>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 24
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Found this roll pin stuck to the magnetic drain plug. Being I just had the tranny rebuilt, I guess you ...

Just changed my tranny fluid... Should I be worried? lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whoa.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	101893

Found this roll pin stuck to the magnetic drain plug. Being I just had the tranny rebuilt, I guess you could say I was surprised. Any thoughts on what this is and where it came from? The thing is the car runs and shifts perfectly, with no strange noises. I hope it was just FOD (foreign object debris) from the reassembly. I hope i don't have to have the car torn apart again. I just got it back after two months

P.S. I'd say it looks like a shift fork roll pin, but if that was the case, I wouldn't be able to shift...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    scary.....
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Ironically on the Ducati Site I troll it is becoming common for 749 and 999 owners to experience the same thing, except it is a needle bearing not a roll pin.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I would contact your builder asap. Then Let us know what it ends up being. Good luck kind sir.
    Going From a RX-7 to a WRX is like going from Purgatory to Heaven

So the pin turned out to be debris dropped by the builder. However the tranny was still leaking at the axle seals. Geniuses never replaced those. But it's fixed now.

I'm running 1qt of Motul 300 and the rest shockproof. I also added 2oz of Redline Friction Modifier. It really smooth things out with the clutch type front LSD. Running very smooth and strong now.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I picked up a 2008 WRX recently and I'm just shy of 33k miles. I'm gonna be doing my 30k mile maintenance this weekend and am wondering what type of oil I should use. I was gonna go with Redline, I've used this in my motorcycle before and it worked great, never put it in a car though... honestly I never had a car worth putting Redline in. I've been reading about Uncle Scotty's Cocktail, most posts on that seem to be geared to older model WRX's than mine though. And lastly Extra S, I can't find this by the quart here, but my local dealer has this, although the service guy there seemed like he didn't really want to sell me it since I wasn't having the service done at their shop. Any input what brand or mix I should go with?

Jason

P.S. I live in the Denver area by the way.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonR54 View Post
    I picked up a 2008 WRX recently and I'm just shy of 33k miles. I'm gonna be doing my 30k mile maintenance this weekend and am wondering what type of oil I should use. I was gonna go with Redline, I've used this in my motorcycle before and it worked great, never put it in a car though... honestly I never had a car worth putting Redline in. I've been reading about Uncle Scotty's Cocktail, most posts on that seem to be geared to older model WRX's than mine though. And lastly Extra S, I can't find this by the quart here, but my local dealer has this, although the service guy there seemed like he didn't really want to sell me it since I wasn't having the service done at their shop. Any input what brand or mix I should go with?

Jason

P.S. I live in the Denver area by the way.
    Now at page 24 we have come to some conclusions:

* We've decided Uncle Scotty's cocktail shifts nice for a while but breaks down really fast and needs really short change intervals.
    --Also don't think syncromesh needs to be in the blend
    --There is also concern it may cause extra wear

* Redline Lightweight Shockproof works well in the 5MT but not the STI trans (slinger lubrication versus pump)
    --Seems to work just as well straight as mixed

* Straight Severe Gear 75w90 from Amsoil is not good in cold weather, but works well when mixed with shockproof

* SD_GR still loves his Valvoline conventional 75w90

* Subaru Extra S is the greatest gear oil to put in a stock Subaru
    --It works well for a long time, shifts great, but is not sold in the quart. Its sold in the 5 gal drum, but many Subi tuners and dealer have it

FWIW Redline 75w90NS is what you'd run in the 5MT, but in non-mixed form it hasn't netted near the result of the Extra-S. Don't use MT90.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks for summing this up for me. Am I fine with using this for my differentials as well, or is there a superior product for that?

I Support ClubWRX
    Aren't the 2008 differentials open all around? If so I'd imagine your goal would be minimizing wear, as I can't see how an oil would appreciably affect behavior -- there would be no noise or binding anyway I don't think? Somebody correct me?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So what the hell should I use in my STI???

I'm actually coming up on needing a tranny fluid change pretty bad....so figured I'd ask.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Apparently not Redline LWS. I'd ask your dealer what they use, and go either that way or use Extra-S.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonR54 View Post
    Thanks for summing this up for me. Am I fine with using this for my differentials as well, or is there a superior product for that?
    The rear diffs aren't partial really unless you have an sti, so any (even conventional) GL5 75w90 is fine. I used Extra-s in mine the last couple changes.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Aren't the 2008 differentials open all around? If so I'd imagine your goal would be minimizing wear, as I can't see how an oil would appreciably affect behavior -- there would be no noise or binding anyway I don't think? Somebody correct me?
    I believe you are correct in the 08's being open all around in WRX trim. They solved the traction equation with fancy monkey motion ballet of traction control and abs modulation. Not sure about 09+ since the minor redesign for 09.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    So what the hell should I use in my STI???

I'm actually coming up on needing a tranny fluid change pretty bad....so figured I'd ask.
    Extra-s will be fine.

Apparently not Redline LWS. I'd ask your dealer what they use, and go either that way or use Extra-S.
    Yeah apparently Redline LWS when I spoke to the redline lubrication engineer, has friction modifiers or something in it that can clog the pump type lubrication on the sti tranny's. I had also heard that STI tranny lubrication pump design has changed to a different type since its inception here, although not having an sti, I have no idea when or why.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Now at page 24 we have come to some conclusions:

* We've decided Uncle Scotty's cocktail shifts nice for a while but breaks down really fast and needs really short change intervals.
    --Also don't think syncromesh needs to be in the blend
    --There is also concern it may cause extra wear

* Redline Lightweight Shockproof works well in the 5MT but not the STI trans (slinger lubrication versus pump)
    --Seems to work just as well straight as mixed

* Straight Severe Gear 75w90 from Amsoil is not good in cold weather, but works well when mixed with shockproof

* SD_GR still loves his Valvoline conventional 75w90

* Subaru Extra S is the greatest gear oil to put in a stock Subaru
    --It works well for a long time, shifts great, but is not sold in the quart. Its sold in the 5 gal drum, but many Subi tuners and dealer have it

FWIW Redline 75w90NS is what you'd run in the 5MT, but in non-mixed form it hasn't netted near the result of the Extra-S. Don't use MT90.
    Rep for that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	102325

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Human Body is 37* or 98.6F. Officially a fever is 38* Or 100.3F
    37 C is ideal for E. coli growth is how I remember it - they don't mind 38 C or 40 C for that matter.

I just think of it as 40 = hot, 20 = just right, 0 = cold.

In my 02 5spd I use Valvoline regular 75W-90, and I have not noticed much difference throughout the oil change interval. I'm down south but the car will occasionally see temps below 5C, and it's not brilliant until it warms up at those temps but then again nothing would be.
    +100, and I am not in a "southern" climate.

Oh and I go the full 30.000 intervals by the book on Valvoline.
    +100. They could probably go twice that if we had the data.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    37 C is ideal for E. coli growth is how I remember it - they don't mind 38 C or 40 C for that matter.
    If my temp is above 37 I am looking for the nearest aspirin -- that's how I roll.

I just think of it as 40 = hot, 20 = just right, 0 = cold.
    That does work for humans, but not our laundry. I was washing some shirts yesterday and dutifully checked the labels, and they said "HOT - 50C"

Has anybody tried the synthetic Valvoline 75W-90 vs. the regular (grey vs. white bottle)?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If my temp is above 37 I am looking for the nearest aspirin -- that's how I roll.

That does work for humans, but not our laundry. I was washing some shirts yesterday and dutifully checked the labels, and they said "HOT - 50C"

Has anybody tried the synthetic Valvoline 75W-90 vs. the regular (grey vs. white bottle)?
    I'm there right now. I'm not sure if the virus is more afraid of my fever or the martinis, but an aspirin would be a bad idea given the latter. Funny because I will have salicylic acid in my lecture Mon. Morphine is in it as well, but I won't go to a doctor so I can't have that.

I have only used the white bottles, but have used the synth for motors. I prefer it to mobile 1 but for no founded reason.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.