>>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) - Page 10
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; probably overkill, but I re-fill every spring (along w/ the rear diff- M1 in the rear diff)...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    probably overkill, but I re-fill every spring (along w/ the rear diff- M1 in the rear diff)
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post

I have decided on:
    2 qts Red Line 75w90NS
    ~1.7 qts Red Line Lightweight shockproof

Then thread was very helpful.
    I would HIGHLY recomend:
    2 qts Redline Lightweight Shockproof(Blue stuff)
    1.7 qts of Amsoil SVG 75w90

Its the same mixture Jeremy is using, and I have it in the 5mt in a N/A 2006 impreza wagon and I love it. Its been in for almost 5k now and still as amazing as the first day. 10x better than stock.

I've never tried the Extra-S, but everyone who has raves about it. And while the Amsoil stuff is kinda pricey at 12$/qt its still cheaper than Extra-S

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyphotog View Post
    And while the Amsoil stuff is kinda pricey at 12$/qt its still cheaper than Extra-S
    Not if you just man up and buy a bucket of the Extra S. Drops the Extra S down into cheapo-dino-oil territory.

DUB
    Some words of wisdom on the great tranny fluid debate:

Quote Originally Posted by Unabomber
    You kids and your degrees in tribology.....

Look, what Redline says, what Motul says, what Uncle Scotty says....it all means nothing. I've seen and talked to all the big names in the tranny industry and see the posts here for the last 38 years and here is the conclusion if you believe it or not:

Use what you want. The biggies are:

Motul 300
    Redline lightweight shockproof
    Uncle Scotty's cocktail

Try one and see how you like it. It may work for you, it may not.

Excuses:

Well it's the wrong oil weight.
    Well Redline says not to use in a synchro tranny.
    Well it's not API certified.
    Well it's the wrong color.

Guess what? Take your excuses and stick them in your bee bonnet as we don't care. There are many users here that have used, with great success, the "wrong fluid". Now if you want to "internet engineer" the "wrong fluid" users into changing to the right fluid, you will fail, so quit it already. The bottom line is your tranny may or may not like certain fluids and NO ONE on here has a perfect solution, only options to try.

I Support ClubWRX
    "Well it's the wrong oil weight.
    Well it's the wrong color"

those could be problematic from a warranty standpoint, that's another beauty of the extra S- it's the right weight, made for synco's, API certified and it's the right color- oh and it works

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    "Well it's the wrong oil weight.
    Well it's the wrong color"

those could be problematic from a warranty standpoint, that's another beauty of the extra S- it's the right weight, made for synco's, API certified and it's the right color- oh and it works
    True. If you are under warranty, you have an extra facet to consider. But, his point is just that none of that stuff matters in the end. If it works, it works.

I Support ClubWRX
    I fully agree- I ran "Hulk" green shockproof in my old 02 and worked great

As always, the key is to not exceed the maintenance intervals (ie, change your oil when your supposed to, if not earlier...)

No oil is going to repair pre-existing damage, prevent damage from abuse, or prevent normal lifecycle failure of parts.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    True. If you are under warranty, you have an extra facet to consider. But, his point is just that none of that stuff matters in the end. If it works, it works.
    Yeah, except I think in his eagerness to shut some people up on Nasioc he ignored a couple of key points. One of which being that I would not ignore a manufacturer's suggestions intentionally just because I thought I was getting a desired result. An example of this would be redline shockproof...I bet it does wonders for the STi 6mt but it says specifically on the label not to use it in a transmission with an internal lubrication pump because it can cause damage to the gearbox and clog the pump. Just because it shifts smoother at first does not necessarily mean it's good for the car.

This is, however, maybe the only time I can remember disagreeing with Unabomber.

fluid check

06 how is the Shockproof and Amsoil mix running for you? how many miles?

DUb how did you like the Redline shock and NS mix? miles?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sdh7711 View Post
    06 how is the Shockproof and Amsoil mix running for you? how many miles?

Seems to be working great, I'm at about 7k miles no issues, no noise.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by sdh7711 View Post
    I only have a few hundred miles on it thus far (I only drive ~100mi/week). So far so good. My tranny shifted fine before and it shifts fine now. It got a little queter, but I suppose it's just because I put in new fluid, any fluid would have done that.

Slight OT

I ask about the mixes 06 and Dub cause I switched to the shockproof 2 qts and Redline NS 1.7 quarts about 1,000 miles ago. Felt fine initially after I put the new mix in too.

I bought my car used back in March had no tranny problems (04 with 45 k on it).

Now at times when I park my car overnight in the driveway leaving it in reverse it is sometimes sticks something fierce in gear and takes some good force to budge it out.

Could this be an issue with the mix and I should try something else, the clutch is worn out, or worse???? The guy who owned it before me scorched and glazed the front rotors so it would not surprise me if he burned through the clutch quick too. Any feedback would help.

After Reading all of this in one sitting and being overwhelmed by so much information what is the best fluid i should run thats not extra s 2002 wrx 5mt keep in mind winter is coming up and it gets close to 10 deg f around here in ny
    2002 PSM WRX 5mt Hella Slammed/Turboswapped/DomTuned/Daily RIG

Quote Originally Posted by spoolordie View Post
    After Reading all of this in one sitting and being overwhelmed by so much information what is the best fluid i should run thats not extra s 2002 wrx 5mt keep in mind winter is coming up and it gets close to 10 deg f around here in ny
    The undisputed, scientifically-certified, absolutely best and ONLY fluid you should be using to keep your car running perfectly is...

arrgggh... my chest!!! can't breath... jekndhew oi hxhfhoio/ihdfiosfihidfsh <EOM>
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)