpo...2&postcount=28
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    No it will not. You will hate the 75w90 after only a thousand or so miles.

Read me:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showpo...2&postcount=28
    I hear ya I hear ya. But most of what I red in the Redline Gear Oil only, was people using the 75W90NS. And they were using it in the tranny. I'm talkin about the rear diff. One guy(Zoinks) said that regular 75W90 should be good for the rear.

It's not that I don't believe you or trust you guys, just the opposite in fact. I just don't want to have to wait for the lightweight if the redline 75w90 will be ok for the rear diff

I Support ClubWRX
    I hear ya I hear ya. But most of what I red in the Redline Gear Oil only, was people using the 75W90NS. And they were using it in the tranny. I'm talkin about the rear diff. One guy(Zoinks) said that regular 75W90 should be good for the rear.

It's not that I don't believe you or trust you guys, just the opposite in fact. I just don't want to have to wait for the lightweight if the redline 75w90 will be ok for the rear diff
    Sorry I misunderstood. Yes redline will be fine in the rear diff.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't spend a lot of $ on fluid for the rear diff, it's a sealed unit- the Redline will work fine, but so would just about any 75w90- the "fickle" part is the tranny
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Well i filled up with 3+ quarts of redline lightweight shockproof tranny oil and the car definity shifts betters.

Thanks Big Sky and Jeremy. You guys have been a big help since I joined the community. Big Sky's write up about the plug change, and Jeremy and SD_GR with all the info about fluids. Thanks again.

Did the change yesterday. I used Jeremy's pump idea to get the .8 quarts in the diff. Worked like a charm.

I also bought a cheap quart of oil to flush the diff out. The dino mobil 75w90 was pretty black after only 8-9k. And I still had quite a bit of metal shavings. Maybe cause I didn't get it as full the first time? I got a pic I'll post later, when I figure out how to do that.

Car feels great. Almost seems that the drivetrain engages smoother than the dino mobil. Again, maybe cause I didn't get the diff as full last time I did it.

I still wanna try the superlight shockproof, especially after reading the pdf that Jeremy posted.

"SuperLight Gear Oil- a 70W/75W GL-5 gear oil with the
    viscosity of an ATF. This is used when temperatures are
    not high and when the maximum power output is
    required such as in qualifying laps."

Sounds like it would transfer more power to the wheels, or at least transfer it more efficiently. Maybe my logic is clouded by all the fine herbal medicine Cali has to offer.hehehe

You need help getting the pics up send them to me and I can do it for you.
    right on Jeremy, I tried to crop them down, but I only have limited editing tools on my mac, I need to by CS3 or the latest one. Whats your email? theres 2 or 3 pics, one showing the old dino mobil comin out, and a couple of the magnetic drain plug.

Edit: resize here they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0597rz.jpg   IMGP0601rz.jpg   IMGP0602rz.jpg  
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-28-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added pics

Redline Mix question

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    To add to this I have over 10k on my Redline mixture and it is still as wonderful as the day I put it in. I have absolutely zero intention of switching to something else as IMO there is simply no need. The transmission just works exactly as it should.

I also intend on running a few SCCA ProSolo events this year and having the Shockproof in the trans should be helpful for the standing starts.
    I was thinking of trying the redline mix in my 04 WRX. I have been using USC for about 10K with the synchromesh and Hypoy and its much better than the stock oil but am worried about people now saying the Synchromesh might not be a good longterm fluid to use in the tranny.

I live in Boston so we get frequent cold temperatures in the winter here. Using a mix of 2Q's LW Shockproof and 1.5/1.7Q's Redline 75W90NS would I need to add any slip lock for the cold weather?

Is one better than the other also of the Amsoil MTG vs the Redline 75w90NS?

Thanks for any help.

I Support ClubWRX

Update.

I have had the new mixture in for about 3k miles now and WOW is all I have to say. Without a doubt the best my tranny has ever shifted. Ambient temps have been between 40 deg F and 78 Deg F.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

get the lightweight shock proof, it's worth the wait...

I have had the new mixture in for about 3k miles now and WOW is all I have to say. Without a doubt the best my tranny has ever shifted. Ambient temps have been between 40 deg F and 78 Deg F.
    what's the new mixture?
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 03-12-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: save space

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jogfrogjog View Post

what's the new mixture?
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showpo...6&postcount=49
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks for the update, I just bought the mixture online and can't wait to drop it in my car.

Any word from Blackstone on the USC analysis?

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the update, I just bought the mixture online and can't wait to drop it in my car.

Any word from Blackstone on the USC analysis?
    I'm gonna send it off today as a matter of fact. Its been in their sample bottle for a few weeks, just been waiting on the dust to settle from housing stuff, but I'm ready to send her off.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE