>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 22
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Aside from peanut butter or corn alcohol the rear diff can run pretty much anything. As Big Sky says, no ...

Aside from peanut butter or corn alcohol the rear diff can run pretty much anything. As Big Sky says, no need to put Extra S in there.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks.

And if I read correctly, if I can't get the extra-s for a decent price, valvoline would work almost as good?

Yup, any 75w90 (synthetic preferred) will do the trick; not sure what the capacity is on the '09 but it's likely less than 1L.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

+1

It's a closed rear diff for the WRX, so doesn't matter the oil, as long as you meet the specs. Extra S is fine. I used Mobil 1 with good results too. Just remember to always take the fill plug out first when changing the rear diff oil. Why? You don't want to drain the oil only to find you can't get the fill plug out afterwards (lol).
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Hey I'm new on this forum, but my respect for it.
    I would like to share my transmission story here.

I bought 02 bugeye from the first owner- 115k but in pretty good condition. After couple of months I've noticed periodic grinding when shifting from 3 to 4 gear. I never had any problems with my previous cars which all were manual 14 years in business. I decided to change gear oil. 75W-90 this is the spec which was required by manual. I bought mobil1 syn. and replaced. After around 6000 miles grinding started be annoying. When the tranny oil was cold or cool - local driving was fine no noise, but when it got hotter highway drive 20 min+ you would have to do double clutch gear change to change from 3 to 4, not even talking about first without stopping. Although transmission was faster during the winter and not so sluggish as before. Something wasn't right. I thought I f...d up my tranny. I talked with my friend who was in subarus for rhe long time. He recommended amsoil- if this won't help you, you will need to replace gear synchro or replace tranny said at least $1500

I read on this forum about different mixes and stuff. Uncle Sammy’s etc. I took advice from you guys and decided to go with superS from subaru. In my area fishkill ny Subaru dealer sells it for $8/qt.I Bought 4 quarts, replaced and after 4 days 800 miles no grinding, vibration, smooth shifting.

Honestly, I will recommend superS in yor tanny all the time. Don't get me wrong transmission is the weakest point of wrx'es. After 140k my tranny runs strong. My car is stock but i understand people who have more hp. I plan to add some soon More hp and your tranny definitely will not handle the load. It suck's that subaru released wrx'es with so weak tranny. Oh well 'got to live it'.

O hope that my opinion will help somebody Very good post!

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    +1

It's a closed rear diff for the WRX, so doesn't matter the oil, as long as you meet the specs. Extra S is fine. I used Mobil 1 with good results too. Just remember to always take the fill plug out first when changing the rear diff oil. Why? You don't want to drain the oil only to find you can't get the fill plug out afterwards (lol).
    Little late, but that's good practice also because it helps the fluid flow out better.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by kilar View Post
    In my area fishkill ny Subaru dealer sells it for $8/qt.I Bought 4 quarts, replaced and after 4 days 800 miles no grinding, vibration, smooth shifting.
    My dealer has never heard of it. Do you have a part number? For sale online maybe?
    2006 WRX
    Opensource STG 2, Epic Engineering
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #032

http://s258.photobucket.com/home/joesubaru7/index
    DD: 2001 2.5RS
    Old: 1998 2.5RS [url]

part # SOA635001 Gear Oil. You just need to bring your own container. I couldn't find it online.

Well bring this thread back alive. I have some blackstone results for you all if you care to look at them. One is for the redline mix and then the SVG mix. Both mixes showed high iron though, which leads me to believe that a mix just wont work. If you had to do a mix though the svg and redline LW shockproof proved to be better than the LW shockproof and Redline NS mix surprisingly. Right now I am on teh Extra S (6K on it) and will swap it out at 20K do a test and see where the results all shake out, so check back in about a year and I will have the final results.

By sdh7711 at 2011-11-06

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks very much for the data! Truly useful post.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice post indeed.

I don't have data like that, unfortunately, but I can now sum up my Amsoil experience as I've now switched to Motul Gear 300 75W90 synthetic. The difference shifting wise is night and day. There is still a little bit of notchiness in cold shifting, but not nearly as bad as with the Amsoil. My experiences with Amsoil were poor, at best, from brand new to removal. When cold, I was regularly locked out of second gear at normal shifting RPM's and intervals. Having to drive in 1st gear until 4000 RPMS, or wait until the car slowed down to 10MPH, causing a bogging effect when cold, I could justify keeping this fluid through winter.

Motul has brought back smooth shifting when warm, no more locking out of second gear, and minor notchiness when cold. Downshifting performance increased with smoother feel and quicker gear changes than Amsoil. In summation, I won't be using another Amsoil product in this car.

Best experience still remains Uncle Scotty's Cocktail, may return to that after I'm done with the Motul.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    thanks for posting that info, didn't even know that Blackstone did analysis on tranny fluid

<- not switching from Extra S anytime soon
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm still on Extra-s need to change it out though, it has about 16k on it. I noticed the price of SVG went up to $15 a qt, otherwise I was gonna stick with that.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I need your guys advice on what tranny fluid to put in...I have the OPPOSITE effect in my tranny then most of you...When cold my tranny shifts perfect, seems like the synchros are working great..the thicker viscosity helps my gears/sychros..then on the other hand...the minute the tranny warms up my synchros go to hell, sometimes i can't shift into 1st on a dead stop unless I rev-match it. I understand my sychros are going out...but what kinda OIL should i add to help ease the shift when warm? (By the way im running a 2002 WRX stock...with Subaru Extra S (5k miles since tranny oil change), & I live in southern Cali were its HOT!!!almost all year long)
    Last edited by jakkal256; 12-26-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I'm still on Extra-s need to change it out though, it has about 16k on it. I noticed the price of SVG went up to $15 a qt, otherwise I was gonna stick with that.
    Do you really need to change trany fluid that often?
    I am sure it won't hurt, but can you do 30K at least on Extra-s?