>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 26
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My pleasure. Thought it was about time someone did some sound empirical data collection. When you see things like this ...

My pleasure. Thought it was about time someone did some sound empirical data collection. When you see things like this with Uncle Scotty's cocktail separating etc, one has to wonder what it means long term. Now we have an idea

Bartender: One Scotty's cocktail please. - Page 65 - NASIOC

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Repped.

People, rep this user!

This is VERY VALUABLE information.

It goes toward proving what many have suspected all along -- the guru mixes are at best questionable (I'm being lenient). Reports like this should be stickied.

THANK YOU!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sad to read the link. I'll admit, posting what evolved into a namesake "cocktail" online was ambitious on his part. However namecalling and repetition aren't as valuable as actual data as it turns out!

That pic with the nicely layered cocktail components was great!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just changed out the transmission oil of 2009 WRX.

I am sad to say it has never had it done before. I drained some pretty disgraceful looking fluid. There were some metal shavings, some stink and chunks adhered to the magnetic drain plug. The torx T70 was hard to find, but for $20 I found it and performed the change.

I used the glorious Subaru Extra S 75W90 by Idemitsu. I did notice a better feel right away and downshifting into first is quite a bit easier. I am gonna order another batch!
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar)

I Support ClubWRX
    Great info with the Blackstone report!
    Last edited by Donkey; 07-23-2014 at 03:59 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hi!
    Is anyone using Royal Purple 75-140? Need some opinions on transmission fluid? What do you use and why.
    Blammo is using Subaru Extra S 75w90 is this ideal weight? And which transmission filter? Call me paranoid but I want to change it at 10,000. My job is close to home, I'll have had the car like 4 years before I hit 30,000. Looking for helpful suggestions.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Need some opinions on transmission fluid?
    See UOAs and opinions, this thread.

Blammo is using Subaru Extra S 75w90 is this ideal weight?
    Ideal depends on environment but in general, yes, as this is the works fluid at a viscosity chosen by the works.

And which transmission filter?
    None. There is no transmission filter on manual gearbox cars. There IS a transmission filter on automatic cars; it is shaped like an oil filter and is often confused for an oil filter, but isn't. If your car is manual, see this thread as stated. If your car is automatic, DO NOT use manual gearbox lube in your transmission (in other words, IGNORE THIS THREAD). Use the correct automatic transmission fluid and get the correct automatic transmission filter from any dealer.

See whether your drain bolt is a T-70 or a conventional 21mm bolt and have the right socket around. Also see if you have a funnel and tubing that'll prevent you from having to take off the IC (I would not take off the IC for a fluid change and use tubing instead).
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    See UOAs and opinions, this thread.

Ideal depends on environment but in general, yes, as this is the works fluid at a viscosity chosen by the works.

None. There is no transmission filter on manual gearbox cars. There IS a transmission filter on automatic cars; it is shaped like an oil filter and is often confused for an oil filter, but isn't. If your car is manual, see this thread as stated. If your car is automatic, DO NOT use manual gearbox lube in your transmission (in other words, IGNORE THIS THREAD). Use the correct automatic transmission fluid and get the correct automatic transmission filter from any dealer.

See whether your drain bolt is a T-70 or a conventional 21mm bolt and have the right socket around. Also see if you have a funnel and tubing that'll prevent you from having to take off the IC (I would not take off the IC for a fluid change and use tubing instead).

Thanks for the info SD_GR. My 2013 is a 5 speed, my 04 was automatic. I've never changed it in a 5 speed before. (As you can probably tell)
    I'm new to manual transmission. I'm the guy who waited till my thirties to buy a tuner car. Pay less insurance, not get hassled by cops. (I went to school with 4 of them in my town) so with a MT do I flush it or just drain and fill?
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Thanks for the info SD_GR. My 2013 is a 5 speed, my 04 was automatic. I've never changed it in a 5 speed before. (As you probably tell)
    I'm new to manual transmission. I'm the guy who waited till my thirties to buy a tuner car. Pay less insurance, not get hassled by cops. (I went to school with 4 of them in my town) so with a MT do I flush it or just drain and fill?
    I just drain and refill. It is nearly impossible to drain the gearbox entirely so either measure what you remove and replace the same volume or carefully add little by little so as to not overfill. The 2013 gearbox may be different to my 2002 but the principle is the same. Since you have a 2013 and the car is under warranty, keep dated receipts for everything and make sure the fluid you end up chosing is the correct spec as per your owner's book.