>>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<< - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<< within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; They should, yes....

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    They should, yes.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User CerealkillerJST's Avatar
    Has anyone attempted this job themselves? Having the manifold off provides opportunities for other job/mods such as TGV deletes, turbo inlet upgrade, and phenolic spacers.

You can't blame a compass for pointing north.
    '02 Wagon, modestly modded for now.

I am planning to do this soon. I will take lots of pics.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I just started having this issue last Friday on my 2003 WRX sedan (133K miles). It was super cold (for SoCal anyway) and the raw gas smell was really strong. I thought it might be the fuel filter so i swapped that out but that didn't work and so I was finally able to trace it down to the other side of the car (it was windy earlier and skewed my ability to trace the smell) just below the turbo coolant reservoir. It was just pooling there.

I took it to the mechanic who was practically just closing for the weekend. He called me today and said that he still hasn't identified the leak because there are so many parts above the area that the leak is that it is taking him forever to get them out.

Sounds like this is going to get expensive. On the plus side, I found out why I was getting erratic boost. Vacuum line was split at the waste gate and as soon as i touched it it broke into several pieces.

May be time to upgrade to an STI

the wvl-22 fuel rail replacemen recall is not a mandatory warranty item for dealerships. as it is a problem only on older bugeye wrx's each dealership has the option of replacing it on good will warranty or not, their choice. so if you can't get the dealership to soak the cost then try another dealer. I replace them free of charge but other dealers may not.

And a TSB is nothing but a service notification to the technician. TSB does not equal warranty, just a concer.

i just bought an 03 bugeye from a buddy of mine, that was the first thing i noticed when i started it up the day i picked it up. i could smell gas from inside the car. Just wondering if the dealer would still honor the recall seeing how i'm not the original owner?

i only noticed the smell that one day though. i may have to look into it a bit further to see for sure if it is leaking at all..

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1997 S-10 zr2- work/quad hauler
    1991 crx si-r- all motor B16
    1989 crx si- beater

"It looks like Scarface sneezed on you car!"

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    they should, i got mine done last year, not the original owner either
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

sweet! i'll have to look into it further for sure...

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1997 S-10 zr2- work/quad hauler
    1991 crx si-r- all motor B16
    1989 crx si- beater

"It looks like Scarface sneezed on you car!"

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    just call your local dealership, give them your vin, and tell them you want your recall done. simple as that
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by scoobietech View Post
    the wvl-22 fuel rail replacemen recall is not a mandatory warranty item for dealerships. as it is a problem only on older bugeye wrx's each dealership has the option of replacing it on good will warranty or not, their choice. so if you can't get the dealership to soak the cost then try another dealer. I replace them free of charge but other dealers may not.

And a TSB is nothing but a service notification to the technician. TSB does not equal warranty, just a concer.
    eh, SOA said otherwise. When I called them they said that the dealer 'HAS TO DO THE SERVICE' and that TSB # gets them paid. just saying.

So I have this problem on my '04 WRX. Has anyone had any luck getting the recall payed for on an '04?

Also I've read through this thread, and haven't been able to determine the threat of fire. I had smoke coming out from underneath the manifold on the passenger side bank today. Kinda freaky.

Edit: So I just got home and took a look under the hood, and there is a lot of gas there. More than what would be caused from "seeping". I got onto the SOA website and looked under my vin number for recalls, this one wasn't on it. I'll try to get it into the shop soon anyway, because I'm genially afraid of there being a fire, or me passing out at the wheel! I'm freekin High right now! If I had the time I would do it myself, hope the shop doesn't take me for a ride.
    Last edited by WhiteRabbit80; 02-01-2011 at 07:20 PM.
    1997 Impreza Brighton
    2004 Impreza WRX
    2002 Honda 919

Drive it like you stole it!!!

I have an 02 that has been getting the smell of fuel on cold days, the CEL has been coming on because of misfire and my gas mileage has not been quite up to par. Is that because of the fuel rail or something else? I replaced plugs for the misfire but it still shows a misfire. I even used dielectric grease on the coils. If it is the fuel rails, what do I need to replace/fix the problem?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Cayce View Post
    I have an 02 that has been getting the smell of fuel on cold days, the CEL has been coming on because of misfire and my gas mileage has not been quite up to par. Is that because of the fuel rail or something else?
    How are we supposed to know without any other data? Diagnosing a car over the internet is not as easy as people think. Fix the fuel leak and see if the problem goes away. That would be the common sense thing to do as if the vehicle is leaking fuel that could be a fire hazard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Cayce View Post
    I replaced plugs for the misfire but it still shows a misfire. I even used dielectric grease on the coils. If it is the fuel rails, what do I need to replace/fix the problem?
    There is a TSB that Subaru put out that discribes whats involved in fixing the fuel rail. Also most dealerships are fixing this for free. Please re-read the thread again. You posted in the misfire thread. How many different things were listed that cause misfires? Plugs were only one of those.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Yeah, I read the other thread. I hadn't started any other checks at the time. I was just seeing if someone may have experienced something similar to the jerking after changing the plugs. Thanks for the list of possible problems on the misfire thread by the way.

I'm trying to get a handle on all of this. I have an 03 wagon with 105,000 miles. I smell the raw gas this winter and am getting worse gas mileage. I bought my wagon used at a large Chevy dealership. There is a local Subaru dealer here in Tulsa (actually Broken Arrow). Are they required to fix this problem, and if they are, what do I even say to them as to where the problem is? Appreciated any help on this.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.