>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 23
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got my car back after a major tranny repair (bent shift fork resulting in additional problems). The rebuild is ...

Just got my car back after a major tranny repair (bent shift fork resulting in additional problems). The rebuild is running just regular NAPA type gear oil for break in. That's all well and good and shifting fine, but the car wasn't driving right. Lot's of shudder and noise on low speed turns. My thought was the new Cusco RS front LSD was locking up too much and causing the tires to skip. So I added a half bottle of GM friction modifier I had lying around from a rear diff oil change on my GTO from a couple years ago and WOW! Car drives perfect with tons of new grip with the LSD. I guess adding the LSD to the 5MT moved the maintenance requirements to the same as the 6MT.

I'm going back to the recommended mix for a PPG box, 3 qts LW Shockproof and 1 qt Motul 300. I presume the Motul will act as the friction modifier for the LSD.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    who recommends that? PPG or Andrewtech?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Andrewtech. I've been using it for the last couple years with good results.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    Just curious. If I don't get any improvement with the Extra S I'm putting in tomorrow, I might think about that.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235 View Post
    Do you really need to change trany fluid that often?
    I am sure it won't hurt, but can you do 30K at least on Extra-s?
    I find my tranny starts getting quirky and ornery if I don't change it every 15k miles.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    In my 02 5spd I use Valvoline regular 75W-90, and I have not noticed much difference throughout the oil change interval. I'm down south but the car will occasionally see temps below 5C, and it's not brilliant until it warms up at those temps but then again nothing would be.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Spiros... I use Celsius in the medical field... and I still have to pull it up every time you reference it
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Human body temp is roughly 36,8C or so with anything below 35C considered hypothermia and anything above low 37Cish in adults a fever, but that's another story.

SoCal is actually a more challenging environment than one might think. I know you've lived here so you too know day temps can exceed 40C in summer and night temps can drop below 0C in winter. In fact it's possible to go from 30C to below 0C in the same day, as I did visiting relatives in the mountains from my house at sea level. It's amazing to me that regular Valvoline works as well as it does with the temp extremes possible, but it does.

I'm due for a change but will just put more of the stuff in. For a splash system like the 5 SPD it's hard for me to justify additional expense since the stuff just works. If I had a pumping system like the 6 SPD I would look for ExtraS though.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh and I go the full 30.000 intervals by the book on Valvoline.

I Support ClubWRX
    Human Body is 37* or 98.6F. Officially a fever is 38* Or 100.3F
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Well as luck would have it, I'll be changing my tranny fluid this weekend. Straight Amsoil SVG 75w90.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Well I thought I'd chime in for Motul. I changed the tranny and diff to Motul(I got it at cost so I figured why not try it.) after I bought the car (45k miles) and I think it made a heck off a difference. It seems like it wants to go into gear much easier now, especially 1st. I don't know what fluid was in it, but it was clean haha.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Well as luck would have it, I'll be changing my tranny fluid this weekend. Straight Amsoil SVG 75w90.
    Let us know how it works out for you, as above, I had a horrible experience with it. Don't know what kind of difference could exist between the two aside from maybe climate, but still it would be nice to know how others feel about it.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Let us know how it works out for you, as above, I had a horrible experience with it. Don't know what kind of difference could exist between the two aside from maybe climate, but still it would be nice to know how others feel about it.
    You used the 75w90 or 75w140 Amsoil SVG?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I have decided to leave the Extra -S in for 30 k miles this time, so I will not be changing tranny fluid for another 15k miles or so. I'm takin the Amsoil back.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE