>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by jogfrogjog what mixture of redline and shock proof do you have? JR is using 1.7qts of Shockproof ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jogfrogjog View Post
    what mixture of redline and shock proof do you have?
    JR is using 1.7qts of Shockproof and 2 qts Redline 75w90NS

Quote Originally Posted by jogfrogjog View Post
    has any one tried Royal Purple's Synchromax? I"m thinking to drop a court of the royal purple I have and put in some Synchromax... supposed to be good on soft metals found in snycho trannys
    The only info I have found on here (I have searched a ton) is on the RP maxgear.

I suggest you go for it and report back. Then I'll add it to the review list on page 2.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 01-31-2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: save space in tech thread
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Can I complicate this a little more and ask what difference if any would this stuff have in the six speed?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Can I complicate this a little more and ask what difference if any would this stuff have in the six speed?
    The 6MT tends to have fewer problems due to its oiling system being an internal pump instead of splash lubrication like the 5MT. But I can say that Redline shockproof is not recommended in the STi 6MT as it may clog the internal pump. This info is on redlines website and I believe page 1 of this thread.

ShockProof&#174; products work in a variety of differential and transmissions, however, should not be used with pumps, filters, and with small lines--these fluids are designed wet sump or splash type lubrication.
    http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...6&categoryID=6

Based on all my research, I would recommend a 75w90 with an additive in it for the 6MT. I would probably run the Amsoil SVG 75w90 with 4oz of Slip lock to help out the front LSD. Or perhaps a syncromesh blend.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 01-31-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Lots of great info here. I was one of the '+ reviews' for straight Redline Shockproof Lightweight over 2 yrs ago. Guess what I'm still running it. >100k miles on the stock tranny/engine @ >350whp/340wtq.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    The 6MT tends to have fewer problems due to its oiling system being an internal pump instead of splash lubrication like the 5MT. But I can conclusively say that Redline shockproof is not recommended in the STi 6MT as it may clog the internal pump. This info is on redlines website and I believe page 1 of this thread.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...6&categoryID=6

Based on all my research, I would recommend a 75w90 with an additive in it for the 6MT. I would probably run the Amsoil SVG 75w90 with 4oz of Slip lock to help out the front LSD. Or perhaps a syncromesh blend.

I'm thinking of changing probaly in the spring. My first gear is hard as crap to get into when cold unless you are stopped. Second gear is horrible until the car is well warmed up.

2nd gear can be a bear even with double clutching (which should by pass the syncro) when cold.

did you notice any metal shavings?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm thinking of changing probaly in the spring. My first gear is hard as crap to get into when cold unless you are stopped. Second gear is horrible until the car is well warmed up.

2nd gear can be a bear even with double clutching (which should by pass the syncro) when cold.
    I do know based on viscosity comparo. that the MTG 75w90 from amsoil is 30% thinner in cold weather than the SVG, would require close to 8oz of slip lock to work properly, but would have much better cold weather characteristics.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I do know based on viscosity comparo. that the MTG 75w90 from amsoil is 30% thinner in cold weather than the SVG, would require close to 8oz of slip lock to work properly, but would have much better cold weather characteristics.
    Do you know if these would meet "warranty" requirements? That's a fairly big deal to me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you know if these would meet "warranty" requirements? That's a fairly big deal to me.
    Yes. The Amsoil SVG with slip lock would meet warranty requirements. It is API GL5 MT1 which is what Subaru recommends.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ada.aspx
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by testes1010 View Post
    Lots of great info here. I was one of the '+ reviews' for straight Redline Shockproof Lightweight over 2 yrs ago. Guess what I'm still running it. >100k miles on the stock tranny/engine @ >350whp/340wtq.
    How often to you change the fluid in your gearbox?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX

Great Article on the STi 6MT

http://www.driveperformance.subaru.c.../blueprint.asp

Interesting:

The gear set is mounted to a steel adaptor plate, which is bolted to the front of the differential casing. The transmission casing supports the gear set at the rear. This straightforward design adds to strength and durability.
    To withstand the engine’s 300 lb-ft of torque, transmission gears require added hardening of their surfaces. Hardening the interior metal would make the gears fragile and susceptible to breakage, so the hardening process is applied only to the gear surfaces.
    Subaru uses two processes to harden the gear teeth a carburizing heat treatment and quenching process, and a shot-peening process. Carburizing the steel gears involves exposing them to heat and carbon to form surfaces that are then hardened by quenching in a liquid. Shot peening bombards the surfaces of the gears with small metal pieces at high velocity, which is similar in concept to a blacksmith hammering steel into shape.
    But remember, unlike a traditional two-wheel-drive vehicle where wheelspin is a common occurrence, Subaru All-Wheel Drive provides rock-solid traction. This same resistance to wheelspin can put a tremendous strain on a transmission gear set. The choice is yours. Drag racing any vehicle exposes a drivetrain to forces well beyond those of normal day-to-day driving. These types of failures are not a consideration of any manufacturer’s warranty. Sorry.

OILED AND PUMPED

The 6-speed transmission is lubricated by a trochoidal oil pump mounted at the rear of the unit. The pump has a 4-lobe inner rotor and 5-lobe outer rotor. Gear-driven by the center differential, the rotors force oil to the transmission’s main shaft, pinion shaft and transfer gears at a rate that depends on the center differential’s speed. A regulator and pressure-relief valve maintain oil pressure.
    A pressurized system ensures a constant oil supply to the gearing while minimizing the amount of oil required within the transmission case. The oil level lies underneath most of the gearing, which reduces both friction and oil foaming. Reduced friction improves efficiency and performance, and keeping the oil from foaming helps to maintain oil quality and effectiveness.
    While lubricating the transmission, the oil system also helps to cool it by carrying away heat from the gearing, which enhances durability and reliability.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

Independant oil study

Found a Very Very informative write up on oils.

Interesting to this thread:

Both Redline 75w90 and Royal Purple Max Gear failed the Brookfield Viscosity@ -40&#176;C (-40&#176;F) for 75W-90.

Royal Purple and Lucas failed the cold-temperature Brookfield requirements for 75W gear
    lubes, as well as the high-temperature requirements for SAE 90 gear lubes, effectively disqualifying them entirely from the
    SAE 75W-90 category. Royal Purple Max-Gear, having also failed the Shear Stability Test, was the only gear lube to fail
    every parameter of the SAE J306 requirements. Red Line was 14,100 cP over the maximum allowable viscosity at 164,100
    cP,
    http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/br...lube_study.pdf

Posted conclusions, and the lowest score wins. Black denotes not failing any category. FYI: Castrol Hypoy C 80w90 is gear oil "Uncle Scotty on Nasioc" recommends for his USC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gear oil test.jpg  
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-01-2008 at 05:41 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    good read I think I'd feel a tiny bit better if the testing wasn't at the request of Amsoil- if you take them out though you get a good idea comparing the other gear oils to each other
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    good read I think I'd feel a tiny bit better if the testing wasn't at the request of Amsoil- if you take them out though you get a good idea comparing the other gear oils to each other
    Agreed, although the affidavits at the end kinda hammer it home . I think I have decided on a formulation.

2 qts of Redline Lightweight Shockproof
    1.5 qts of Amsoil SVG 75w90.

1qt Redline lightweight shockproof in rear diff.

Initially I set out to replace the shockproof, but can not turn a blind eye to the overwhelming positive member reviews. I do not like the characteristics of the Syncromesh and doubt its necessity in the USC. I will send a sample of the old USC away to Blackstone for analysis and post the fluid change details here with pics and impressions.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-01-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    JR is using 1.7qts of Shockproof and 2 qts Redline 75w90NS
    It is the other way around; 2 qts of Shockproof, ~1.7 of Redline 75w90 NS. I am very happily using the same. It has transformed the way the WRX feels more than I could have imagined. This cocktail works great down to temps in the upper teens (that is as cold as I have seen this winter).

Use this mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    To add to this I have over 10k on my Redline mixture and it is still as wonderful as the day I put it in. I have absolutely zero intention of switching to something else as IMO there is simply no need. The transmission just works exactly as it should.

I also intend on running a few SCCA ProSolo events this year and having the Shockproof in the trans should be helpful for the standing starts.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-10-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.