>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 15
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 398

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I changed to Subaru Extra S today. Took a sample and will send it off to blackstone....

  1. #211
    Resident meany-rator 06wrx4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    11,489
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well I changed to Subaru Extra S today. Took a sample and will send it off to blackstone.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

    06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

    COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #212
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX
    what did you have in prior? how long?
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

  4. #213
    Resident meany-rator 06wrx4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    11,489
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    what did you have in prior? how long?

    I had in a mixture of amsoil SVG and Redline Lightweight shockproof. It was in for a little over a year and about 15,000 miles. Was still working properly and shifting smooth with no noise, just changed as a yealry maintenance.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

    06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

    COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

  5. #214
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    FWIW, since I just upgraded to PPGs, I'd thought I'd give a few words on the condition of the stock gears.

    The history of the tranny is that I ran ~10K miles on the factory fill (no problems), then I switched to the traditional USC. I ran that for another 10K miles (no problems). At 20K miles I switched to Subaru Extra S and ran that for ~3K miles (also with no problems).

    At 23K total miles, my tranny was disassembled for a PPG gear upgrade.

    The condition of the stock gears and syncros (actually, every stock part for that matter) was in "As-new" condition. I saw little-to-no wear anywhere on the gearset.

    Also, as expected with 3 fills in 23K miles, there was little-to-no sludge in the case.

    Even running the 5 speed with 300+whp, the gears still looked new. My stock clutch, however, was near death.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

  6. #215
    Registered User koogxone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Best Coast
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I had in a mixture of amsoil SVG and Redline Lightweight shockproof. It was in for a little over a year and about 15,000 miles. Was still working properly and shifting smooth with no noise, just changed as a yealry maintenance.
    Is the Amsoil SVG the Severe Gear Synthetic EP 75w-90?
    and it was 2 quarts SVG and 1.7 LW shockproof, correct?
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

  7. #216
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    23

    iron in your oil analysis

    Hey 06wrx4me this is an excellent thread full of info. I'm somewat of a new member here but i noticed something.

    In your oil analysis it said that you have high levels of iron in it right? Did you also say you used amsoil's 75w90 severe gear oil? I just took a look at the amsoil site and it says "The proprietary AMSOIL additives form an iron-sulfide barrier coating on gear surfaces, providing the ultimate line of defense against wear, pitting and scoring." I don't think it's your transmission disolving but more like amsoil's oil. If that's true then I think it's safe to run the redline shockproof and amsoil and no harm should come to your trans.

    I've got a new 09 wrx with only 48 miles and I was thinking that I should swap out the factory gear oil with the amsoil and redline shockproof at 5000 miles or is that too long? Should I change it out sooner to get all the metallic debris out?

  8. #217
    Resident meany-rator 06wrx4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    11,489
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo flat4 View Post
    Hey 06wrx4me this is an excellent thread full of info. I'm somewat of a new member here but i noticed something.

    In your oil analysis it said that you have high levels of iron in it right? Did you also say you used amsoil's 75w90 severe gear oil? I just took a look at the amsoil site and it says "The proprietary AMSOIL additives form an iron-sulfide barrier coating on gear surfaces, providing the ultimate line of defense against wear, pitting and scoring." I don't think it's your transmission disolving but more like amsoil's oil. If that's true then I think it's safe to run the redline shockproof and amsoil and no harm should come to your trans.

    I've got a new 09 wrx with only 48 miles and I was thinking that I should swap out the factory gear oil with the amsoil and redline shockproof at 5000 miles or is that too long? Should I change it out sooner to get all the metallic debris out?
    Howdy-

    I swapped the fluid out in my wrx to help with the choppy shifting that plagued the older models, and coupled with upgraded bushings, it helped things a lot. I know there were a few changes to the 08-09 transmission, so I'm not sure if the oiling system was altered. I know in the sti's the Shockproof supposedly clogs the transmission oil pump. Since you are under factory warranty, I would either swap in straight Amsoil SVG if you felt a need to change, or the Subaru Extra S. The smurf blood blue color of the shockproof is a dead giveaway that you have done something to the tranny.

    FWIW I am running the Subaru Extra S right now, and it is almost as good as the Shockproof/AMsoil mix. I get slightly more tranny noise, but engagements are fine.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

    06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

    COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

  9. #218
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX
    with a new car (and it's warranty) Extra S is the only thing I'd consider- it works AND it's warranty friendly
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

  10. #219
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    23
    Haha I was thinking about getting the 5 gallon drum of Extra S but where would I put it? My garage is kind of a mess but that's a problem for me to solve.

    I was wondering if it would be fine to leave the factory gear oil in the trans because of the thread that had data where a lot of cars had blew their trans because of factory gear oil. Of course that thread didn't explain how they drove, weather conditions, maintenance schedules, etc. Also not everyone participated, but still I am concerned about my tranny's longevity. I plan to run the car for a long time. I also think that Pavia said that his rear differential was black by 8k-9k miles. That's another reason that I want to change out the gear oils in both the trans and rear diff sooner than later. How many miles do you suggest I swap out the factory gear oils?

    Extra S if I can get it, Amsoil 75w90 SVG if I can't. Thanks for your help!!

    John

  11. #220
    Registered User koogxone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Best Coast
    Posts
    0
    Recently threw in Valvoline synthetic when I replaced my clutch and it feels good. I got it because I could not get Redline or Amsoil locally, but it turned out okay.

    turbo flat4, turninconcepts used to sell Extra-S in their own little quart bottles, but at an extremely high price. They attributed the price markup to packaging costs and labor or whatever, but it was still ridiculous. I don't know if they still sell it but maybe you should take that into consideration if you're looking for a normal amount of Extra-S.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

  12. #221
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo flat4 View Post
    Haha I was thinking about getting the 5 gallon drum of Extra S but where would I put it? My garage is kind of a mess but that's a problem for me to solve.

    I was wondering if it would be fine to leave the factory gear oil in the trans because of the thread that had data where a lot of cars had blew their trans because of factory gear oil. Of course that thread didn't explain how they drove, weather conditions, maintenance schedules, etc. Also not everyone participated, but still I am concerned about my tranny's longevity. I plan to run the car for a long time. I also think that Pavia said that his rear differential was black by 8k-9k miles. That's another reason that I want to change out the gear oils in both the trans and rear diff sooner than later. How many miles do you suggest I swap out the factory gear oils?

    Extra S if I can get it, Amsoil 75w90 SVG if I can't. Thanks for your help!!

    John
    Black oil means that the oil is doing it's job of suspending particles rather than allowing them to grind away at your internals. So it's not necessarily a bad thing.

    At any rate, as far as intervals go, it depends on how hard you drive the car. I've done mine at the 30,000 recommended by the factory. It's a daily driver with a max of 10 track day/auto-X events per year. The power levels I've run are stock (60,000 miles) and stage 2 (20,000 miles). That's my experience. Other people'es may differ.
    2005 WRX Wagon - Silver

  13. #222
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    23
    Yeah I saw the turninconcepts thing but that's too expensive. I'd rather buy the 5 gallon pail and find a place to keep it in my garage.

    Perhaps I'll change out the rear diff at 7000 miles and if it's still not black I'll increase the interval by 1000 miles until it goes black. Mine is also a daily driver until the warranty expires and then it's time to mod it

  14. #223
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    I'm going with 3qt Redline LW Shockproof and 1qt Motul 300 from now on with the PPGs (on recommendation from Andrewtech and the installer).

    But now I have a 5gal drum of Extra S in the garage. I'm assuming the Extra S is perfectly fine for the rear diff?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

  15. #224
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX
    perfectly fine, I'm sure you could easily get rid of the extra S if you didn't want it sitting around though
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

  16. #225
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    Ran 250 miles on the modded tranny with Napa gear oil and boy did it suck. It was supposed to be for breakin, but I should have went with Redline from the beginning. Shifting was notchy and I had a buzzing noise every now and then going into 4th gear with the Napa stuff.

    I just changed out to all Redline LW Shockproof and the change was dramatic. Smooth as silk again and no noises or issues.

    At 1,000 miles I'll drain and fill with the Motul/Redline and go with that for the next 15k. Motul was too expensive to waste on a break-in.

    So far my experiences has been:

    1) Stock factory fill: Acceptable performance.
    2) USC: Excellent performance.
    3) Extra S: Very Good to Excellent performance.
    4) Napa: Horrible experience.
    5) Redline LW Shock: Excellent performance.
    6) Redline LW/Motul 300: ??? TBD

    BTW: I don't think I've ever been able to get more than 3 qts of oil in my tranny before it hits the "F hole" (on level ground too)
    Last edited by Pavia; 06-26-2009 at 08:01 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •