>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 20
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So it has been around another 15k miles. This time on the Subaru Extra S....and I like it just as ...

I Support ClubWRX

Update

So it has been around another 15k miles. This time on the Subaru Extra S....and I like it just as BIGSKY said I would. Seems to work just as well as any concoction I have tried thus far. Luckily my tuner sells it by the quart so I have an available source for it.

So if you want a good fluid that is factory warranty compatible, go with the Extra S.

If you can't get the Extra S, I still recommend the Amsoil syncromesh blend.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ good deal nice that you can find it by the quart, SOA would make some $ if they would package it by the quart
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    ^ good deal nice that you can find it by the quart, SOA would make some $ if they would package it by the quart
    true story
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine
    Great info, tons of interesting data.
    Any more updates for the last few month?
    I read every page of this thread, didn't skip a single one.
    I agree with people hence it's hard to make a decision on what gear oil to use in my 2006 Impreza.
    I have had great success with Red Line oil 75W90 NS in my 1987 heavy modified Toyota Supra for over 10 years, but seems it's not a good choice for 5 speed WRX.
    What I gather from here and made decision for myself, unless some one update the thread after my posting with more data:
    Choice # 1 Subaru extra S (any one has 4 quarts to sell, or point reliable place were I can order, I try not to buy whole drum?)
    I am in North Jersey.
    Choice # 2 Motul 300
    Choice # 3 Redline Lightweight Shockproof
    A little off topic, I have spare Red Line 75W90 full syntetic and it 10 y old, never open, I will use for rear differential. I belive closed quart of oil will not degrade during this time on the shelf in my garage. We shell see

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235 View Post
    I belive closed quart of oil will not degrade during this time on the shelf in my garage. We shell see
    This is an excellent question to pose to Redline themselves. I'd contact customer service before using it. I do not know if any component has fallen out of solution or if any component is not stable long term. Since it was sealed I don't think moisture is a concern, but I have no idea what's in the oil -- Redline do though. You might even email if you don't want to call. Just a thought.

SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This is an excellent question to pose to Redline themselves. I'd contact customer service before using it. I do not know if any component has fallen out of solution or if any component is not stable long term. Since it was sealed I don't think moisture is a concern, but I have no idea what's in the oil -- Redline do though. You might even email if you don't want to call. Just a thought.

SD
    Thanks for reply and good suggestion SD (I hope I know your first name ).
    Yeah, I did sent them (Red Line Co. ) e-mail earlier today, no answer yet. If they do respond, I will post it here.
    Do you think my choices regarding trany oil are good? Or you would do different?
    Alex

I Support ClubWRX
    I've given up on oils fancier or rarer than plain-old Valvoline 75W-90. It's what my dealer used last I checked, from large drums bought in bulk. I'd use Extra S too. In fact my preferences would be Extra S, Valvoline regular, any other regular in that order I guess. My car shifts as well as it did when new as far as I can tell. I don't see any cold weather though so can't comment on winter.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My gearing box never been too friendly, even right after the first miles. Need to adjust rpm to do it smoothly, European double shift, lol, j/k.
    I imagine it is basic OEM oil there now, since it's been replace in the dealership in my absence. This time around I have chance to do it myself and hopefully put better stuff in there. Appreciate for sharing your thoughts SD. I may change my mind, he he and try.

+1 Extra-S

I went with the extra s in my tranny and redline 75/90 in my diff for my 09 WRX. It had 20k miles when I made the switch. Shifting into reverse is definitely better. 3rd still feels notchy but is improved. Can't notice any difference with the rear diff. Overall really happy with this setup, its been about 1k miles so far.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Thanks for update Jamie, were did you buy Extra S? Did you get in quarts?

Got it from Fred Beans. They have quarts and they shipped quick, 4 quarts was plenty.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Got it from Fred Beans. They have quarts and they shipped quick, 4 quarts was plenty.
    $12 each? Gotta look up his online store.

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    check out your local dealership, you can get it pretty cheap there too. You just need your own container.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    check out your local dealership, you can get it pretty cheap there too. You just need your own container.
    good idea, I'll do that, lets hope they won't complain about hazardous material, stuff like that, just to drag me in
    Last edited by nofear6235; 08-18-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    i dont remember how much i paid for mine, i want to say 8 dollars a quart. plus no shipping charges
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.