>>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<< - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<< within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I had my fuel hose recall service done on my 02 WRX wagon here in Des Moines, IA and ...

Intense Gas Pedal Vibration after Fuel Hose Recall Service

Hi, I had my fuel hose recall service done on my 02 WRX wagon here in Des Moines, IA and when i went to pick up the car, and was driving it home, I noticed that the gas pedal was vibrating almost buzzing in the mid to high rpm range, and when I say vibrating, I dont mean the subtle hum that is a charachteristic of the WRX, I mean a large vibrating buzz that almost feels like u can detect something rotational going on thats transmitting through the gas pedal, it vibrates so much that on long highway stretches your foot goes to sleep, thats now present the vibration is in the gas pedal. I want to take the car back to the dealership and tell them to fix it, since it was NOT occuring when I dropped the car off for the service, service WHICH was Subaru recall service, not elective maintenance or something I scheduled myself. It seems to me my dealership should find, and fix this vibration that started after their mechanics did Warranty service on the vehicle. Does this sound right? Am i totally off base here? I have contacted SOA and told them the situation, and they are willing to play advocate for me when I take the car in, I'm just nervous that either, the mechanic having to do non paid fix-their mistake work, wont give a crap, or that they'll end up trying to work me over for hundreds more dollars, when In my opinion they should fix the problem they caused.

Any feedback would be appreciated on how I should handle this, or if this problem sounds familiar to anyone please let me know. I appreciate your time. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by evowrx View Post
    Hi, I had my fuel hose recall service done on my 02 WRX wagon here in Des Moines, IA and when i went to pick up the car, and was driving it home, I noticed that the gas pedal was vibrating almost buzzing in the mid to high rpm range, and when I say vibrating, I dont mean the subtle hum that is a charachteristic of the WRX, I mean a large vibrating buzz that almost feels like u can detect something rotational going on thats transmitting through the gas pedal, it vibrates so much that on long highway stretches your foot goes to sleep, thats now present the vibration is in the gas pedal. I want to take the car back to the dealership and tell them to fix it, since it was NOT occuring when I dropped the car off for the service, service WHICH was Subaru recall service, not elective maintenance or something I scheduled myself. It seems to me my dealership should find, and fix this vibration that started after their mechanics did Warranty service on the vehicle. Does this sound right? Am i totally off base here? I have contacted SOA and told them the situation, and they are willing to play advocate for me when I take the car in, I'm just nervous that either, the mechanic having to do non paid fix-their mistake work, wont give a crap, or that they'll end up trying to work me over for hundreds more dollars, when In my opinion they should fix the problem they caused.

Any feedback would be appreciated on how I should handle this, or if this problem sounds familiar to anyone please let me know. I appreciate your time. Thanks.

All I can say is take it back. Don't wait too long. Take it back and tell them what is wrong. Talk to the service manager. Don't let them BS you. Tell them what is wrong and refuse to take it in it's current conditon.

It will be a tough attempt.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

I took my car to the dealership for this recall fix. it took about 5 hours no problems with my car for a couple days, then when i was drivin down main steet in my town my subbie started to sputter and die out like it wasen't getting gas and it threw a cel. I had to pull over and call my gal to bring my AP. I cleared the code and was able to get my car home. When i looked up the code it was my "camshaft position sensor." Turns out for some reason my sensor wasen't plugged in all the way. Since then I cleaned the sensor and reinstalled it makin sure it was plugged in, and I haven't seen a cel since and no more gas smell.
    07 WRX STi Stock - my new baby
    02 WRX 225 hp 222 tq - Not at Fault Accident TOTALED

Anyone having problems with fuel mileage

after having the fuel line warranty repair done?

I had the recall fix done on my 2002 WRX Impreza last Tuesday. I'm now getting about 9 miles to the galloon. I took it back to the dealer, but the service manager says there's nothing wrong with it. Before the recall fix I was getting much better mileage, though I don't know how much.

There's no pools of fuel under the hood.

Any advice is helpful.

I was wondering. Does any one know the size of the fuel line that Subaru replaces? I am going to install a new turbo inlet and figured I should just fix this issue myself.

I would like to get the fuel line before I start working on my car.

Thanks
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Could this be?

Same thing happening, took it to a dealer, had it on a lift, checked all the lines and everything was tight. I bought my 04 wagon from a propulsion engineer who is (supposed to be) smart. I asked him if he smelled any gas on cold days and he said yes, for the first 5 or 10 minutes, or until it reached optimal operating temp. His reasoning was that since the 2.0l is turbo'd, it runs extra rich until the 02 heats up and switches the ecu off startup. It makes sense to me, any input?

Quote Originally Posted by wagoneer04 View Post
    Same thing happening, took it to a dealer, had it on a lift, checked all the lines and everything was tight. I bought my 04 wagon from a propulsion engineer who is (supposed to be) smart. I asked him if he smelled any gas on cold days and he said yes, for the first 5 or 10 minutes, or until it reached optimal operating temp. His reasoning was that since the 2.0l is turbo'd, it runs extra rich until the 02 heats up and switches the ecu off startup. It makes sense to me, any input?
    Just do the recall repair. The smell never goes away unless you turn the heater off.
    Meng Hang

Quote Originally Posted by SkunkyZ View Post
    I took my car to the dealership for this recall fix. it took about 5 hours no problems with my car for a couple days, then when i was drivin down main steet in my town my subbie started to sputter and die out like it wasen't getting gas and it threw a cel. I had to pull over and call my gal to bring my AP. I cleared the code and was able to get my car home. When i looked up the code it was my "camshaft position sensor." Turns out for some reason my sensor wasen't plugged in all the way. Since then I cleaned the sensor and reinstalled it makin sure it was plugged in, and I haven't seen a cel since and no more gas smell.
    That sucks. Next time, make sure the guy who works on your car has done it multiple times before you become a guinea pig. The guy who did mine did it 3 hours flat, because he does them all day long.
    Meng Hang

Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    personally, I sorta like the gasoline smell
    i know right

nah, but seriously, i have noticed this the past few days, temps been staying in the 20s. Today I started looking around and saw this:

This was what I saw that was wet and where a strong gas smell was...i thought bout just hanging out there to get hiiiiigh

Im going to call the dealership around the corner from my house in the morning to see if they will do anything about this. thanks guys!

I called SOA last night and was given this number:

"Technical Bulletin – Engine fuel line extended warranty program 01-170-09"

SOA explained that for all the other states they did give that 12year/unlimited mileage warranty which basically means that if you bring in the car before 2014 (02's) then they HAVE TO FIX IT. I called the dealership this morning and explained it buuut he tried telling me that they need to get it in to check it out first, see what exactly is wrong and then, blah blah blah, i just told him i do all my own work and was going to do this too till i heard they have to do it for free, "Ok then, how bout tomorrow morning? A bit of a tedious job so I will need the car most the morning" ha, anyway, GET ER DONE!!!

ONLY ISSUE is that the recall ONLY covers the drivers side, sooo i am going to have to fix the passenger side leak myself =\

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    I'm called the dealership in Santa Fe on tuesday and told them that " I'd like to make an appt for the raw fuel recall On my MY03 WRX, he checks to make sure they have a "kit" in parts, they do and I'm going in monday to have it fixed.

Sounds good, here's the catch they told me it might take 3 days! Why? Because they have been "breaking stuff" doing the recall.

I told him that my mechanic had put a new shortblock in it this summer and that the whole thing had come apart 3 months ago. Hopefully the don't break too much.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

^Yikes. yeah the dude told me it would take most the morning, buuuuuut i dunno. I guess we shall just see. The only thing i am thinking now is there is a bunch of snow here and the wife's little eclipse probably isn't going to be able to follow me all the way across town to drop it off, soooo looks like i might be sleeping tomorrow morning at the stealership

I am in New Jersey and bringing my car in for recall. The service person I spoke with recommended that while the job is being done I replace the turbo inlet boot and coolant lines since everything is taken apart. He says there is no labor charge, just a charge for the parts which is around $220. Is this for real?

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    They try to get money put of you. It's the deal, in my case I got out of the free recall for $14.87. They wanted to do $685 worth of work.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

So if I call up my local dealer they have to take care of this on my 02 correct? I smell gas all the time and it doesnt get very cold in orange, ca. I called the dealer when I bought the car two months ago and they said there was no recall for it. Since this is a common problem they should take care of it?
    Thanks
    -Curt

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.