>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 4
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok what is the shopping list for tranny and diff? there is an amsoil place on my way to school ...

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    ok what is the shopping list for tranny and diff?

there is an amsoil place on my way to school i can get it.

Dude the change in my tranny is going to be sick if the fluids really are 30-77k miles old

what did you pay for the redline and amsoil combined?
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-02-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: save space in tech thread
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    ok what is the shopping list for tranny and diff?
    This is what I went out and bought an hour ago:

Tranny:

2 qts of Redline Lightweight Shockproof $10 x 2
    2 qts of Amsoil SVG 75w90. $12 x 2

Diff:

1qt Redline lightweight shockproof. $10 x 1

total was about $54 + tax

You can substitute the Amsoil with Redline, but based on the user testimonials of redline gear oil and the data from the .pdf above, I not going to.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-02-2008 at 01:56 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

Trans Fluid Swap

Here are the pics of the fluid swap. Everything went pretty much as expected, that poor little R160 rear diff and its .8 qt of fluid really gets a workout even with synthetic fluid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIC1.jpg   PIC2.jpg   PIC3.jpg   PIC4.jpg   PIC5.jpg  

PIC6.jpg   PIC7.jpg   PIC8.jpg   PIC9.jpg   PIC10.jpg  

Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-03-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Initial Impressions

I could tell the USC needed to be changed, it was singing me a symphony on deceleration. Shifting was still fine and I had no problems on the 2-1 shift over 15 mph.

Well the new mixture of:
    2 qts redline LW Shockproof
    1.5 qts of Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90

did as expected and quieted the tranny down quite a bit. Shifting was the same, maybe slightly better. I'll update this post a few times after I have some mileage on it.

100 miles:

After 100 miles it acts the same way as the USC did when I first put it in. Nice smooth shift engagement, almost doesn't feel like a subi tranny. Less noise than USC with 20k miles on it, but probably the same as a fresh batch of USC put in.

3000 miles:

Awesome is a great word to describe it. Best my car has ever shifted.

10000 miles:

One last pic that wouldn't fit above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIC11.jpg  
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 03-12-2008 at 12:28 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Figured I would chime in here... I can't remember where I read it, but on some pretty big subbie site I read that they were running mt-90 redline strait w/ good success in the 5mt, I have had mt-90 redline in my car since about 40k, i have 80k now on the same fluid and it has gave me no reason to change it, I have been through about 7 auto-x's w/ it and up to deal's gap for a grueling couple of days, I also somehow ended up w/ the reg 75-90 redline rather than the NS for the rear diff, and have had to problems either
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    How often to you change the fluid in your gearbox?
    The first time from the stock fluid was ~35k-40k miles. I switch to Straight Redline Shockproof Lightweight in the tranny & rear diff. I changed it again ~35k-40k miles later, the oil looked great. I haven't changed it again since, I'm going to let it run for another 25k miles or so. Like I said the car has just over 100k miles on it now.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

I Support ClubWRX
    That's really interesting. You're using basically the stock maintenance intervals and are very pleased. That's great! One reservation I have had with cocktails in the past is the stated need to replace the fluids more frequently than when using regular gear oil. You seem to have had no problems at all, which is very encouraging.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's really interesting. You're using basically the stock maintenance intervals and are very pleased. That's great! One reservation I have had with cocktails in the past is the stated need to replace the fluids more frequently than when using regular gear oil. You seem to have had no problems at all, which is very encouraging.
    I think the syncromesh is what decreases the interval of the USC. Its different oil base doesn't seem to play nice with the others.

Interesting to note:

from Redline LW shock proof page

• Compatible with petroleums and synthetics
    Amsoil:

AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR® is compatible with conventional and synthetic gear oils. Mixing AMSOIL gear oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed.
    Well I guess there is the smoking gun.

* ADDED PICS ABOVE.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    what products in the coctail recipe you gave me yesterday have the syncromesh?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    what products in the coctail recipe you gave me yesterday have the syncromesh?
    NONE.

Uncle Scottys cocktail calls for Syncromesh fluid, but based on research I don't think its needed. I gave you the same list of products I just installed.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Jeremy, this also works well for a cheap funnel. That's just some fuel line hose.

This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Jeremy, this also works well for a cheap funnel. That's just some fuel line hose.

I have actually made several of these before, thanks for adding a pic . My only complaint is the limited hole size on the bottle even with trimming, but its free.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I have actually made several of these before, thanks for adding a pic . My only complaint is the limited hole size on the bottle even with trimming, but its free.
    Exactly, but for the maybe once a year I change the trans fluid it works great.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX

What fluid were you running when your transmission blew?

I started a thread to see what fluid people were running when their transmissions blew. I searched to find out who had blown fluid and at what mileage and mods. Took a lot of info from this thread and made some assumptions. Most people had low mileage and said their car was 100&#37; stock. Knowing that the factory maintenance interval for tranny fluid is at 30k miles, its safe to say that anyone under that is running on stock fluid.

So far it looks like Dino oil takes it.

The "What tranny fluid were you running when it blew?" thread

Also posted a similar thread on Nasioc to help draw on their larger member base for this thread *crosses fingers*
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-04-2008 at 01:43 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I swapped from dino oil to the original USC formula about a 1,000 miles ago and have been pleased with the performance (I did the swap at about 10K).

I have an '07 WRX and didn't have any issues before the swap. The USC is nice though and is getting "smoother" as time goes by.

I did a lot of reading and forum searches and the thoughts that influenced me were:

1) I found enough reasonable concern over using synthetics in the tranny, that I decided to stay with the original USC formula.

2) The corrosive arguement of the USC is worrysome, but I personally am not swayed because I haven't seen a lot of failures posted by members using the cocktail. And the Pennzoil Syncromesh states that it's friendly to brass in manual trannys. But it's something to keep an eye on in the forums.

3) Mobil 1 gear oil seems to be a universal fav in the rear diff, so I went with that as well.

4) Changing the tranny and rear diff once a year (or so) isn't a big expense or very time-consuming (if you do it yourself). So if the cocktail needs replacing at shorter intervals, it's no big thing to me personally. In fact, shorter intervals could only help in maintaining good clean fluid. Plus, don't we all like working on our cars

If I do decide that the USC should go, I probably would look at going with the Subaru 5 gallon stuff.

Awesome thread (thanks 06wrx4me!)
    Last edited by Pavia; 02-10-2008 at 08:59 AM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)