>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 12
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i know but i have read the pages and keep hering different fluid being mentioned im guessing either go with ...

i know but i have read the pages and keep hering different fluid being mentioned im guessing either go with shockproof or redline... any pecial numbers on those brands?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xmikex View Post
    i know but i have read the pages and keep hering different fluid being mentioned im guessing either go with shockproof or redline... any pecial numbers on those brands?

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2192837-post47.html

Either that ^^^ for a mixture, or The Subaru Extra S fluid is very popular for a straight fluid.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

ok im really confused ive been looking throuugh the posts abnd keep seeing people talking about mixing oils and stuff can i jsut put in redline lightweight shockproof tranny fuid in and call it good? or is there a better fluid to put in without mixing? or is mixing the best way to go?

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I had very good luck w/ straight lw shockproof
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

thanks all ways helpful. on there website it says this...

A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions). It has excellent low-temperature flow which allows easier shifting when cold. May be used to obtain maximum power transfer in racing differentials which do not see high temperatures. Similar to a 75W140 gear oil, but with the lower internal friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.

it mentions cold temperatures, i am in southern california and it always hot around here will this effect my car in a negative way? and this is probably a really REALLY dumb question but redline is ok for a subi syncro transmission?

also im new at trannies and all this but is gear oil and tranny oil the same thing?
    and the differential and the tranny take different fluids rights?
    Last edited by xmikex; 09-01-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I switched to the Redline Shockproof (LW) when I was in Portland on vacation some years ago and my tranny was having difficulty shifting. Long drive from Montana and temps were in the 100's. I had a track day (PIR) in a couple of days and knew I wouldn't be real happy w/ the way the car was shifting. I swapped in the Shockproof and all was good (it was still in the 100's during the track day) so I think it will handle the heat just fine.

gear oil and tranny oil are used interchangeably.

the rear diff also takes a 75w90, but it's not fussy like the tranny- any 75w90 should be fine

afaik the shockroof is fine w/ synchros
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

ok thanks for all the help looks like ill be swapping my tranny fluid with some redline shockproof lightweight!! hopefully make some difference

Tranny fluid---the real deal

ok, since i dont have time to read through hours of pages of guys going back and fourth on tranny fluid, i was wondering if an experienced wrx user can give me some advice on whats worked for them....i have a 2004 wrx wagon thats stock....all im looking for is something that will help my car last the most amount of miles and take away the grinding feeling i get in the lower gears....dont care about cost and would prefer not to have to mix more than two things....any suggestions?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd suggest that if there were a single answer then all those pages you hesitate to read would probably not exist. If your existing fluid works for you keep using it. Otherwise look at the sticky thread for other options. There is no one universally liked solution except maybe the Subaru Extra-S stuff but I've not tried that.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yes, you make a good point....but, im looking for advice from somebody who has an earlier year WRX who doesnt use stock fluid, has high miles, and doesnt get that grinding feeling in the lower gears.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWRXwagoN View Post
    Yes, you make a good point....but, im looking for advice from somebody who has an earlier year WRX who doesnt use stock fluid, has high miles, and doesnt get that grinding feeling in the lower gears.
    You very well could actually read through the pages from the last thread instead of creating a new four pages in this thread, or just use a quality GL-5 fluid.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

DUB
    Seriously, it's only 172 posts. It shouldn't take you more than 20 mins to read.

>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.)

What you don't seem to understand is that if one person gives you a suggestion, five more are going to chime in with a comment. Then ten more are going to chime in with there .02. Eventually you have yourself another 5 page thread with no clear answer or advice, when you could have just read through this one from the beginning.

>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.)

I Support ClubWRX
    ninja merge!

You essentially have 5 choices BTW.

USC, any GL5, Subaru Extra S, Redline LW shockproof, or "other mix."

Personally I don't like the Syncromesh fluid in the USC and my Blackstone data seems to support that. I am running a Amsoil/LW shockproof blend right now and I'm happy with it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    ninja merge!
    nice.

Here's my input:

I ran straight Castrol Syntec Synthetic Gear oil 75w-90 for 1 year without any issues whatsoever. I just replaced it with Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 and the tranny seems to shifting just like normal. Why am I changing? I could the parts store was out of Castrol 75W-90 and I need to get my car back on teh road so I can pass the bi-annual inspection.

Do I beat the crap outta this car? No!! I have done some spirited runs on a mountain pass but this car is driven NORMAL for the most part. The gutted Honda is for bashing!!

Oh yeah, I drive a '01 Bugeye STi.
    '01 RHD Bugeye STi
    Bugeye Mafia #147