>>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<< - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on >>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<< within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well i locked my keys in my car while it was running a good 45 mins and i think i ...

Well i locked my keys in my car while it was running a good 45 mins and i think i smelt fuel when i got in......... I was kinda cold and couldnt really breath being sick........ The past couple of days we have been getting some 10 degree weather which is kinda low for my area.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette View Post
    LoL me too. But I don't want the fumes to become harmful because I kinda like this whole "living" thing.
    Ha ha... You'll be fine. If you're leaking, the only thing you'll be breathing is raw hydrocarbons (HC) which is entirely unburnt fuel. Which smells quite potent but really isn't that bad. It can give you headaches though. Carbon monoxide (CO) is partially burnt fuel and is what can kill you. CO is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. You only emit CO out of your tailpipe (post-combustion) so unless you sit in a sealed garage with your car running or put a hose into your car from your exhaust you'll be fine.
    -created in the ominous shadow of The Great Vassar-
    Blobeye Syndicate #Eleventy-Seven

Ewwww...

Ohio's been posting some low temps lately and my '04 just started doing this....

crrraaapp

Quote Originally Posted by Destros View Post
    ...you sit in a sealed garage with your car running or put a hose into your car from your exhaust ...
    +1 on teaching ppl to kill themselves with their cars
    (nothing you couldn't learn from Movies like Office Space tho...so no harm done)

Know that the temp is not as cold i don't smell it......

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by 4cyturbowrx View Post
    Know that the temp is not as cold i don't smell it......
    Same here. It was only bad for like 2 days and now, nothing. Meh.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I think its only going to happen when its like 10 or below outside......... might just get my mech to get it looked at any way.....

i fought with my subaru dealership and even got SOA involved to get that TSB fixed. the dealer had the last laugh i guess, they didn't plug in my #4 coilpack all the way in and it fell out while i was driving. #4 went dead.... that was awesome...

on a serious note, "in theory" no one beyond 2003 should have this problem. the TSB mentions engine numbers beyond this have the fix already. but of course, who knows what subaru did with the fuel lines.

so the people with the 05's with this issue might be experiencing something different... remember, it "was fixed"

I think something with this type of problem its going to take miles and years on our cars to see if they actually did fix it..........

if you smell the gas, then it sounds like either they didn't fix it like the TSB said they did, or there is another problem that needs to be addressed. if they dealer doesn't want to help, contact SOA. however, if you are modded, you are hurting yourself in the arguement. you know what they will say, "you modded your car and we don't fix warranty stuff like that."

i used the "this makes the car very unreliable and unsafe to drive" to get my TSB honored

Quote Originally Posted by taerron View Post
    on a serious note, "in theory" no one beyond 2003 should have this problem. the TSB mentions engine numbers beyond this have the fix already. but of course, who knows what subaru did with the fuel lines.

I just got this two days ago. Started the car in 5 degree weather and in smelled for about 10 minutes then went away. I've also been getting some bad gas mileage too....

I'm in a 04' WRX. So it looks like no fix for me. I'll have to take her to the mechanic.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

although the dangers are rather low, the smell of gas is actually gas leaking on the top of your engine block under the intake manifold. at least thats where the TSB said it was. if you have the exact same problem, then you have gas leaking on your engine too. the temps outside will never allow it to ignite, but don't wait too long

Yeah... I mentioned earlier in the thread that SOA was supposed to have fixed the problem on MY '04 and newer. Also, it might make a difference whether or not your car was made in America or Japan. Check your VIN. Japanese first digit is a "J". US model is either a 1, 4, or 5. Mine was built in Japan. My car is a 2005 with 70k. A friend or mine has a 2004 STi with 56k his just began leaking recently. Also made in Japan. It is possible only the US models have received the TSB repair prior to release for sale. I have no idea. Just a theory. When mine began to smell, I thought nothing of it. I just got exponentially worse, very quickly. But all situations are different... I would though, highly recommend, if/ when you need to fix it, do the repair yourself. Read my DIY. You will save hundreds of dollars.

Well, I have had this issue on and off for a few years. This year though, it has gotten to be pretty much every time I start up in cold weather. My '02 just hit 60k miles, and so I brought it in for the dreaded 60k service today. I decided that I would bring along that TSB and have that looked at also. Living in northern New England, my dealer knew right away about this and said they do a number of these every year. The difference here is I have a warranty, and they said they had only ever done the procedure on "high milage cars."

I have an extended warranty on my BugEye until June of this year. Its apparently called "Classic Coverage Extended Warranty" and it was through Subaru. I asked if this (the gas issue not the 60k service) was going to be covered under the warranty? The tech, who was nice said, "well it's pretty cut and dry really. We can look up the part numbers and see if they are covered under the warranty." He showed me the computer and said if the part number has a "C or G" next to it that means its covered by a "classic or gold" warranty respectively. If it doesn't, its not covered.

Of course, when we went to look up the part numbers from the TSB, the computer could find them, but he couldn't find the "grouping of numbers" that corresponded to this actual service. It looked like some things had C's and G's and some things didn't. The tech said he was going to have to talk with the service manager in the morning and go over the actual numbers/procedure. They are supposed to let me know tomorrow.

I really hope it is covered because it will come close to doubling the cost of this trip to the dealer. Anyway, I know how this can suck, but we'll see how it goes on this front.

Yeah. I've got the gold, extended an additional 48k from when I bought the car. I've voided the crap out of it by now though. I'm only keeping it for it I ever need a motor or tranny. Then I'll put my stock crap back in. All I can at least... Or I might just cancel it. I haven't made up my mind yet. Since I don't trust anyone to work on my car other than myself, it's rather difficult to give it to those who could care less about my baby. Ha Ha I'll put the Valet flash on it. No boost and rev set to three grand. Anyways, it would be cool if the repair is covered. Fuel system should be. If "fuel system components" (i.e. lines, rails, hoses, injectors, pump, regulator) are covered in you plan, it shouldn't matter what part number it is. They are covered components. They could just be trying to pull a reason out of their a$$ to not have to pull off your intake for free. No place has money to spare right now. But, I don't know... Get one of their warranty brochures. It should explain everything covered on both plans. If it's not covered, it's not a difficult repair, just tedious as sh*t. Like a USA Olympic gymnastics coach once said incessantly, " you can do it!"
    Last edited by Destros; 01-25-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: ...i am a bafoon.