Power Steering Pump, Pulley, or Belt?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Power Steering Pump, Pulley, or Belt? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've been having problems with my power steering on my 2002 USDM Sedan WRX for a couple weeks, especially ...

Power Steering Pump, Pulley, or Belt?

So I've been having problems with my power steering on my 2002 USDM Sedan WRX for a couple weeks, especially on cold starts. When I turn the wheel from a stop (i.e. to get out of a parking spot) the power steering belt skips and screeches loudly, and the wheels struggle to turn.

Before the problem got this bad, I used to smell burnt rubber on cold starts. Now I know what it is...

I've also had occasional trouble starting the car, which leads me to believe that the alternator pulley may be skipping on that same belt.

I've ordered a replacement belt in hopes that a new belt at the correct tension will fix the problems. However, my concern is that there may be excess resistance (seizing?) on the power steering pulley causing the belt to skip. If so, I'm wondering if I may have to replace the pulley on the power steering pump and/or the pump itself. Any experience here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike T
    Last edited by mterry; 01-17-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: forgot to add MY

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Only way to tell is too remove belt and spin power steering pump.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

sounds like power steerum pulleys siezing up a bit, that'd explain the squealing and burnt rubber AND poor steering, the pulley may be coming apart from the fins inside, yank the belt off, and spin the pulley alot, look for dead spots or points where it resists the spin

My vote is the belts are old and loose. I had a similar problem with my car, and ignored it for a while because it was very infrequent. Then one belt broke. I had them replaced by a local shop. They used standard aftermarket replacement parts on it. Those lasted about 10 days before I had the problem again. I had to buy genuine Subaru parts to get the right size belts. Seems like they're slightly undersized, and if you buy aftermarket options, you'll never get them adjusted properly (you'll be at the max extension on the adjusters, and they'll still be loose).

I thought my pulleys were siezing up, but I was easily able to spin them when the belts were off. Its a cheap attempt to fix it at $10 a belt.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

l have the same problem what was the out come

I had the same problem. I went through 3 diff belt to I went with a suby belt... But also replaced my tensioner to....

Quote Originally Posted by jsin93816 View Post
    l have the same problem what was the out come
    Check your belt tension and condition first, 1/2 in. of deflection for every foot of free span

ill check the belt and pulley and hope its just the belt

I Support ClubWRX
    Replacing the pulley on the power steering will do nothing to fix the problem is there is resistance as the cause of the resistance would more than likely be the power steering pump itself.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.