STi pulling to the right when on the gas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi pulling to the right when on the gas? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; About two weeks ago I was driving home from the store when I came around a bend and in the ...

Registered User The Black Pearl's Avatar

STi pulling to the right when on the gas?

About two weeks ago I was driving home from the store when I came around a bend and in the middle of the road is a baseball sized rock. I try to steer and go around it but the inside of my front drivers side wheel hits it. It didn't really throw the car but it made a decent thump. I was probably going around 30-35 mph. I came to a stop sign and continued to drive and i noticed my tire was going flat. The inside sidewall was torn and punctured from the rock. I put the spare on and drove home, which was about a mile away. I decided i was going to just get 4 good tires, so i waited until today due to low funds to get them. When I was driving home on the new tires i noticed when I got on the gas a bit it was pulling the car to the right. But when I was not giving it much gas it would be fine. I took it back to where I got the tires and they are saying that it sounds like its a CV joint problem or engine mount problem. Has anyone had this happen? Do you think its a result of the rock damaging the suspension from the force of the bump? Tires?

I didn't notice it before I got the tires but I did not get on the gas very much while driving on the spare. Didn't think it seemed like an alignment problem due to it only happening when i'm on the gas.

Sorry for the long details but I figured I would try to cover any possibilities for the problem.

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Your really NOT supposed to drive on the spare for more than 50 miles or so .....

im not entirely sure but awd tires have to be withn a certain tolerance.. the spare is much smaller.. running for the time tyou ran it might have screwed something up in your diffs.

check your brakes, could be that the one side is dragging ever so slightly causing a pull... or worst case the diff. but im pressy sure (someone correct me if im wrong please) the spare is close the the same diameter as the stock wheels. if not subaru wasnt thinking!
    member of teh sex... i mean bugeye mafia (#92)

as far as i know.. its close..

hence driving very short distances.

Your alignment is off from hitting the rock. You hit it on the inside edge of the rim which probably pushed the alignment so the wheel is pointing out a little bit. This would cause it to pull to the right under acceleration. You should be able to notice this on flat, level ground too when coasting.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Your alignment is off from hitting the rock. You hit it on the inside edge of the rim which probably pushed the alignment so the wheel is pointing out a little bit. This would cause it to pull to the right under acceleration. You should be able to notice this on flat, level ground too when coasting.
    he said its ONLY when on the gas.. so i was ruling that out

This car is not my daily driver. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Haven't driven the car since the flat tire. Just drove it today to get the new tires and I didn't take it over 45 mph. Probably only put 5 miles total on the spare if that.

I Support ClubWRX
    My STi had a very slight pull to one side whenever I hit the gas. It wasn't the alignment or a bent rim so I got over it. Never had any issues with uneven tire wear though.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Sounds like damage to your alignment. Just bring it in and have it checked.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

Quote Originally Posted by nsvwrx View Post
    he said its ONLY when on the gas.. so i was ruling that out
    Even if it's not happening on flat, level ground, it's still going to be an alignment issue. There may be something loose that is straight when coasting, but under power/torque the wheel points to the right. This sounds like typical behavior if there's a bent suspension component.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Going to try and take it in this week to get checked and aligned. Most people I have talked to say it sounds like its just out of align. Thanks for the replies! I will post an update whenever I figure out what the problem is, in case this happens to someone else.

I was going to say torque steer, but this is generally seen in FWD vehicles only.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    I was going to say torque steer, but this is generally seen in FWD vehicles only.
    No, that's not true. Under hard acceleration my STI exhibits a good amount of torque steer. All you need is powered front wheels to have torque steer.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    No, that's not true. Under hard acceleration my STI exhibits a good amount of torque steer. All you need is powered front wheels to have torque steer.
    That's what I assumed, but was not sure. My best guess would be this could be what he is experiencing. If he as ruled out alignment. I never really noticed it in the WRX so I couldn't vouch for it in the AWD.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    That's what I assumed, but was not sure. My best guess would be this could be what he is experiencing. If he as ruled out alignment. I never really noticed it in the WRX so I couldn't vouch for it in the AWD.
    You won't feel torque steer in every AWD car. My 911 was AWD but I never once felt torque steer because of the rear power bias (5/95 front/rear normally, going to 40/60 when the rear tires lost all grip). I've never noticed torque steer in any SUV that's AWD, but those tend to be much lower powered than my STI and also they usually bias power to the rear.
    Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast