>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 18
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Donkey Unless your manual transmission has a filter in it of course those numbers are going to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Unless your manual transmission has a filter in it of course those numbers are going to be high. Unlike your engine or an automatic transmission there is no filter on a manual transmission. I would be looking more a shear weight. Also all these people make up these tranny concoctions seem to forget the two differentials in the transmission as well. Thats why you have to use a GL-5 rated gear oil. Just because USC makes your tranny "feel" better doesn't mean over the long run it could cause premature wear and damage to the differentials.
    The one thing with the Shockproof is you need to change it out more often. You shouldn't go over 15K miles if you have this in your tranny. But then again fluids are relatively cheap and it's plain easy to change the fluid (easier than an engine oil change), so it's not really an issue

My GTO has a T-56 manual tranny. The listed/required fluid for this is actually ATF fluid. But then, there is no diff in there...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrinklechops
    Unless your manual transmission has a filter in it of course those numbers are going to be high. Unlike your engine or an automatic transmission there is no filter on a manual transmission. I would be looking more a shear weight. Also all these people make up these tranny concoctions seem to forget the two differentials in the transmission as well. Thats why you have to use a GL-5 rated gear oil. Just because USC makes your tranny "feel" better doesn't mean over the long run it could cause premature wear and damage to the differentials.
    What tranny fluid do you like Donkey? What do you use? Extra S?

Quote Originally Posted by sdh7711 View Post
    Not to mention if he's having a grind in 5th, that is usually a mechanical problem/failure of some sort. I would seriously bring that into the dealer and if it's under warranty have them fix that before goign a fluid mixture route.
    sadly the transmission warranty was voided by the previous owner Im just looking for some solutions to make things a little bit smoother until I finaly go through with the STI 6MT swap

Quote Originally Posted by Mehdik View Post
    sadly the transmission warranty was voided by the previous owner Im just looking for some solutions to make things a little bit smoother until I finaly go through with the STI 6MT swap
    Was this told to you when you bought the car?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehdik View Post
    Well, why not one of the many c0cktails we have discussed in this thread? I'm currently on Uncle Scotty's C0cktail (via Grimmspeed) and it fixed my 3-4 gear grind. Something to consider...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    What tranny fluid do you like Donkey? What do you use? Extra S?
    I have used both the Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 and Valvoline Synpower 75W-90 with good results(currently using the Valvoline). Not saying others are not just as good. Any good GL-5 rated synthetic should be fine. I just suggest changing the transmission and rear differential fluid every 30K. I know the first time I change the tranny oil on my car when I first got it I found gear teeth in it!Oh well,90K miles later it still works.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I know the first time I change the tranny oil on my car when I first got it I found gear teeth in it!Oh well,90K miles later it still works.
    That's messed up dude!

Laughing with you, not at you... I can imagine the look on your face when you pulled the drain plug.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    That's messed up dude!

Laughing with you, not at you... I can imagine the look on your face when you pulled the drain plug.
    Haha,yeah I bought the car used so I was expecting something at some point.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

today i installed kartboy front and rear bushings, and changed the tranny oil/rear diff oil...

boy does she shift like butter now! still not like my old hondas but so much better than stock.

used the redline lightweight + amsol heavy in the tranny, and redline lightweight in the rear diff.

cant wait for some miles to be put on her and see if it gets even smoother.

Thanks for all the info in this post, made me love my wrx that much more.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekks View Post
    today i installed kartboy front and rear bushings, and changed the tranny oil/rear diff oil...

boy does she shift like butter now! still not like my old hondas but so much better than stock.

used the redline lightweight + amsol heavy in the tranny, and redline lightweight in the rear diff.

cant wait for some miles to be put on her and see if it gets even smoother.

Thanks for all the info in this post, made me love my wrx that much more.
    Right on man, I'm glad I convinced you to get those bushings. What made you go with the Kartboys over the Cobb though?

Right on man, I'm glad I convinced you to get those bushings. What made you go with the Kartboys over the Cobb though?
    Flatirons was out of cobbs, so they emailed me and asked if kartboys where ok. not really sure if there is a diff other than color... either way im happy. it does not feel like im mixing pancake batter anymore while i shift!

now if i could find a shop local that would install my upipe/downpipe/catback and not cry about it being a turbo car, or removing cats. (would do it myself but the only garage i have to use is my girls moms.. has like 0 room to move in there and is about a hr away.)

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekks View Post
    Flatirons was out of cobbs, so they emailed me and asked if kartboys where ok. not really sure if there is a diff other than color... either way im happy. it does not feel like im mixing pancake batter anymore while i shift!

now if i could find a shop local that would install my upipe/downpipe/catback and not cry about it being a turbo car, or removing cats. (would do it myself but the only garage i have to use is my girls moms.. has like 0 room to move in there and is about a hr away.)
    Right on.

As for the uppipe, that would probably be the only PITA part of the install. I've done all three of those exhaust parts and by far the uppipe is more difficult than the downpipe or catback for sure, but it's really not too bad. If you study the instructions really well and have all the tools ready, etc, you could probably knock out that whole job in a few hours. Especially if you have some help. Find an old blanket, drive up on it outside, then jack the car up and get to work

Right on.

As for the uppipe, that would probably be the only PITA part of the install. I've done all three of those exhaust parts and by far the uppipe is more difficult than the downpipe or catback for sure, but it's really not too bad. If you study the instructions really well and have all the tools ready, etc, you could probably knock out that whole job in a few hours. Especially if you have some help. Find an old blanket, drive up on it outside, then jack the car up and get to work

sounds easy and i know i could do it... but this car has been in upstate NY her hole life and yea. def not like colorado.

2 days ago i started a pad/rotor change, ended up snapping 3 bolts and 4 ceased slider pins. snapped bolts stuck in the bracket ect.. had to wait till today for parts to come in to get her back togher.

i would much rather pay a shop to do the install and not have to worry about it.

now if i had my own garage it would be diffrent but meh.

anyways back to topic

So after reading this whole thread I have come up with 5 million different combinations for tranny fluid. I think I am more confused now than I was before lol!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    So after reading this whole thread I have come up with 5 million different combinations for tranny fluid. I think I am more confused now than I was before lol!
    imho, find some oem extra-s or w/e that subaru stuff is called.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.