>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 16
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Subscribed. I love this thread. My own info: Stock tranny fluid (I'm assuming) from date of purchase with 27k miles ...

Wrinklechops
    Subscribed. I love this thread.

My own info:

Stock tranny fluid (I'm assuming) from date of purchase with 27k miles until about 50k when I changed it to full Redline 75W90 synthetic. Before I changed, I had a really rough 3-4 gear engagement...figured my syncros were going out.... so I just tried to tough it out and ignore it.

Then I did a lot of reading on USC over at NASIOC and thought I'd give it a try. Grimmspeed sells the whole ****tail as a kit so you don't have to run around trying to buy them individually.

Changed to the USC a few weeks ago and I am not joking... 3-4 gear grind is GONE! I was sooooo happy! I have been living without a solid 4th gear pretty much ever since I owned the thing (thanks previous owner!) and now 4th gear is back like a long lost friend! I couldn't believe it.

Something I did do though, not sure if anyone here has tried it (haven't read the whole thread yet).... I got a hold of some of Seafoam's Trans Tune and dumped that in the tranny, went for a spin (they recommend about 5 miles, making sure to shift into every gear) then came back and drained it. I also made sure to clean the drain plug really well as it was awfully gunked up with metal shavings (probably not good, I know).

So I don't know what one thing helped the most, or if it was a combination of those three things, but I am glad to have my transmission back!

My conclusion is that the Redline fluid was junk, even with less than 15k on it - the USC is the shiz - the drain plug needed some attention - the Seafoam really helped clean some of the crap out from the tranny and take it with it during the drain - or a combination of all these things.

Just wanted to add that and bump and awesome thread.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Something I did do though, not sure if anyone here has tried it (haven't read the whole thread yet).... I got a hold of some of Seafoam's Trans Tune and dumped that in the tranny, went for a spin
    Uhhmm.....I'm assuming you didn't bother to read the can.Trans Tune is designed for automatic trannys and power steering systems/hydraulic sytems.It is not made for manual transmissions.The Transtune is probably breaking down your manual transmission gear oil as we speak.

For Automatic Transmissions, Power Steering
    Systems and Industrial or Agricultural Hydraulic Systems

Trans Tune - Sea Foam
    Last edited by Donkey; 07-11-2009 at 06:54 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I also made sure to clean the drain plug really well as it was awfully gunked up with metal shavings (probably not good, I know).
    A small amount of fine metal residue on the drainplug is normal. As long as you don't see any chunks, your good to go...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Uhhmm.....I'm assuming you didn't bother to read the can.Trans Tune is designed for automatic trannys and power steering systems/hydraulic sytems.It is not made for manual transmissions.The Transtune is probably breaking down your manual transmission gear oil as we speak.

For Automatic Transmissions, Power Steering
    Systems and Industrial or Agricultural Hydraulic Systems

Trans Tune - Sea Foam
    Granted it's unnecessary, but I read the link and it states that it does not alter the viscosity or properties of your fluid in anyway. It shouldn't hurt his fluid, especially since he drained and refilled after he used the seafoam.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Granted it's unnecessary, but I read the link and it states that it does not alter the viscosity or properties of your fluid in anyway. It shouldn't hurt his fluid, especially since he drained and refilled after he used the seafoam.
    Exactly. I know it's for automatics Donkey, but I read about a lot of people's success when using it to flush out the transmission... I also made sure to let it drain overnight so as to try and get as much out as possible without doing 3 drain and fills.

Subscribed. I love this thread.

My own info:

Stock tranny fluid (I'm assuming) from date of purchase with 27k miles until about 50k when I changed it to full Redline 75W90 synthetic. Before I changed, I had a really rough 3-4 gear engagement...figured my syncros were going out.... so I just tried to tough it out and ignore it.

Then I did a lot of reading on USC over at NASIOC and thought I'd give it a try. Grimmspeed sells the whole ****tail as a kit so you don't have to run around trying to buy them individually.

Changed to the USC a few weeks ago and I am not joking... 3-4 gear grind is GONE! I was sooooo happy! I have been living without a solid 4th gear pretty much ever since I owned the thing (thanks previous owner!) and now 4th gear is back like a long lost friend! I couldn't believe it.

Something I did do though, not sure if anyone here has tried it (haven't read the whole thread yet).... I got a hold of some of Seafoam's Trans Tune and dumped that in the tranny, went for a spin (they recommend about 5 miles, making sure to shift into every gear) then came back and drained it. I also made sure to clean the drain plug really well as it was awfully gunked up with metal shavings (probably not good, I know).

So I don't know what one thing helped the most, or if it was a combination of those three things, but I am glad to have my transmission back!

My conclusion is that the Redline fluid was junk, even with less than 15k on it - the USC is the shiz - the drain plug needed some attention - the Seafoam really helped clean some of the crap out from the tranny and take it with it during the drain - or a combination of all these things.

Just wanted to add that and bump and awesome thread.
    The USC that contains syncromesh fluid has been shown in UOA's to be bad for the synchros, hasn't it? I had it in my car before as well; it was like shifting in melted butter, but I didn't want to risk ruining my synchros.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

I ran the USC for 10k miles and gears and synchos looked brand new. If you want pics just ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I ran the USC for 10k miles and gears and synchos looked brand new. If you want pics just ask...
    I have no doubt you and probably many others have had success with the USC. However, others have seen synchro wear show up on their UOAs, and the consensus is that it is the syncromesh component that is responsible for it. My tuner has stopped putting syncromesh in ****tails in cars that come through his way.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by koogxone View Post
    I have no doubt you and probably many others have had success with the USC. However, others have seen synchro wear show up on their UOAs, and the consensus is that it is the syncromesh component that is responsible for it. My tuner has stopped putting syncromesh in ****tails in cars that come through his way.
    What do you or did you end up using instead then? A different ****tail?

What do you or did you end up using instead then? A different ****tail?
    I love how that word is censored we seriously have to get that off the damn swear filter. It's used more in terms like the cawktail than in others.

My tuner currently offers a different ****tail that has no syncromesh in it, but I wasn't around the area when I got my clutch replaced so I just put in some Valvoline synthetic for the time being. It actually feels okay but I'd rather have a ****tail (sans syncromesh) or Extra-S in there.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126

Arrow All Fluids

Could someone point me in the right direction i just realized i may need to change all my fluids but i dont even know where to start i just bought my 04 STI about a month ago and do very much want to change all my fluids i know what kind of motor oil to run but as far as every thing else goes i would like some advice on. Thanks whom ever decides to through a little advice my way

Quote Originally Posted by luke31516 View Post
    Could someone point me in the right direction i just realized i may need to change all my fluids but i dont even know where to start i just bought my 04 STI about a month ago and do very much want to change all my fluids i know what kind of motor oil to run but as far as every thing else goes i would like some advice on. Thanks whom ever decides to through a little advice my way
    Engine: synthetic (mobil 1, castol syntec, etc) plus new filter.

Tranny: STi's aren't too picky. Subaru Extra S, Mobil 1, Redline are all good.

Rear diff: Subaru LSD fluid, Mobil 1 w/ a friction modifer.

Brake fluid: Super Blue or Motul

I just went with 1qt of Motul 300 and 2qts of Redline LW Shockproof. Best shifting I've seen so far compared to the previous fluids I've used. Recommended by Andrewtech for the PPGs. Seems like a good mix.

well my new (used) 02 wrx shifts like garbage, it has 115k miles and sat for awhile so i ordered

2 qts redline LW Shockproof
    3 qts of Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90

going to do the tranny and rear diff. lets hope it feels better. my girl cant even drive it.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekks View Post
    well my new (used) 02 wrx shifts like garbage, it has 115k miles and sat for awhile so i ordered

2 qts redline LW Shockproof
    3 qts of Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90

going to do the tranny and rear diff. lets hope it feels better. my girl cant even drive it.
    So what you're saying is, your girl knows how to drive better than you? JUST KIDDING lol let us know if that combo works man! I'm thinking about ditching my USC ****tail after all the horrible crap I'm reading about it.... even though it fixed my 3-4 gear grind that I had for over a year (full Redline 75w90 didn't cure it).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.