Oil consumption
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil consumption within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I checked my oil today it has been 2250miles since i changed the oil and it was a quart low ...

Oil consumption

I checked my oil today it has been 2250miles since i changed the oil and it was a quart low is that alot of oil to be consumed? I don't have any leaks and don't ever see any blue smoke... just seeing if this is close to normal.
    I'm running basically a stg2 +fmic and fuel rails (unsure of tune) and 12lbs of boost(til I figure out my em)... just want to make sure my motor is not self destructing or other bad things

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantonienn View Post
    just want to make sure my motor is not self destructing or other bad things
    It may or may not be; the oil consumption in and of itself will not tell you.

What was the consumption like during the previous oil change? Is this oil interval different dramatically? Is the PCV system OK? Is this a new oil type or brand?

1 L in over 2K mi still fits the "normal" range, BTW. The real question is whether this use pattern is elevated, and if so, why.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 01-15-2008 at 11:01 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'd say that's on the high side of normal. How do you drive your car? Like you stole it, aggressively, normal, or like your grandma?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

i thought you were allowd 1 quart for every 1k miles

also it would be great if you answered the questions sd posted
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

sorry didn't get a chance to post it yesterday... I drive alot and aggressively... and it has a jdmver8 6speed so it sits at about 2800rpms for most of my daily drive. I drive it ~90 miles every day like I said I'm usually pretty calm ~65 mph most of the trip and I get on it when I pass... I haven't monitered the oil that closely previously because it sat for most of the previous 2 changes so I couldn't really see any loss because I just changed it at 3months when it was not being drove alot... I will try to keep better track now

It has always been my understanding that that is about normal since the TD04 is water and oil cooled. Under heavy or sustained boost, the heat from the turbo will "burn" oil ever-so-slightly.

I kind of assumed that it would use some just wanted to make sure it wasn't using way to much

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    i thought you were allowd 1 quart for every 1k miles

also it would be great if you answered the questions sd posted
    ???

By that logic a 3000 mile oil change interval seems barely adequate, and a 5000 mile interval would be suicidal.

I drive roughly 70 miles a day, sometimes a little more or less. Anytime I've checked my oil it's been fine.

What mods are on the car? (to the op)
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

mods are:
    mrt3" exhaust
    perrin fuel rails
    invidia header/uppipe
    greddy profec spec-b (set at 12 or 13.35 psi)
    jdm ver 8 six speed
    mrt frontmount
    hks bov(want to get rid of it and swap for a bypass valve)
    and a bunch of cosmetic stuff that dosen't really pertain

I also just remembered that:
    I think it may have been right at the low mark on the stick at the beginning of the oil change ( I broke a small plastic peice in the head and lost a bunch of oil and just filled it to be close)

so the more I think about it that may have been my problem so I dunno
    and thanks for all the help guys

Hopefully that fixed your oil consumption. Unless you're regularly tracking the car, or drive like Michael Schumacher, a quart every 1000 miles is not normal.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I wish I could track the car... and thanks again for all the help guys

Oil Consumption for 2007 WRX

Hi guys!
    As I noticed through my search, most of oil consumption problems happen with older models.
    I have a 2007 WRX.
    I made the first service at 12.000 km, June 2007, no problem.
    For some stupid reason, since I'm not driving on a daily basis, I didn't check the oil until 30/12/2007 (20.000 km), and I discovered (almosto shocked) there was no indication of oil on the oil indicator (and no light was on)
    I ran to the closest SUBARU mechanic, and we found out that there was more than 2 liters of oil missing (I'm using 10-60 synthetic oil).
    In general I drive the car in a very tough way, racing the engine, driving on highway at more than 200 km/h, fast overtaking etc...
    I currently live in Turkey, but I drive very often to Greece (where I come from)
    I contacted the official SUBARU MOTORS in Turkey, and they told me that it's normal (???), but if the problem consists they could open the engine and either change pistons or "brush" the cylinders (!!!!!!)
    Being more shocked, I called the Greek SUBARU MOTORS, and the told me that it's the first time this happens with a WRX in Greece, and since it's still in guarantee they are willing to replace the short block at no cost.
    Right now I'm just monitoring the oil consumption, to see how it's going.
    Any comments-suggestions-opinions???

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru USA would also say that 2L used in 8000 km is normal. Here they'd claim that 1L used per 1,600 km is at the limit of "normal"

I'm surprised Subaru Hellas is willing to replace the motor if the only indication of anything worrisome is the oil consumption you've mentioned. Do they know you didn't check for 8000 km? I'd recommend checking the oil more frequently -- maybe every 500 km or sooner -- and seeing what your consumption is like. Aggressive driving will consume some oil usually, and I'd not recommend going that long again without checking the level. Normal operation causes some oil to enter the intake path via the intercooler, for example, and high temps and boost pressures can amplify this effect.

How long is the oil change interval (how often does the manual or dealer say the oil needs to be changed)?

What oil does your owner's manual recommend? Are you running Selenia 10W-60 or Castrol or what? Do you have a choice of another brand or does the dealer recommend a specific brand?

To give you an idea of the use pattern I've seen, my 2.0L 2002 WRX has used more than 600 ml of 10W-30 Mobil1 in 6500 km. My car is not used aggressively, speeds are around 130 kph or less, and the outside temperatures are usually 15 to 40 or more. Oil consumption is different depending on the oil used in my car. It used the least oil with Mobil1 5W-40, the most with Mobil1 5W-30 or 10W-30 (notice that the Americans recommend and use lower oil viscosities -- the reasons usually are that the cars are not used as aggressively, the oils are changed more frequently, manufacturers are regulated with respect to fuel consumption so they use thin oils to promote economy, and thinner oils are thought to absorb heat well while generating less friction etc.) My motor now has 150,000 km and consumes less than 500 ml per 5000 km (depending on what oil I've put in).

If it were my car I think I might not worry quite yet, but I'd watch what the oil does over a normal oil change period and keep in touch with the dealer to keep them informed. It's a difficult decision though since you have run the motor with low oil and you don't know for how long.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-26-2008 at 08:29 AM.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Usually i take better care of my car.
    Just because of practical reasons (my garage is 5 min walk away from my home), and because I don't use it on everyday basis this happened (I mean checking after 8.000 km...)
    The fact that in the first oil change (at 12.500 km) nothing was wrong (actually the second, since the first was at 1.600 km), plus every mechanic in Greece was telling me that this kind of cars never get any mechanical problems, let me stay not alert...
    I had a Nissan Sunny 1.6 1992 model, more than 100.000 km, from 1998 till 2003, driving it agressively, 30-50 km every day, and never had oil consumption issue...
    The oil change interval is set at 12.500 km, using Shell Helix 10W-60 (in Greece they told me they reccomend 10W-50 oil)
    I suppose I can use any brand, they just recommend Shell Helix.
    In Greece, I only talked with the General Technical Director in SUBARU Motors Hellas on the phone, and he was absolute, "we must replace the short block, this model never had oil consumption problem"
    Do u think the engine might be harmed, because it was operating with just 2L of oil???

Other than that, I was just planning to do as you said, watch over some period of time to see how it goes...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by miltos_WRX07 View Post
    The oil change interval is set at 12.500 km, using Shell Helix 10W-60 (in Greece they told me they reccomend 10W-50 oil)
    Either should be OK then.

In Greece, I only talked with the General Technical Director in SUBARU Motors Hellas on the phone, and he was absolute, "we must replace the short block, this model never had oil consumption problem"
    Do u think the engine might be harmed, because it was operating with just 2L of oil???
    I don't think anyone can know without examining the motor. I see two possible issues. Hard acceleration or cornering causes the oil pump to miss what little oil there is in the sump; this will accelerate wear on parts that need lubrication. Oil additive depletion and oil breakdown is the other issue. As oil volume decreases it becomes less effective at lubricating and protecting the motor due to thermal stress and simply because there is less of it, reducing its effective life span.

Since the technical director was absolute and his knowledge is highly specialized, it might be a good idea to have them look at the car closely and ask them what happened to the oil. In other words, will replacing the short block not just repair any damage to the motor done by running with low oil, but also fix the cause of oil consumption or is the oil consumption caused by something else that would also need their attention. Then, I suppose you could decide what to do. (I suppose they'd be interested in looking at the car anyway if they've never seen a case of consumption before).

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.