>>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<< - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<< within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I fixed this issue myself this past winter. It is a pain in the butt for sure....

I fixed this issue myself this past winter. It is a pain in the butt for sure.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Being fixed on my 02 next week by the local dealer under warranty... 135K miles. Wondering if it has anything to do with recent random misfire CEL.

Quote Originally Posted by yosty View Post
    Being fixed on my 02 next week by the local dealer under warranty... 135K miles. Wondering if it has anything to do with recent random misfire CEL.
    i dont think so but take it to the dealer and see if they can fix it and tell them about any problems you have

IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!

Ok so what if you have all of these symptoms but it is not cold outside? Then what? I smell raw gas at startup, poor gas mileage, low boost, and dipping idle but only when in gear (not in neutral).

02 WRX 177,000 miles
    only mod is an invidia up-pipe but the car was doing this well before that install.
    Any ideas? I see no wetness at all under inspection.

much thanks.

Oh and recently threw a p0172 cel.....

I Support ClubWRX
    Find and fix the gas leak; treat the PO172 as a PO171 for troubleshooting.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Now I think of it the car is telling you it's running rich; fix PO172 and see if the smell goes away, you may get lucky.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Now I think of it the car is telling you it's running rich; fix PO172 and see if the smell goes away, you may get lucky.
    It was bank one so where would I start? Sorry, suby nuby. My only experience is the up pipe so far and that was more just mechanics than diagnosis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bry831 View Post
    It was bank one so where would I start?
    There is only 1 bank.

See:
    Running Rich Bank 1 After Mods..
    Bank 1 Lean ...help
    02 wrx CEL help
    check engine light po171

I just noticed this smell and a small pool of fuel underneath the V in the manifold on the drivers side of the engine bay. Is this something that SOA will pay for because of the TSB (I have a 2004 sti) or are they only doing it for the WRX's?

Quote Originally Posted by Errodis View Post
    I just noticed this smell and a small pool of fuel underneath the V in the manifold on the drivers side of the engine bay. Is this something that SOA will pay for because of the TSB (I have a 2004 sti) or are they only doing it for the WRX's?
    I am pretty sure they won't honor the TSB anymore. Maybe if you are the original owner but probably not. Won't hurt to call and ask. Regardless SOA sells the fix as a kit that you can purchase at your local Subaru dealer and it is only like $40 or so. The $ is in the time to change it out. You have to remove the entire intake manifold because that part is underneath and attached to it. The part is what delivers fuel to the injectors. You will also get new gaskets in the kit for both sides of the manifold. You will have to remove the intercooler, alternator, ac compressor, etc. and so on. Pretty much anything in the way of the intake mani. If you have a decent amount of experience with your subie or any other car you shouldn't have a problem with this repair. Should take around 4 hours. If you take it to someone to have it fixed it will run you around $450-500.

Just got home from dealer fixing fuel leak on my '02. Free repair under warranty. Washed the car, put on a new radiator hose and fixed my windshield washer too. Can't believe they covered the problem on an 11 year old car! Subaru is alright with me!

I am pretty sure they won't honor the TSB anymore. Maybe if you are the original owner but probably not.
    Subaru will most likely honor it because it is a liability and leaves room for a lawsuit if something potentially happened. I would have your local dealer fix the issue. I know its not a total recall, because a lot of states don't have the required weather conditions for this to take place, which saves Subaru money so they don't have to replace all the fuel line problems for cars that won't need it in warmer climates. My car started to have this problem and I live in Washington, which is not listed for repair of this part. Since I do live east of the mountains for college it gets quite cold and was able to smell gasoline one day when driving around town. Came back on the west side of the mountains for X-mas and went to my local Subaru Dealership in Olympia to get this fixed (since Ellensburg doesn't have one). They said that they will have to message Subaru directly, since it is not as cold and they can't copy the effects of the colder climate that the east side has, otherwise the cost would come out of their pocket.

In the end I hope Subaru confirms the fix so it doesn't come out of my pocket or me having to drive to Yakima to get it fixed (since it's on the east side of the mountains and the closest to Ellensburg (30 miles away)). Sorry for the rambling.

I am pretty sure they won't honor the TSB anymore. Maybe if you are the original owner but probably not.
    Subaru will most likely honor it because it is a liability and leaves room for a lawsuit if something potentially happened. I would have your local dealer fix the issue. I know its not a total recall, because a lot of states don't have the required weather conditions for this to take place, which saves Subaru money so they don't have to replace all the fuel line problems for cars that won't need it in warmer climates. My car started to have this problem and I live in Washington, which is not listed for repair of this part. Since I do live east of the mountains for college it gets quite cold and was able to smell gasoline one day when driving around town. Came back on the west side of the mountains for X-mas and went to my local Subaru Dealership in Olympia to get this fixed (since Ellensburg doesn't have one). They said that they will have to message Subaru directly, since it is not as cold and they can't copy the effects of the colder climate that the east side has, otherwise the cost would come out of their pocket.

In the end I hope Subaru confirms the fix so it doesn't come out of my pocket or me having to drive to Yakima to get it fixed (since it's on the east side of the mountains and the closest to Ellensburg (30 miles away)). Sorry for the rambling.

The warranty ends in 2014 per the dealer who fixed mine so if you need it done, better do it now! It doesn't matter if you are the original owner or not. The warranty is on the car, not you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.