>>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<<
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<< within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; TSB Date: 04/01/2003 Component Name: 090000 FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER NHTSA #: 093603 SUMMARY: FUEL SMELL IN COLD WEATHER. *SCC First ...

I Support ClubWRX

>>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<<

TSB
    Date:
    04/01/2003
    Component Name: 090000 FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER
    NHTSA #: 093603
    SUMMARY: FUEL SMELL IN COLD WEATHER. *SCC

First off smelling raw fuel on 02-04 WRX's during the cold weather is a known issue. There was even a TSB issued for it in 2003. Whether Subaru pays or you pay is a different story. Some people have gotten the item warranted and some haven't it seems to be on a case by case basis. As far as I can find, the parts required are:

(Subaru part numbers)

2 each #14075AA161 "Gasket Intake Collector" @$18.32 = $36.64
    2 each #14035AA421 "Gasket Intake Manifold" @$10.69 = $21.38

They have to remove both the upper and lower manifolds.

17544AA134
    The fuel line #807707140 -- no mention of the size. $25.86

Labor seems to run around $300.

Make sure to double check with the dealer for the parts and the TSB.

Apparently persistence pays off with SOA so keep bugging them to cover it.

I will be new threads on the subject into this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuel_smell_tsb.jpg  
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 01-30-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    I dont smell fuel in mine so I am assuming its been done.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Bad fuel lines

Okay, I'm completely aware of the whole reason why I smell gas at tempuratures below 15F on my 02. I have a copy of the service bulletin on what exactly needs to be replaced as well. Now I ask you, has anybody done this repair themselves (replacing the bad lines and possibly fuel rail?) and exactly how hard was it to do? I'm not about to drop over $500 just to fix a leaky fuel line! . I know it involves removing the intake manifold but that isn't impossible. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianO View Post
    Okay, I'm completely aware of the whole reason why I smell gas at tempuratures below 15F on my 02. I have a copy of the service bulletin on what exactly needs to be replaced as well. Now I ask you, has anybody done this repair themselves (replacing the bad lines and possibly fuel rail?) and exactly how hard was it to do? I'm not about to drop over $500 just to fix a leaky fuel line! . I know it involves removing the intake manifold but that isn't impossible. Please help!
    its a pita to remove the manifold and the wiring harness its even more fun to put the harness back on

find someone local who has done it before to help you
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

yeah this happend to me the other day when i was up at MT. Palomar. i was driving along and i kept smelling gas so i pulled over popped the hood and there was a puddle of gas boiling on top of my engine. scared the **** out of me. well any ways 200 bucks for towing and 420 bucks for labor, was a little of a sting but at least i know im not the only one with this issue.
    Pics of my STi
    2004 WRX STi (WR Blue)
    Organic Racing Clutch
    Turboback Exhaust + Up-Pipe
    Stage 2 Ecu Reflash @ 18 psi

i got my 02wrx last week, and noticed the smell the morning after i got it. I did some searching here and found this common issue. I immediatly called the dealer where i bought it and they agreed to fix it no charge. I'm glad about that -- however i do have to drive it 1 1/2 hours away to get it fixed. I'm not so happy about that.

I just bought my 2003 WRX a week ago and I'm having this issue as well. I have a couple of questions.

First of all, does this situation make the car dangerous to drive? It seems like it would, but I thought I would ask the experts.

Also, our local Subaru dealer's service department has been a real disappointment on my wife's LGT. I took my car to them for an inspection before I bought it and they noticed the fuel smell before I did. They put as their recommendation "tighten fuel rail." I'm guessing that they either a) don't know about the TSB (which makes me wonder about their competence) or b) know about it and are planning on hitting me with a higher bill once they have it on the rack. How would you guys go about getting this fixed, preferably for free? I understand about persistence, but I think I would have to go to SOA with this since, again, this service dept doesn't seem too great.
    Bugeye Mafia #163

2003 Silver WRX Wagon - Bone stock until I learn how to drive it.
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Cold air intake, cat back exhaust. Why mod anything else?

I Support ClubWRX
    First Id go to the service department and explain that you smell fuel, did research and found the TSB above that requires replacement of these parts. Make them search and find it. After they do work out the financial part. If they tell you no straight away, keep your composure and ask for the SOA reps #. Then go from there.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Well, now that you've posted the image I can see that it applies to MY2002. Since mine is MY2003, I'm sure that will make it harder to get them to fix it under the TSB. Maybe it is the fuel rail after all.
    Bugeye Mafia #163

2003 Silver WRX Wagon - Bone stock until I learn how to drive it.
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Cold air intake, cat back exhaust. Why mod anything else?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntman View Post
    Well, now that you've posted the image I can see that it applies to MY2002. Since mine is MY2003, I'm sure that will make it harder to get them to fix it under the TSB. Maybe it is the fuel rail after all.
    It applied to 2002+
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

It happened to me....took it to oasis, guy said he tightened it.... EVEN THOUGH I knew he couldn't have done so because the bolt/but was facing the other way.....
    Anyways, I did it myself...
    Check next post for link + pics...

Link to thread....

Here's a link to it

CHECK FOR MY NAME + PICS

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/engine-p...004-sti-2.html

umm, TSB means they gotta take care of it right? its like a recall, ur car can be completely outta warranty and it still will get done. they should have the parts ready for u
    07 WRX CGM, blouch tdo6 18g and supporting mods. Defi racer series gauges, some other random stuff.
    04 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE CC Silver (Sold and missed)

HAWK EYED ALLIANCE #686

i have a '02 wrx and my check engine light is on. the code is running to lean. would these promble of smelling gas make my car run lean.

Banned
    personally, I sorta like the gasoline smell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.