>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 5
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I decided to do the full shock proof change instead of RP's synchromax just b/c I would have mixed with ...

I decided to do the full shock proof change instead of RP's synchromax just b/c I would have mixed with the RP that i have now (maxgear?) and I was dissuaded from keeping the RP in there from the test results posted about the comparison... It's hard to get in first and reverse in the cold, and when it warms up, it's hard to get into first with the car rolling... I've only see good posts about shockproof, so I'm gonna try that... the $135 for the extra S is more than I can afford right now...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

just put in the shockproof tonight... we'll see how it goes.. seems much smoother, mA, so far, but we'll see with longer term... I was able to get into first going between 25-30 mph... and the car seems lighter... still have to to do the diff....

anyone try the heavyduty shock proof? it's supposed to be more durable according to the label on the lightduty label...

we'll see how this is in the cold in the morning on the way to work...

I also put in some redline lightweight shockproof in the 5mt and it seems to shift smoother

it doesn't work to well when it's real cold out like this morning, but after it warms up it's good.... 1st gear is useful again for more than just pulling from a start... actually I think this is the first time since I got the car (112k miles ago) that I'm able to downshift into first between 30-25 mph and it helps with the turbo lag at a tight turn or turning left into a parking lot or something where you have to slow for oncoming traffic to pass...

Results from blackstone

Hey Jeremy, any word from Blackstone on the USC?

rear diff fluid

Jeremy, I saw you put Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil in the rear diff. I'm wondering how you are liking it.

Currently I have Mobil 1 75W90, regular dino oil, in it and its about 10k old.(did the first change at 35k, now I'm at ~44k) After reading a few different posts and then this one here I decided to swap cause its so easy and will only cost about 10$ for the redline.

When I went to my local auto supply that carries Redline, they didn't have it and said they wouldn't order any more for a few months. I found a shop that had Redline Superlight Shockproof Gear Oil, and Redline 75w90 so I picked up a quart of each and figured I ask the folks here.

The Redline page says the Superlight Shockproof is, "A unique product with the viscosity of a 75w90 gear oil but lower internal temperature similar to that of an ATF. Used when temperatures are not high and when the maximum power output is required such as in stock car qualifying laps.

Used in low-power road racing transxles like Formula Vee and low-power SCCA Production classes (dog-ring type, generally not sycro application where this product can be slippery)."

source(http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...6&categoryID=6 )

Same page says the Lightweight Shockproof is, "A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions). It has excellent low-temperature flow which allows easier shifting when cold. May be used to obtain maximum power transfer in racing differentials which do not see high temperatures. Similar to a 75W140 gear oil, but with the lower internal friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.

Used in most road-racing differentials with moderate power and dogring racing transaxles."

I'm wondering if the Superlight will protect as well as the Lightweight, the bottle of Superlight says, "For maximum durability, use Heavy Shockproof or Lightweight Shockproof."

I'm also wondering if the Lightweight Shockproof is too thick hot, being more like a 75w140. Our cars call for 75W90 in the rear diff right? Even wrxs and Stis(mines a N/A 06 wagon)

Lastly I'm wondering if I should just use the Redline 75w90 cause the Superlight Shockproof isn't API cerified and the 75w90 is recommended for API GL-5, GL-6 and MT-1.

Thanks and sorry if this is confusing, I'm a silly newbie to these forum things.

After readin all the info here and elsewhere, I'd like to swap the Mobil1 75w90 in the rear diff for something better.

However, the local auto supply didn't have the lightweight shockproof anymore and weren't goin to order some for some months they said. They did have one quart of Superlight Shockproof and some Redline 75w90.

I grabbed one of each, thought I'd ask you guys how you feel about it, then do the swap and report my results.

Here are my feelings:

The Superlight says on the bottle,"For maximum durability, use Heavy Shockproof or Lightweight Shockproof." I'm wondering if this means it doesn't protect as well or if it wont last as long, meaning the change interval is like 10k instead of 20-30k.

The redline webpage says that the superlight is like a 75w90, but with lower internal friction similar to that of ATF. The same page says the lightweight is more like a 75w140. Our cars require a 75w90 in the rear diff with a API rating of GL-5 or MT-1 right? So is the lightweight too thick at high temperatures?

I'm wondering what you guys would choose, the Superlight Shockproof or the redline 75w90. Or if you'd still stick with the Lightweight Shockproof?

AAHHH, sorry for the double(now tripple) post, my comp freaked in the middle of the first one and I wasn't sure it worked and wasn't there when I went back to make the second.

Sorry again

peace n love
    -mikey

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyphotog View Post
    Hey Jeremy, any word from Blackstone on the USC?
    I dropped the ball. I have the sample in its container ready to send it in and haven't yet (been stressing over home buying).

Jeremy, I saw you put Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil in the rear diff. I'm wondering how you are liking it.
    I actually really like it. I am running a 60/40ish mix of the lightweight shockproof and Amsoil SVG 75w90 gear oil in the trans and the LW shockproof in the rear diff. The drivetrain engages very smooth (maybe a little better than the USC) and the noise (meat grinder sound and gear whine) is greatly reduced. I can down shift 2-1 at 30+ mph without double clutching (heel-toe rev match though).

I'm also wondering if the Lightweight Shockproof is too thick hot, being more like a 75w140. Our cars call for 75W90 in the rear diff right? Even wrxs and Stis(mines a N/A 06 wagon)
    Well LW Shockproof is a little thick for very cold weather >10 DEG F IMO to run straight. For cold weather I'd run:

1.5 qts of LW shckproof
    2 qts Amsoil MTG (30% better cold flow characteristics than the SVG)

Lastly I'm wondering if I should just use the Redline 75w90 cause the Superlight Shockproof isn't API cerified and the 75w90 is recommended for API GL-5, GL-6 and MT-1.
    Well the literature in the Redlines pdf states that "LightWeight Gear Oil - a 75W/80W GL-5 gear oil" its semi confusing since they have a "shockproof" paragraph below that too.

If you are really worried about warranty (hope nothing else is modified) I'd run the Genuine Subaru Extra-S.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

You didn't drop the ball, you just picked up another one from a different field in life. Good luck with the home buying.

I'm not worried about the cold weather, being that I live in Southern California. I thinkin the lightweight might be too thick once it gets hot, being more like a 75w140(my info on this comes from here:http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...6&categoryID=6

I'm wondering which you'd choose for the rear diff: the Superlight Shockproof, or the Redline 75w90? Or would you order the Lightweight online and wait for shippin?

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I has some superlight I was going to run in the winter, my old sedan blew up before I got a chance to run it. If I was in sunny CA I'd probably run regular lightweight (or a mix).
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I has some superlight I was going to run in the winter, my old sedan blew up before I got a chance to run it. If I was in sunny CA I'd probably run regular lightweight (or a mix).
    Thanks Big Sky,

Would the mix be of the lightweight shockproof and the superlight shockproof? Or lightweight and the 75w90?

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd run straight lightweight or one of the "cocktails" noted in this thread

you might search around but I'm not aware of anyone running the super lightweight (it may be fine, but I don't think you want to be the guinea pig )

or the oe Subaru Extra S
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks Big Sky,

Would the mix be of the lightweight shockproof and the superlight shockproof? Or lightweight and the 75w90?
    Run the lightweight. It has flow characteristics similar to 30w, it'll be fine. I run it and I'm in Norcal.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Run the lightweight. It has flow characteristics similar to 30w, it'll be fine. I run it and I'm in Norcal.
    I see that lightweight is the winner, but what if I don't really wanna wait for the lightweight to ship here would the 75W90 be cool? I assume it would be cause its just a synthetic version of the Mobil1 75W90 I have in there now. It just doesn't have those shockproof additives.