>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 21
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 i dont remember how much i paid for mine, i want to say 8 dollars a ...

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    i dont remember how much i paid for mine, i want to say 8 dollars a quart. plus no shipping charges
    cool man, thanks, I'll def give a try. I'll keep posted when done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    yup, that's what we're here for
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This is an excellent question to pose to Redline themselves. I'd contact customer service before using it. I do not know if any component has fallen out of solution or if any component is not stable long term. Since it was sealed I don't think moisture is a concern, but I have no idea what's in the oil -- Redline do though. You might even email if you don't want to call. Just a thought.

SD
    I got reply from RedLine earlier today, it is also relevant to gear box oil.
    When ask originally , I misnamed the type of oil under the question. That's why guy referring to GL-4. But actually I do have 75W90 Full synthetic which is GL-5.
    Unfortunately I sent e-mail from work, so I can't post my exact original questions, but I receive CC answers to my personal account.

Anyways here answer # 1

Yes, it would still work (you need to shake it up first), but MT-90 is the wrong
    gear oil for your Subaru. We don't suggest using products that old, as well.

You want our 75W90NS GL-5 for the transmission and our 75W90 GL-5 for the
    differential. The MT-90 is not for that car. Subaru wants GL-5 in the trans, not
    GL-4.

Hope that helps,

-------------------------------------------
    Next I kept conversation with the guy, about other oil types
    -----------------------------------------
    Answer # 2

Your email said MT-90. Drunk, maybe.

I see in the photos, 75W90. Again, that's OLD stuff but should be okay if you shake it.

----------------------------------------

Answer #3

Sounds like you know, we don't recommend Shockproofs in the street cars. We know that Lightweight has worked for many in the 5-speed Subaru boxes, but be careful with the 6-speed STi box since it can get clogged.

We have to recommend what the factory wants but try to share the knowledge as much as possible.

I'm sticking with what Andrewtech recommends for the PPG gearbox... 1qt of Motul 300 and the rest LW Shockproof.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I'm sticking with what Andrewtech recommends for the PPG gearbox... 1qt of Motul 300 and the rest LW Shockproof.
    How long & many miles you already have on this mix as of now?
    Did you try solely LW Shockproof? You probably mention this somewhere in the thread but I don't remember. Thanks Pavia.

Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235 View Post
    How long & many miles you already have on this mix as of now?
    Did you try solely LW Shockproof? You probably mention this somewhere in the thread but I don't remember. Thanks Pavia.
    10k on the last fill. I've used all shockproof before with good results, but the Motul 300 helps out in colder weather.

If I had a stock tranny, I would just stick with the Extra-S.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    10k on the last fill. I've used all shockproof before with good results, but the Motul 300 helps out in colder weather.

If I had a stock tranny, I would just stick with the Extra-S.
    One of the dealer I pass show no interest to even talk about Extra S, forget about buying. I may try more places.
    I always have more luck buying from people who looking to sell, than when I come to people and offer to buy.
    So for me to get Motul 300 and LW Shockproof will be easy, online from dealers who looking to sell those products.
    Would Motul/LW shockproof suits stock transmission, the same way as it does to yours modified tranny? Why you suggest Extra S over the mix you using now?
    Alex

I Support ClubWRX
    A lot of dealerships don't know about Extra S. At least not the service desk people.

It's their synthetic transmission oil.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    A lot of dealerships don't know about Extra S. At least not the service desk people.

It's their synthetic transmission oil.
    I did ask the guy from parts dept, but yeah, I should've ask just for synthetic transmission oil, they may understand quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235 View Post
    One of the dealer I pass show no interest to even talk about Extra S, forget about buying. I may try more places.
    I always have more luck buying from people who looking to sell, than when I come to people and offer to buy.
    So for me to get Motul 300 and LW Shockproof will be easy, online from dealers who looking to sell those products.
    Would Motul/LW shockproof suits stock transmission, the same way as it does to yours modified tranny? Why you suggest Extra S over the mix you using now?
    Alex
    You could use it for a stock tranny, but I wouldn't for two reasons. One, Motul 300 is pretty pricey and I haven't found an online source that carries both (so you pay more handling costs ordering from two suppliers). Two, it's best to go with 10k mileage intervals on the Shockproof, as it breaks down quicker. This means more services.

The dealer stuff (Extra S), Valvoline, or any of the other stuff listed in this thread maybe a better route for stock trannies.

Got today 4 qt of Extra S from local cooperative dealer along with Fuji liquid bond for rear differential plug. Tomorrow drain both, tranny and rear diff old oil and will update in awhile how much difference I see after using all mighty Extra S in my manual gear box
    Last edited by nofear6235; 09-11-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks

I would just like to thank everyone for their time and effort in this thread. I spent days trying to figure out what to use and decided on the go extra s. It took away all notchyness in 4th and 5th and feels much better than when i bought it 2 months ago. Once again, THANKS a ton!

I should admit myself, I spent hours reading this thread and thanks for great write ups and answering all my question, I made correct decision.
    Replaced my stock tranny oil with Extra S and for past 1,5 month feeling noticable difference in shifting.
    When I have chance I'll post pictures I took that day, while working on oil swap, both tranny and rear differential.
    Someone mentioned before that it's possible (after swap to Extra S) to put 1 gear before the full stop, and yes, it is.

Alex

:Edit on 10/10/2010: >> Some pictures..
    last picture is for the rear differential stuff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Draining the tranny.jpg   Tranny plug dirty.jpg   metal shaving on plug.jpg   Ready to fill the tranny.jpg   Ready to fill the tranny2.jpg  

100_0097.jpg  
    Last edited by nofear6235; 10-10-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Coming up on 30k miles, and going to change the tran/rear diff fluid.

Will probably go with the extra-s for the tranny. Does the rear diff take the same stuff, or something different? That's the one thing I'm still a bit confused about.

Thanks.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    you can put extra-s in the rear diff, but I wouldn't- too spendy, just get something along the lines Mobil 1 75W90- save the extra-s for the tranny where you will notice a difference
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.