>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 26
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My pleasure. Thought it was about time someone did some sound empirical data collection. When you see things like this ...

My pleasure. Thought it was about time someone did some sound empirical data collection. When you see things like this with Uncle Scotty's cocktail separating etc, one has to wonder what it means long term. Now we have an idea

Bartender: One Scotty's cocktail please. - Page 65 - NASIOC

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Repped.

People, rep this user!

This is VERY VALUABLE information.

It goes toward proving what many have suspected all along -- the guru mixes are at best questionable (I'm being lenient). Reports like this should be stickied.

THANK YOU!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sad to read the link. I'll admit, posting what evolved into a namesake "cocktail" online was ambitious on his part. However namecalling and repetition aren't as valuable as actual data as it turns out!

That pic with the nicely layered cocktail components was great!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just changed out the transmission oil of 2009 WRX.

I am sad to say it has never had it done before. I drained some pretty disgraceful looking fluid. There were some metal shavings, some stink and chunks adhered to the magnetic drain plug. The torx T70 was hard to find, but for $20 I found it and performed the change.

I used the glorious Subaru Extra S 75W90 by Idemitsu. I did notice a better feel right away and downshifting into first is quite a bit easier. I am gonna order another batch!
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar)

I Support ClubWRX
    Great info with the Blackstone report!
    Last edited by Donkey; 07-23-2014 at 03:59 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hi!
    Is anyone using Royal Purple 75-140? Need some opinions on transmission fluid? What do you use and why.
    Blammo is using Subaru Extra S 75w90 is this ideal weight? And which transmission filter? Call me paranoid but I want to change it at 10,000. My job is close to home, I'll have had the car like 4 years before I hit 30,000. Looking for helpful suggestions.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Need some opinions on transmission fluid?
    See UOAs and opinions, this thread.

Blammo is using Subaru Extra S 75w90 is this ideal weight?
    Ideal depends on environment but in general, yes, as this is the works fluid at a viscosity chosen by the works.

And which transmission filter?
    None. There is no transmission filter on manual gearbox cars. There IS a transmission filter on automatic cars; it is shaped like an oil filter and is often confused for an oil filter, but isn't. If your car is manual, see this thread as stated. If your car is automatic, DO NOT use manual gearbox lube in your transmission (in other words, IGNORE THIS THREAD). Use the correct automatic transmission fluid and get the correct automatic transmission filter from any dealer.

See whether your drain bolt is a T-70 or a conventional 21mm bolt and have the right socket around. Also see if you have a funnel and tubing that'll prevent you from having to take off the IC (I would not take off the IC for a fluid change and use tubing instead).
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    See UOAs and opinions, this thread.

Ideal depends on environment but in general, yes, as this is the works fluid at a viscosity chosen by the works.

None. There is no transmission filter on manual gearbox cars. There IS a transmission filter on automatic cars; it is shaped like an oil filter and is often confused for an oil filter, but isn't. If your car is manual, see this thread as stated. If your car is automatic, DO NOT use manual gearbox lube in your transmission (in other words, IGNORE THIS THREAD). Use the correct automatic transmission fluid and get the correct automatic transmission filter from any dealer.

See whether your drain bolt is a T-70 or a conventional 21mm bolt and have the right socket around. Also see if you have a funnel and tubing that'll prevent you from having to take off the IC (I would not take off the IC for a fluid change and use tubing instead).

Thanks for the info SD_GR. My 2013 is a 5 speed, my 04 was automatic. I've never changed it in a 5 speed before. (As you can probably tell)
    I'm new to manual transmission. I'm the guy who waited till my thirties to buy a tuner car. Pay less insurance, not get hassled by cops. (I went to school with 4 of them in my town) so with a MT do I flush it or just drain and fill?
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Thanks for the info SD_GR. My 2013 is a 5 speed, my 04 was automatic. I've never changed it in a 5 speed before. (As you probably tell)
    I'm new to manual transmission. I'm the guy who waited till my thirties to buy a tuner car. Pay less insurance, not get hassled by cops. (I went to school with 4 of them in my town) so with a MT do I flush it or just drain and fill?
    I just drain and refill. It is nearly impossible to drain the gearbox entirely so either measure what you remove and replace the same volume or carefully add little by little so as to not overfill. The 2013 gearbox may be different to my 2002 but the principle is the same. Since you have a 2013 and the car is under warranty, keep dated receipts for everything and make sure the fluid you end up chosing is the correct spec as per your owner's book.

I'll chime in here.

I bought my 2006 WRX Wagon 1.5 years ago. 2 months after owning it, I drained the trans and rear diff fluid. Neither appeared to ever have been serviced prior (88k miles on the odometer) - it was VERY dark grey with shiny metal bits - no chunks though (thankfully).

I put in AMSOil 75w90 Severe Gear fluid. Initially, I noticed zero difference. After a few miles (15 or so), shifting became a LOT smoother. The gear grind that I used to have (going into 3rd) was completed GONE.

On cold mornings, shifting was a LOT easier than it was previously.

I then tried something that is useful for REALLY tight turns - downshifting from 2nd into 1st. I am able to repeatedly downshift from 2nd into 1st at any speed from 30mph or lower.

It has now been over 18,000 miles. I have never touched the fluid. Shifting is still perfectly smooth, downshifting from 2nd into 1st is still as effortless as it was the first time and still absolutely zero signs of that 3rd gear grind.

My wife has a 1989 AllTrac Camry with a 5-speed manual. She was running Redline Lightweight Shockproof. It was tough to shift on cold mornings, but otherwise it was ok. Sometimes getting out of 1st to go into 2nd was tough.

I bought some AMSOil 75w90 Severe Gear fluid - drained her Redline fluid (4000 miles on it) and put in the AMSOil fluid. The next time she drove it (1 day later) - when she came home from work she immediately told me how much smoother the shifting was. There was no hesitation coming out of 1st and going into 2nd. It was not a particularly cold morning, so I cannot comment on that as of yet. But, it has been over 8000 miles since then - and the shifting has remained as smooth as the first time with the AMSOil fluid.

Frankly, I won't touch Redline products anymore - not worth my time or money.

I am using AMSOil products in every aspect of my Subaru (air filter, oil filter, fuel system cleaner, brake and clutch fluid, coolant, engine oil and the above mentioned trans and diff fluid). I am going on nearly 8000 miles on this oil change, but will let it go up to 12,000 miles. i do check the oil and top it off if it is a bit low, but nothing else. My wife's Camry has a similar treatment, but she'll be going around 40,000 miles on her oil change.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by not12listen View Post
    I am using AMSOil products in every aspect of my Subaru (air filter, oil filter, fuel system cleaner, brake and clutch fluid, coolant, engine oil and the above mentioned trans and diff fluid). I am going on nearly 8000 miles on this oil change, but will let it go up to 12,000 miles. i do check the oil and top it off if it is a bit low, but nothing else. My wife's Camry has a similar treatment, but she'll be going around 40,000 miles on her oil change.
    AMSOil does make good fluids. HOWEVER,

1) you may want to check on the specs of the oil filter. Subaru turbo engines require a higher bypass pressure (23 psi bypass pressure for EJ engines). Not sure which filter you are running, but you will want to make sure it meets Subaru requirements, not simply that it fits.

2) what is the reason for going 8-12K miles on your changes? Why 40K on the '89 toyota mill? Are you trying to prove something, or simply hate your engines that much? I know that syn oils today are amazing, and I know that some makes (like Porsche, at 20K miles) have uber high OCIs, but an '89 Toyo mill is no a $80K+ german, and with the abuse a turbo EJ takes, 8-12K is just mean.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by not12listen View Post

Frankly, I won't touch Redline products anymore - not worth my time or money.
    Not a fan either. When I did my tranny fluid on my first STI, I put Redline in...made an otherwise perfectly fine tranny, seem sloppier than it should be.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

1. the filter i am running is specifically for the WRX ej255 application. i've not checked on the bypass pressure spec though - i will look into that.

2a. (Subaru) the oil is rated for 25,000 miles, the filter for 15,000 miles - this saves me money, hassle and having to find an oil recycling center.

2b. (Camry) my wife's setup is 'unique' - she has an oil bypass kit that is rated for 40,000 miles and filters down to 1 micron. again, cost savings and hassle saving.

to give a bit of background on my wife's setup - previous to the bypass kit, there was around 1200 miles on the oil and it was pitch BLACK (Castrol GTX 10w30). i installed the bypass kit. i checked the oil 90 miles later - it was NEARLY new looking. the acceleration was better, crisper and the MPG went up a bit too (1 or 2 mpg). then switching her camry over to amsoil oil, the response and acceleration got even better - mpg was maybe 1mpg improved.

Mother of god. Read every page and there is some good information in there. Had to join because I'm finding some decent technical stuff on this forum. I came into this thread looking for some specific information concerning Amsoil and almost found it on the last few pages.

Since this is my first post a little background. Have been a Subaru owner since I got my license. Born and raised in Colorado owning a Subaru just feels right. Have been building and racing cars pretty much my whole life, specializing in Forced induction vehicles mainly MKIV supras, RX7's, silvias and skylines. Previously a Nissan master Tech. Been out of the performance "Scene" for a while since starting a family.

I have Always played with subarus for daily drivers and bashers but never built them for high horsepower applications. I've dealt with my fair share of different fluids for different purposes over the years, redline products being popular with customer cars. I don't know if they have changed formulas in the last 8 or 10 years but due to my experience with redline in the past, I would not run it in my personal car just due to the seal swellers in their products. I would say 9 times out of 10 if there was a transmission seal leak on a customer car, a redline product was installed. Output shaft seals were fairly common especially in the Nissan transmissions but after installing redline, the swellers would soften the seals and cause leaks. If a customer would want to install a redline product I would always recommend installing fresh seals at the same time as a precaution. Output shaft seal is no biggy to replace but when the front mainshaft seal goes you might as well replace the clutch while you are in there if the fluid leak hasn't ruined it in the first place.

As for the cocktail, I've never been one to mix fluids aside from adding a additive that is meant to be added to a type of fluid. I have always been loyal to Castrol Fluids for the most part and BG additives as I have real world personal experience with these on my own personal cars and customer cars from daily drivers to 10 second drag racers.

Now to the reason why I read every page of this thread. I have a 2001 2.5rs that I swapped a version 2 STI drivetrain into. As far as I know the 5 speed in my car is very similar to the USDM wrx 5 speeds so I've hoping that the feedback I am reading on here will be similar to my own situation. When I did the swap I installed Castrol 75-90 mainly because I had it on hand and it's what I've been using in most of my manual transmissions for years. Right off the bat I noticed when cold that going into 2nd was not the easiest thing. When it warmed up no problem. Now I would expect this in a colder climate, I now live in Florida so when I say cold sometimes it's 90 degrees outside. Only after the fluid has circulated and heated up from driving would it shift well. Now the strange thing is it has gotten better with mileage but still not great. I have about 6000 miles on the fluid but they are hard miles. The wife and I rallycross and autocross the car at least once a month. Shifting could be better in those situations but I must say the last rallycross it felt better than when the fluid was new. Downshifts into 1st were fairly easily made and high rpm shifts were a lot more solid than previous events.

Amsoil is one brand I have always had good luck with in customer cars but never really used it in my own vehicles. I didn't find my information in this thread about it until the last few pages. I know 06wrx4me used SVG in his cocktail and that there had been poor experience with straight sever gear. My main question is why hasn't anyone tried straight MTG? After all from what I can find it is severe gear with additives for synchros to help with shifting like what we are experiencing. After reading through this thread I searched high and low in the Tampa area and couldn't find an Amsoil dealer that had the actual MTG, everyone just stocks the Severe Gear and uses that. I had to head out to Orlando to pick up the Z32 transmission conversion parts for th Wifes S14 and Luckily I found a place in Orlando that stocked it and picked up 7 quarts of the MTG and one of the Severe Gear for my diff. I will be installing this in my car this weekend and also installed it in the Z32 transmission. The Z32 transmission is brand new out of the box from Nissan so I don't have anything compare with that but we do have an autocross session on the 25th so I will be able to put the MTG to the test. I may grab a sample from the Castrol and have it tested just for giggles but I have no idea what was in it from Japan. What I drained out when I got the clip looked to be in very good shape which made me feel better about the person that owned the car before as the rest of the car showed maintenance work as well.

I will let you guys know how the MTG compares and if it helps or hurts my situation. I'm hoping the thinner visc. when cold will help. Again Awesome thread with some really great information. I always like to see hard evidence and personal experience over hear say. There are too many people with opinions on something they have no personal experience with.

Double post
    Last edited by thedarkchiken; 10-16-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Double post

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi OK great let us know. Be aware of how it ages too as done have reported great initial feel with some oils but they won't hold up over time. Good luck hope it works for you.